Thread: 2022 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Default 2022 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Best of luck to all this year.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default latest fishing report at Dworshak

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Best of luck to all this year.
    has anyone been doing any kokanee fishing at Dworshak this year yet?
    thanks

Default Dworshak

Headed down tomorrow for the weekend anyone had any luck yet??

Went out 3/16, rained off and on, wind kinda sucked. Still managed 28, although they were much smaller then last year. Trying again Wednesday.

I might be able to head up next Tuesday. I assume they are still down by the dam? Deeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Fog View Post
    I might be able to head up next Tuesday. I assume they are still down by the dam? Deeper?
    Scattered schools from dam to above Freeman. We marked them mostly 14-18'. Very small and soft this year meaning small hooks and plenty of stretch. Can be difficult to detect hits/hook ups even with sensitive rods. Fried up tasty though!

3 of us fished for 6 hrs yesterday around the dam and towards Merrys. Not one bite, nada, zilch. Talked to one other boat and they had caught 1 dink. We trolled with 1, 2 and 3 ounces at 1.3 mph, 60 to 100 ft. out. Corn an Power maggots. Could find any live maggots. Are we too early or do we need better skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Elkchaser View Post
    3 of us fished for 6 hrs yesterday around the dam and towards Merrys. Not one bite, nada, zilch. Talked to one other boat and they had caught 1 dink. We trolled with 1, 2 and 3 ounces at 1.3 mph, 60 to 100 ft. out. Corn an Power maggots. Could find any live maggots. Are we too early or do we need better skills?
    Mark any on sonar? They tend to be shallow this time of year, probably under them with those weights.

Default Kokanee fishing report

Quote Originally Posted by crazcougg View Post
    Mark any on sonar? They tend to be shallow this time of year, probably under them with those weights.
    Has anyone got a kokanee fishing report?
    checking on a good locations
    Thanks

Default Dworshak last week

Put in at Big Eddy Marina 5-26 & had to go as far as Dent Bridge to find ANY Kok's at all.
    We fished adjacent to the camp ground on the far side of the reservoir marking lots of fish @ 25'-30'
    Turns out all the fish we caught were in the 6" to 8" size

Talked to a few local people & all said the reservoir is loaded with fish but due to an over population & not enough feed
    their growth has been stunted.

Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DAKOTA View Post
    Put in at Big Eddy Marina 5-26 & had to go as far as Dent Bridge to find ANY Kok's at all.
    We fished adjacent to the camp ground on the far side of the reservoir marking lots of fish @ 25'-30'
    Turns out all the fish we caught were in the 6" to 8" size

Talked to a few local people & all said the reservoir is loaded with fish but due to an over population & not enough feed
    their growth has been stunted.

Dakota
    tried some kokanee fishing today (6/9/22); started at Burce's Eddy (no bites); then motored up to Canyon Ceek (few bites; landed 6 small ones); then motored up to Elk Creek and fish back down to Dick's Creek; few bites; landed 7 small ones)
    Strange part was never marked one fish on the fish finder; so don't know where they are?
    anybody else having any luck??
    later

Quote Originally Posted by whatadeal View Post
    tried some kokanee fishing today (6/9/22); started at Burce's Eddy (no bites); then motored up to Canyon Ceek (few bites; landed 6 small ones); then motored up to Elk Creek and fish back down to Dick's Creek; few bites; landed 7 small ones)
    Strange part was never marked one fish on the fish finder; so don't know where they are?
    anybody else having any luck??
    later
    Hey thx for posting your Koke fishing experience. A friend caught 27 but didn't say where or how deep. They're dinky this year. Maybe you didn't mark them due to being so small/sonar sensitivity, they're near the surface, or further up the lake due to the Dam spilling big time? What size did they average? Did you measure them?

Quote Originally Posted by icelander View Post
    Hey thx for posting your Koke fishing experience. A friend caught 27 but didn't say where or how deep. They're dinky this year. Maybe you didn't mark them due to being so small/sonar sensitivity, they're near the surface, or further up the lake due to the Dam spilling big time? What size did they average? Did you measure them?
    they were all approx. 6/7 inches

my sonar showed fish where I was parking the boat so it was showing the small fish.

I tired every dept from 3 ft to 30 ft; ones I caught were with 2 oz. and 70 ft out.

Quote Originally Posted by whatadeal View Post
    they were all approx. 6/7 inches

my sonar showed fish where I was parking the boat so it was showing the small fish.

I tired every dept from 3 ft to 30 ft; ones I caught were with 2 oz. and 70 ft out.
    Thx! When they're that small it can be hard to detect bites and I've drug em' around not knowing they're on.

Kokes prefer water temps of around 54F, but will move into warmer water to feed on plankton, then back down to cooler water. I use this site to help me know what depth to initially target, then adjust from there knowing temps vary some throughout the pool. https://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/ft...y/tempstrings/
    My guess is catching will improve when the dam flows decrease. Hoping F&G will double limits to help thin out over population.

Quote Originally Posted by icelander View Post
    Thx! When they're that small it can be hard to detect bites and I've drug em' around not knowing they're on.

Kokes prefer water temps of around 54F, but will move into warmer water to feed on plankton, then back down to cooler water. I use this site to help me know what depth to initially target, then adjust from there knowing temps vary some throughout the pool. https://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/ft...y/tempstrings/
    My guess is catching will improve when the dam flows decrease. Hoping F&G will double limits to help thin out over population.
    checking to see if anyone has a fishing report for dworshak kokanee fishing?
    Thanks

Default where is 2023?

2022 was at a virtual standstill so people quit fishing. I don't even see the moderator post to start 2023! So here's what I think happened in 2022....I only went once, around the first week of June. I found very big schools of kokanee, especially a huge school near Elk River, but the fish were 150'-180' deep. In all the years that I have successfully fished Dworshak, the fish were always in the top 30' of water, so I was not geared up for 150-180'! I believe IDF&G ceased putting fertilizer in the reservoir, due to the high cost, which resulted in the small fish size and a return of the fish to depths where they were finding plankton.
    The only way I have ever fished kokanee at that depth is to anchor and handline for them at PendOreille, too many years ago.
    i will be geared up this spring and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbow View Post
    2022 was at a virtual standstill so people quit fishing. I don't even see the moderator post to start 2023! So here's what I think happened in 2022....I only went once, around the first week of June. I found very big schools of kokanee, especially a huge school near Elk River, but the fish were 150'-180' deep. In all the years that I have successfully fished Dworshak, the fish were always in the top 30' of water, so I was not geared up for 150-180'! I believe IDF&G ceased putting fertilizer in the reservoir, due to the high cost, which resulted in the small fish size and a return of the fish to depths where they were finding plankton.
    The only way I have ever fished kokanee at that depth is to anchor and handline for them at PendOreille, too many years ago.
    i will be geared up this spring and see what happens.

I went a few times and everything I caught was small. The number of kokanee were very high last year, which meant there was not enough food. We would catch some of the small ones and then switch to bass fishing. I kept hearing about schools of larger fish, but never really found any myself.

You mention the 150-180' and that reminds me that I was seeing schools of fish that deep, but never tried to fish them. Maybe jigging? Deepest I fished was 60' and that is where I caught the biggest ones.