Thread: New to Kokanee Fishing...need gear advice!

Default New to Kokanee Fishing...need gear advice!

Currently wintering over in Hermosa Beach California (near LA) and planning on returning to home in Central Idaho (Payette Lake Area) in April. Going to give Kokanee a try this year. Have the down riggers, thanks to Christmas and the wife). Now I need rods and reels. For rods am trying to decide on Lamaglas or Vance (sorry all the tacked shops in my area sell salt water gear...little stiff for Kokes). I am stuck with the internet and askingbthe experts on this forum. For reels, thinking line counter either Abu Garcia or Daiwa Lexa. But am really looking for advice!

Welcome aboard. I bought the Lexa linecounters and really love them. The 100’s are perfect on a 7.5’ or 7’ rod. I’m not a fan of the spiral rod but many are. I am currently using Velocity and Okuma Kokanee rods but felt a Tica in Sportsman’s the other day that made me want to take it home.

If you go with an 8’ rod, I’d suggest a little larger reel for balance like an Abu 5600.
    Last edited by SuperD; 12-03-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

My boat is a very used aluminum 16' boat, so not wanting to go with an 8ft, rod if possible, as it can be a pain trying to net the fish. Thanks for the advice on the Lexa, will go with that one. I did own a spiral rod once and it was good for downrigger work, but not sure I want to go that way again. Which Tica did you look at? I am a little Leary of Lamaglas as I have noticed a number of negative reviews and comments about their terrible customer service (don't know if it is true).

For price and performance, look at the Velocity rods or the Okuma SST in 7.5’. If you want a 7’ rod, I don’t think that you can beat a Shakespeare Agility. I use them for both trout and Kokanee.

Which is better in a smaller boat? 7.5 or 7 ft? It seems that the 7,5 gives a little more rod to bend at the downriggers but a little harder to get the fish to the net if you are fishing alone. Any particular velocity rod? Also how do you feel about Lamaglas?

I'm partial to Okuma's reels. I use the Convector CV15D on a pair of 7½' red kokanee signature rods and I'm using the Coldwater low profile 354 line counter I purchased early the year on a pair of Vance's 7' spiral wrap rods, like you I like the spiral wraps. I do have a pair of 7' Velocity rods as well which I'm working on marrying a couple more of the Coldwater reels to those.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

My Lamiglass rod is too expensive and fragile for me to comfortably use. I have my Lexa 100’s on the Shakespeare Agility 7’ rods, which are super cheap but a great rod. I don’t get puckered up if something happens to one and easy to replace for under $40. This is probably my least expensive setup but also one of my favorites.

Hey SuperD, do you use the ultralight Shakespeare Agility 7' rod?
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

I looked at the Okuma reels on line. They look sweet but they look big for Kokanee and small trout, but then I am no expert and have never seen one up close. I did find a Bass pro shop within 2 hours of driving, guess I will have to make the drive and actually touch a few reels, tho the Lexa still looks good.

I used to downrigger for trout using braided line and a snubber in front of the dodger. Is that still a good set up or should I go to mono and drop the snubber.

When I was doing a lot of steelhead and striper fishing I invested in some serious Loomis rods. Gave that up when one of my guests managed to break 2 of them on the same day. Needless to say he was scratched from fishing buddy list...almost threw him overboard...ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by KokaneeJoe View Post
    Hey SuperD, do you use the ultralight Shakespeare Agility 7' rod?
    yes, model on my rods read, ACA 6070 2UL, 7'0", 2-8 LB LINE

Quote Originally Posted by Cybersnow View Post
    I looked at the Okuma reels on line. They look sweet but they look big for Kokanee and small trout, but then I am no expert and have never seen one up close. I did find a Bass pro shop within 2 hours of driving, guess I will have to make the drive and actually touch a few reels, tho the Lexa still looks good.
    I concur on your size assessment. The low profile Okuma reel would work very well on the 8' rod you are avoiding. BP might not have a great selection of Kokanee reels. Buy the Lexa, I promise you'll be happy.

I used to downrigger for trout using braided line and a snubber in front of the dodger. Is that still a good set up or should I go to mono and drop the snubber.
    Drop the braid and go back to mono without the snubber. Getting the correct rod eliminates the need for the snubber.

One more rod to take a serious look at is the new Velocity red and black rod. 7’-3” and very limber but some backbone in the lower third of the rod.

The low profile cold water 354D is not as big as claimed at all. The only issue I would have is I wanted to change the single handle to the smaller duo handle. The duo is slight smaller but I'm good with what I have.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    The low profile cold water 354D is not as big as claimed at all. The only issue I would have is I wanted to change the single handle to the smaller duo handle. The duo is slight smaller but I'm good with what I have.
    Reels are always a very personal preference thing. IMO they are a heavy reel for a shorter rod and makes the setup less balanced. As mentioned, I think it is better suited for an 8' rod but that's just my own personal preference.

I will take a look at it before I buy reels, not sure if BP has them in stock, guess I will just have to take 1/2 a day and go see. They do look like they would make great steelhead reels...did learn how to backtroll last fall and caught 2 25+Lb wild steelhead as well as a number of 10+Lb keepers.

The red and black velocity, is that their new Team Kokanee? And here is another dumb question, in rods is glass any better than graphite?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybersnow View Post
    The red and black velocity, is that their new Team Kokanee? And here is another dumb question, in rods is glass any better than graphite?
    Yes on the Team Kokanee rod. Graphite vs. glass is almost a Ford/Chevy thing. I feel like glass is more of a noodle rod, which I like, where as the graphite has the very soft/fast tip but has backbone farther up the rod than the glass. My Lamiglass UL bends all the way down to the handle.
    Last edited by SuperD; 12-05-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Did a rod comparison with the rods that I liked best...down to 2 rods. The Lamaglas CGR762L for $85 or the Velocity Team Kokanee for $80 (plus shipping). Both look like good rods. Any suggestions on which to pick and where to shop? Also thinking of 8lb mono....any thoughts on that?

I believe that Velocity comes to one of the big sports shows in Idaho and the prices are significantly reduced. Give Rob, owner of Velocity, a message or call through their website to see if the show is anywhere near you. Lower price, no shipping.

8 lbs. mono is a thumbs up.

X2 on the Velocity, I personnel like one piece rods. 7 to 7 1/2 ft in length,for kokanee fishing. Good luck on your quest. A man never has enough rods. But one of each

After a trip to the local BP shop, I have decided on the 7’3” Velocity red/black rod and the Lexa 100 reels. Going to load them with 10’lb mono. Need to buy 4 ea. Any recommendations on where to order them? Thanks everyone for your help.

If you are an Amazon Prime member, they are the way to go with the reels.

Is the velocity rod a 1or2 piece rod?

Team Kokanee rod is a 2 piece. If you can wait a month you should be able to get show pricing and save about $30.