Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any updates for Buckboard

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Congrats on the pig Roger. You’ve had a pretty good Koke season.
    Thanks Dave, between age & getting up early for those one day events it taking its toll especially when I get back to the furnace conditions we live in. Then its 2days of recovery from the 1day binge spent on the lake getting a fishing drunk. I've been making it a point this summer to see more getaways at least once a week. Weather & wind makes the decision at the moment of pulling the trigger. Those "PIGS" have been few and far between in recent years for me. I remember one I caught years ago at 4lbs 110z.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Default 10 Days at Buckboard

Just got back from Windy Buckboard and had a great time. Fishing was spotty at times but finally figured out some go to riggs. Pink/silver dodger and a Beavis pink fly were most productive for us for Kokes and a Purple/silver wedding ring worked fairly consistent for Mac pups down to 70 feet north of Brennegers crossing. 1.3 MPH for both. Also would like to thank the owners of the store at Buckboard for many years of great service to us fishermen and good luck to the new owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikesef View Post
    Just got back from Windy Buckboard and had a great time. Fishing was spotty at times but finally figured out some go to riggs. Pink/silver dodger and a Beavis pink fly were most productive for us for Kokes and a Purple/silver wedding ring worked fairly consistent for Mac pups down to 70 feet north of Brennegers crossing. 1.3 MPH for both. Also would like to thank the owners of the store at Buckboard for many years of great service to us fishermen and good luck to the new owners.
    Going down this weekend if the big W is manageable. Would like to go hard for pups if we get our kokes early. Did you get very many pups? I only have 4 or 5 in the freezer and would like to get a few more for smoking. Been doing fine on kokes this season, but no so great on pups.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus60 View Post
    Going down this weekend if the big W is manageable. Would like to go hard for pups if we get our kokes early. Did you get very many pups? I only have 4 or 5 in the freezer and would like to get a few more for smoking. Been doing fine on kokes this season, but no so great on pups.
    We were stacking our Koke rigs about 10 feet above the Mac rigs. We never got a bite from a Mac unless the Koke rig was on. And we didn’t get any kokes on the stacker, but had the same rig singled on the othe downrigger and got all of our kokes on that one at same depths. Go figure.

We were stacking our Koke rigs about 10 feet above the Mac rigs. We never got a bite from a Mac unless the Koke rig was on. And we didn’t get any kokes on the stacker, but had the same rig singled on the othe downrigger and got all of our kokes on that one at same depths. Go figure.
    We ended up with 7 pups before the wind kicked up and it was our last day when we figured it out so I can’t tell if it would be consistent

We ended up with 7 pups before the wind kicked up and it was our last day when we figured it out so I can’t tell if it would be consistent
    Yeah, we have had some strange days at the Gorge this summer also. One day my boy and I was fishing for kokes. We had two rods stacked on each side with the exact same rig. Got our fish in a about an hour but every bite was on the right side of the boat not 1 nibble on the left. Then we started fishing for pups down at 90 feet just off the bottom. Was using 4 and 5 inch spoons and all we could catch was kokes, so we stopped not wanting to kill kokes. Never caught a koke on a 5 inch spoon before and that day we hooked up on 3 in 20 minutes. That's fishing.

The only one rod catches fish phenomenon caused me to make a rule for anyone that fishes on my boat. We alternate reeling in fish no matter what rod it comes on. Everyone deserves to have a good time.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

The only one rod catches fish phenomenon caused me to make a rule for anyone that fishes on my boat. We alternate reeling in fish no matter what rod it comes on. Everyone deserves to have a good time.
    That is a good rule. We do the same thing. If I have a guest I let them catch most of the fish. We take my boys friends sometimes and we let them have an experience. We also split the fish evenly so everyone has some good eating. Nothing better than seeing a kid who never fished catch fish.
    Last edited by rufus60; 08-20-2019 at 08:01 PM.

I had the privilege of putting my teenage granddaughter on Kokes this Summer and I was probably happier than she was.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I had the privilege of putting my teenage granddaughter on Kokes this Summer and I was probably happier than she was.
    I know the feeling. Good deal. Lots of kids today don't experience fishing. Take a kid fishing and they are hooked.

Melanie and I have a "baseball" rule. 1st fish on personal rod goes to who's rod it is. after that we alternate, but you get 3 strikes. Fish is released for whatever reason? That's a strike. Fish gets off when it's close to the boat and visual? That's a strike. 3 strikes and it's the next person's turn. We adopted this rule due to having to release coho in the salt with a fin. A guest got to play 4 or 5 fish that had to be released, Melanie and I just sat on our hands and then came up with a way to make it a level playing field. That being said, kids and special guests get just about all the hook-ups. bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12