Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wyoming Flaming Gorge

Quote Originally Posted by TroutScout View Post
    This quote from Green River Newspaper:

"Anglers coming from outside of Utah or Wyoming may not purchase a reciprocal stamp, and therefore must purchase a license for the state(s) they are going to fish. Starting January 1, 2019 the Wyoming reciprocity stamp will cost $30 and the Utah reciprocity stamp will cost $10".
    YEP, this is old news new this year.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I don't believe the article got the cost of the stamps right but someone can correct me.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

As some Utah residents know from early stamp purchases before Jan 1 we were able to purchase the stamp for $10 from Wyoming online. After Jan 1 that price changed to $30 in accordance with 2019 Wyoming fishing regulation pg 4. Wyoming residents can purchase the Utah stamp for $10 which that fee hasn't changed even before regulation changes came about for 2019 Utah fishing guide book pg 7
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by sawhorseray View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to scrap Flaming Gorge for this year. Last year when we were there I took my ESS puppy over to where a bunch of folks were boondocking to learn how to swim. My little boy, Bob, had a great time and swam like a fish. When we got home Bob got a ear infection that my vet said most likely came from there. It was a "rods" infection, not yeast, and was very hard to get rid of, cost me a couple of grand in vet visits. Very dangerous infection, bugs that can eat clear thru to a dogs brain. Yep, FG's getting scrapped! RAY
    Have you done any research on Strawberry/Soldier Creek Reservoir? The kokanee fishing has been coming on pretty good the last couple of years. You get to keep 4 versus 3. The place does have some odd restrictions though. You can't fillet your fish while at the reservoir and must leave the head attached as well. You can gut them is all. I know; stupid beyond belief. It's because they have a slot limit on cutthroat trout there and we're to stupid to know the difference between a kokanee and a trout. But the kokanee fishing can be great.

Camping is all Federal and managed by a concessionaire. Last year it was American Land & Liesure, but heard a rumor it would be a different company this year. There is only one camping loop that has electric/water hook-ups and only about 25 spaces. Reservations fill very fast. Lots of dry camping spots available. If you want to leave your boat in a day use slip, it will NOT have electrical hook up on the Strawberry side and I'm not sure if they have any on the Soldier Creek side.

Just wondered if you had looked into Strawberry as an alternative to the Gorge.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Default Am I reading this right?

I have to buy two non resident Lic. Plus two recip stamps to fish both sides of the Gorge? The total cost non residents is 250.00 plus boat stamps and inspections. Jeez, all that for six fish? Is Wyoming and Utah trying to run the retired fisher persons out of the area. Not to mention soon to be 3.50+/gal. gas to get there. Damn looks like I’ll be staying home this year. Hello Big Blue and Lake Granby. Maybe going down to Navajo.
    CH
    God does not subtract one minute of life for the hours spent fishing.

No, you aren’t reading it right. You only have to buy a license for the side of the lake you plan on fishing. If you choose to buy the 2 licenses, there is no need to buy a reciprocal stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    No, you aren’t reading it right. You only have to buy a license for the side of the lake you plan on fishing. If you choose to buy the 2 licenses, there is no need to buy a reciprocal stamp.
    I believe that if you are not a resident of either state, you CAN'T buy the reciprocal stamps. I really can't blame either state for requiring non-Utah/Wyoming residents to have a non-resident license to fish in their respective states. The compact agreement between Utah & Wyoming only applies to residents of either/both states. It looks like the Gorge isn't going to be as crowded this year as it has been in years past. Several folks have also stated it probably won't be worth the additional cost for just 6 fish. Apparently, the increase from 16 fish to 24 fish for the additional lake trout pups allowed with the 6 salmon isn't justifiable for the increased license costs either. Hope you can find success in your home waters COfisherman.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Ok but I can’t just buy the reciprocal to fish across state line?
    CH

Quote Originally Posted by COfisherman View Post
    Ok but I can’t just buy the reciprocal to fish across state line?
    CH
    The reciprocal only pertains to Utah & Wyoming residents, not to other residents outside of Utah & Wyoming. All you need is a nonresident license pertaining to the state you will be fishing or both. If you decide to purchase only one license you cannot cross the state line of other state to fish that side.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Default I don’t mind paying for no resident lic.

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    I believe that if you are not a resident of either state, you CAN'T buy the reciprocal stamps. I really can't blame either state for requiring non-Utah/Wyoming residents to have a non-resident license to fish in their respective states. The compact agreement between Utah & Wyoming only applies to residents of either/both states. It looks like the Gorge isn't going to be as crowded this year as it has been in years past. Several folks have also stated it probably won't be worth the additional cost for just 6 fish. Apparently, the increase from 16 fish to 24 fish for the additional lake trout pups allowed with the 6 salmon isn't justifiable for the increased license costs either. Hope you can find success in your home waters COfisherman.
    I don’t mind paying for nonresident lic and a stamp to fish reciprocal stamp. Last time up we stayed in the RV which has solar, and is fully self contained. We fished both sides of the lake. We bought a 10 day nonresident lic and the reciprocal stamp and the AIS inspection even though the boat had a tamper proof tag on it from Colorado. And that was all we had to buy to fish. We spent lots of money there in both states., but looks like we aren’t welcome any longer. So we will stay home again this year. The fish aren't as big here but they pretty good from Blue Mesa, and Granby. My lic is only 9.75 a year and no AIS inspection fee here. Too bad, I was looking forward to another Gorge trip this year, maybe my last.
    CH.

Quote Originally Posted by COfisherman View Post
    I don’t mind paying for nonresident lic and a stamp to fish reciprocal stamp. Last time up we stayed in the RV which has solar, and is fully self contained. We fished both sides of the lake. We bought a 10 day nonresident lic and the reciprocal stamp and the AIS inspection even though the boat had a tamper proof tag on it from Colorado. And that was all we had to buy to fish. We spent lots of money there in both states., but looks like we aren’t welcome any longer. So we will stay home again this year. The fish aren't as big here but they pretty good from Blue Mesa, and Granby. My lic is only 9.75 a year and no AIS inspection fee here. Too bad, I was looking forward to another Gorge trip this year, maybe my last.
    CH.
    You could just buy a non-resident license from just one state and fish that side of the border. Wyoming sells Annual at $102, 5-day at $56, or daily at $14. Utah sells Annual at $75, 7-day at $40, or 3-day at $24. Limits can be had on either side and if you only make one trip a year, the cost for the daily, 3/5/7-day licenses are very reasonable. Even if you want to make 2 trips a year, the shorter period licenses are still the way to go. Do you really think you need more than 2 or 3 days to catch your possession limt of 6 salmon and/or 24 lakers? You are welcome in both states COf, but you just need to decide what your best financial options are.

If you know human nature, you just have to know that there are going to be some folks that show up this summer like they always do and get the surprise of the trip. I'd hate to be the clerk on the other side of the counter at the Lucerne store this summer.

I don't believe the article got the cost of the stamps right but someone can correct me.
    Lol, yea it’s funny how people that can’t do anything about an issue, gets dumped on. I guess its human nature. I think I got this figured out, I’ll double our limit at twice the coast, I’ll just bring Mom. She loves to fish as much as I do.
    Keep your line in the water, and the net handy.
    CH

Default 6 koke Possession limit?

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    You could just buy a non-resident license from just one state and fish that side of the border. Wyoming sells Annual at $102, 5-day at $56, or daily at $14. Utah sells Annual at $75, 7-day at $40, or 3-day at $24. Limits can be had on either side and if you only make one trip a year, the cost for the daily, 3/5/7-day licenses are very reasonable. Even if you want to make 2 trips a year, the shorter period licenses are still the way to go. Do you really think you need more than 2 or 3 days to catch your possession limt of 6 salmon and/or 24 lakers? You are welcome in both states COf, but you just need to decide what your best financial options are.
    Can you tell me where in either state (UT/WY) you see a regulation that states it is lawful to have 6 koke's in possession?

Thanks
    Mike Fresh

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfresh View Post
    Can you tell me where in either state (UT/WY) you see a regulation that states it is lawful to have 6 koke's in possession?

Thanks
    Mike Fresh
    Mike,
    My understanding was that Utah changed to 6 but Wyoming didn't. See page 3 of the Utah reg book.
    Last edited by SuperD; 04-12-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Yep, what SuperD said.

Wyoming side: "Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Sweetwater County.The creel limit on trout (excluding lake trout) shall be four (4) per day or in possession. No more than three (3) shall be kokanee salmon."

Utah side: "It is your responsibility to know and follow each state’s laws and rules for Flaming Gorge." And: "Starting in 2019, you may have up to two daily limits in your possession when fishing for multiple consecutive days at Strawberry Reservoir or Flaming Gorge Reservoir. For more information about when you may possess two daily limits, see page 19. " And for Flaming Gorge: " Limit 4 trout or kokanee salmon (a combined total), excluding lake trout, and no more than 3 may be kokanee salmon."

If you are not a resident of Wyoming or Utah and you want to have 6 salmon in possession from Flaming Gorge, you MUST have a Utah license.

Bob, I would expect that even with a Utah license you must be in Utah (e.g., camped at Lucerne not Buckboard) or in transit to your Utah home in order to posses?

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Bob, I would expect that even with a Utah license you must be in Utah (e.g., camped at Lucerne not Buckboard) or in transit to your Utah home in order to posses?
    I would not bet on that statement. I always stay in Manilla or at Lucerne when I fish the Gorge. If you want to camp at Buckboard instead of Lucerne because of the FULL hookups at the commercial campground at Buckboard (NOT the Federal campground), then I have no clue what a Wyoming CO might say or do if he/she checked you and you have a 2-day possession limit legally caught on the Utah side of the Gorge. Since I'm not ever going to be in that position, I haven't bothered to track down the answer and have no desire to do so now. If you are going to fish the Utah side only but camp in Wyoming, then I would strongly suggest you call the WY G & F folks and ask them.

Default Much Thanks

Mike,
    My understanding was that Utah changed to 6 but Wyoming didn't. See page 3 of the Utah reg book.
    Thank You!

Default Sorry for posting to an old post

Quote Originally Posted by sawhorseray View Post
    By the time we get all the stamps and licenses it's about $250 for just Wyoming, I don't much want to do double that. I've been to FG the last three years and now am starting to think maybe someplace new this year. We'll fish kokes in April at Whiskytown in NorCal, and in May at O'Dell in Oregon, so there should be plenty of fodder for the canner. When I didn't know better I brought the gear and canned inside my camper, then found that was a no-no. Last year we were giving limits of kokes away to folks in tents, the Wyoming F&G boys were dying to give me a ticket for something, checked the inside of my camper out twice in five days. I guess there'd always be camping at Lucerne and fishing out of there, learn a new spot. Of course at Buckboard I know right where to go and what to use, limit out fairly fast just about every time. I hear there's some good koke fishing Idaho, tho there's no place equal to Flaming Gorge. Decisions decisions. RAY
    I realize that this is a response to a old post. I don't keep track of this forum until summer before my annual trip to FG. Ray, I hope you can clarify on you're statement about Wyoming F&G searching your camper twice in 5 days. Were you searched at the campsite you were in? Were you camping at Buckboard NFS campground or the Marina campground? When were you camping there? Were you searched by the launch? The reason I ask is that I camp at NFS Buckboard campground and have for about 4 years always in July and August. I have never seen Wyoming F&G in the Bay or near the campground and never seen them by the launch. I've only seen them before Anvil Draw and just before you get to the Buckboard launch on weekends. Pat

I don't usually post much here, but I was just looking to see what the fishing was doing at the Gorge, as I have two weeks off. I know I won't be disappointing some by saying that for the price of a license and such low limits, I cant justify spending the money in Utah or Wyoming to fish the Gorge. $60 to fill the boat, $80 to fill the truck one way, $ camping, $ food, $ extra gear, $ Stamps for the boat. So my understanding is JUST $250 for the licenses, not to include my daughter. Blue mesa is a 1 hr. drive ill just stay home. I drive to the Colombia river every year and catch 2 steelhead a day out of my boat and spend less than that. Then drive to the beach and go crabbing and catch a Coho or two, on days the ocean is flat, on the same license. That being said the people that will be missing out are the local vendors in the area that sell gas, gear, and groceries. Sorry Vernal I wont be dropping any cash this year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12