Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Deadwood

Quote Originally Posted by NiteHawk View Post
    ...which is the current lake record and is mounted on my wall.
    Is there a website that one can view the records for individual bodies of water? I'd like to look at the records for the waters I fish. Thanks!

Fish and game has a list on there site

Thanks rem40xb1 but the only one I know of on the F&G website is for state records. I'm looking for records for certain bodies of water. NiteHawk has the current lake record rainbow for Deadwood so there must be a place that keeps track of this info.. I'm curious what the kokanee record is for Deadwood and other lakes.

Thanks campdog but that's not what I'm looking for.

Any news on deadwood? Is there still a ton of snow up there?

Default Deadwood.

Still 50 inches at Deadwood Summit.

Anybody try to get in there last weekend ?
    Scott

Lund Pro Sport 1600
    Merc 65

Anyone make it up there yet?

I called Lohman ranger station and they said the road through cape horn was open but VERY rough with bad wash boards--The camp areas are open at deadwood

Lots of down trees & slides not safe for towing boat in.

planning 3 day trip to Curlew next tues - appr. any new reports from over the weekend - LP has been slow - sounds like its hit and miss on Koks this year?

Default deadwood roads

Quote Originally Posted by Kokezero View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and new to the kokanee fishing. I have never been to Deadwood Res. I have heard that it is another hot spot for Kok's is this true? My setup right now is a 12 inflatable raft with 30lb minkota tolling motor. I have most of the gear wedding rings/spoons and dodgers/flashers.
    I would like to know your input on the Dipsy Divers (since I don't have DR's) and a kokanee setup. I used to use a similar set up for Coho's back in South Dakota. I have two 9' rods both with line counters and 10lb test mono is this too lite of line for the dipsy Magnums?
    Any input would be great.

DV

Just to let everyone know, if you're headed up to Deadwood, beware of the road washouts due to the early run off...in pretty dry years, that road can still be a nightmare if you have a trailer/boat heading up there. Make sure you have good securing straps for your boat and gear, and anything you're pulling is going to be a huge dust ball, so invest in a boat cover too before you head up. and definitely post your results!! i have been wondering recently if the Koks up there. caught a hybrid trout up there one time that jumped before he broke me off, and i'll be darned if he wouldn't give those Henry's Lake trout a run for their money. this guy was massive...and of course no one believed me!

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend staying home on this one.......

Leave the lake for me!

Fished about 4 hours on Thursday, all day on Friday, and about 4 more hours on Saturday morning. We brought home 29 Kokes averaging close to 15 inches and about 10-12 trout. Threw back A LOT of trout.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deadwood, June 10, 2016_1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	8625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deadwood, June 10, 2016_3.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	8626Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deadwood, June 10, 2016_4.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	8627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deadwood, June 10, 2016_6.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	8628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deadwood, June 10, 2016_7.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	8629

Default roads

Is the road open from Warm Lake through Landmark and then south?

Physion

Yes. That is how I came out. There were a few drifts that weren't shoveled out very wide, but you could get through. At the drifts there was some mud, water, and a few bumps/holes, but easily passable.

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    Is the road open from Warm Lake through Landmark and then south?

Physion
    Yeah it is where campdog and I came out from. We would've gone in had we known the road was open there as well. Good luck fishing up there!

Default Good luck in 2016

20# Kamloops caught in August of 2015. Can't wait to get back in 2016. The road is open at Dagger Falls but hasn't been graded so pulling the boat isn't available for me yet. The road should be graded in a few weeks.

Name:	IMG_1731.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	8643

Its only a matter of time before the rainbows are gone there thanks to this forum an no one throwing them back. That's not a kamloop BTW, its a Rainbow & they don't get restocked.

QUOTE=Kokedawg;59047]20# Kamloops caught in August of 2015. Can't wait to get back in 2016. The road is open at Dagger Falls but hasn't been graded so pulling the boat isn't available for me yet. The road should be graded in a few weeks.

Name:	IMG_1731.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	8643[/QUOTE]

Default Deadwood Rainbows

They have been there for 20 years that I know of and people have been catching them and they are still there

Ya expect 20 years ago you didn't have the internet. Had a buddy up there this weekend lots of boats couple jet boats. In 1-2 yrs the biggest rainbow you'll see cone out of there 6-8lbs. Over fished the big guys and they aren't living long enough to grow to 10+

QUOTE=rem40xb1;59068]They have been there for 20 years that I know of and people have been catching them and they are still there[/QUOTE]

Ya expect 20 years ago you didn't have the internet. Had a buddy up there this weekend lots of boats couple jet boats. In 1-2 yrs the biggest rainbow you'll see cone out of there 6-8lbs. Over fished the big guys and they aren't living long enough to grow to 10+

QUOTE=rem40xb1;59068]They have been there for 20 years that I know of and people have been catching them and they are still there
    [/QUOTE]

So who are we saving these 10 lb+ fish for--They are not that easy to catch to start with. The most I have caught in a 3 day trip is 2--I had 42 hrs trolling before I caught my first one. I don't think most people will go to deadwood and catch one of these big fish--I am more interested in the chinook myself and they are not easy to catch also in the 10lb range

Who are we saving them for??? Wow exactly why they will be gone. Some fishermen have zero clue, or a lot by reading this forum.

I threw back 20 last year so they can get bigger an we can catch them again. How many did you harvest last year remex40?

So who are we saving these 10 lb+ fish for--They are not that easy to catch to start with. The most I have caught in a 3 day trip is 2--I had 42 hrs trolling before I caught my first one. I don't think most people will go to deadwood and catch one of these big fish--I am more interested in the chinook myself and they are not easy to catch also in the 10lb range[/QUOTE]

Who are we saving them for??? Wow exactly why they will be gone. Some fishermen have zero clue, or a lot by reading this forum.

I threw back 20 last year so they can get bigger an we can catch them again. How many did you harvest last year remex40?

So who are we saving these 10 lb+ fish for--They are not that easy to catch to start with. The most I have caught in a 3 day trip is 2--I had 42 hrs trolling before I caught my first one. I don't think most people will go to deadwood and catch one of these big fish--I am more interested in the chinook myself and they are not easy to catch also in the 10lb range
    [/QUOTE]

I caught 4 and kept 2 in the month of august--I saw one other big fish caught--I know of ten+ people that fish for the big fish and the keep some and put some back just like me--You keep putting all the fish back for all the clueless people--They will appreciate it

According to the fish biologist responsible for planting Kamloops in Deadwood, this fish is a Kamloops. This fish was also taken to fish & game who also confirmed it was a Kamloops. This might have been the new state record if it was a rainbow, but it wasn't.
    There are plenty of them, in the lake, for a person to take one as a once in a lifetime fish.
    Fishing is a wonderful pastime and I encourage more people to do it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast