Thread: What's everyone using for mono?

Default What's everyone using for mono?

I'm curious what others are using for monofilament these days as I consider respooling for the season. I've tried a lot of different monos over the year. I like Suffix for casting, but have spooled trolling gear with Trilene XL or XT for the past couple of years. How about you guys?

P-Line. 12 lb moss green
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by MackayGuy View Post
    I'm curious what others are using for monofilament these days as I consider respooling for the season. I've tried a lot of different monos over the year. I like Suffix for casting, but have spooled trolling gear with Trilene XL or XT for the past couple of years. How about you guys?

I've been using this stuff for 2 seasons now, has worked well for me:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Quote Originally Posted by kok-head View Post
    I've been using this stuff for 2 seasons now, has worked well for me:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
    Derek.....I went to the link you posted and that line starts at 15#. Seems a little heavy? Is it a self fulfilling prophecy or is there some advantage you find running that heavy a line? I know you catch a lot of fish.....maybe this is one of those secret things? (you knew I'd throw that in there )

Another vote for Trilene XL. I use the 8lb test.

Quote Originally Posted by MackayGuy View Post
    Derek.....I went to the link you posted and that line starts at 15#. Seems a little heavy? Is it a self fulfilling prophecy or is there some advantage you find running that heavy a line? I know you catch a lot of fish.....maybe this is one of those secret things? (you knew I'd throw that in there )
    Secret until now, went with this line in 15# test for a few reasons:

Same diam as trilene XL in 12#
    Lightest # test I could get in the bulk spool
    Wanted heavier line so I didn't need to re-spool as often
    I use the same reels to fish for other species and wanted double duty line
    As far as decent mono goes this was the best priced line I could find in a hi-vis color
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

for my 2 cents. I tried the Trilene, P-Line, Maxima, and a few others. I got tired of the line twist in every one of the lines.
    I switched over to 10# braid with Maxima 5 foot leader. No more twist, don't have to replace or respool every few months.
    With that being said, I also built some 7 foot extra Ultra Light rods to make up for not having any stretch in the line.
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

DRM I have to say just the opposite I really keep it very simple. I use maxima 10# ultra grn or P line I have no issues for Kokanee trout,Walleye. I use open face reels. I do have and been changing over to custom made fly rods 5 weights.for DR use and most people thinks its old school but I run snubbers also. I don't change a think if its not broke. These Kokanee rods I use for Shad catching hundreds (not the 5 weights).Just about everything else is braided. I'm extremely happy with my line choice just my 2 cents.

The Trilene shows up under black light so I stopped using it. Now I use braided line with a mono leader on a JJ Kokanee rod (very soft tip rod). I like the high vis lines. This is handy running 4 rods and lines out the back of the boat. Easy to keep track of where everything is.
    ALL FISH PICTURED IN POSTS ARE LARGER THAN THEY APPEAR

I'm a 10# Power Pro guy myself. Great kokanee rods are a must with P Line fluorocarbon leader and no snubbers.

I use 8# Maxima Chameleon. It has excellent abrasion resistance. It also absorbs rather than reflecting light below the surface.
    I use small bait casting reels and this line spools nicely.

For Kok's, I just use the inexpensive Walmart braid. like 8 or 10 bucks for a spool of 10# braid. No need to spend the big bucks for kokanee, least not on braided line. IMO
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

I am a huge maxima fan boy. 8# ultra green on all my koke rods. 15# maxima fluorocarbon for all my leaders. The stretch of a lighter mono combined with ultralight rods completely negates the need for snubbers. I wouldn't even consider using a braid. Turnoffs for me include the lack of stretch, having to buy all new braid compatible DR clips, and contrast in the water. I just find it much easier (and cheaper) to use mono. I've never had a problem with line twist and the like. For posters that have had a problem with line twist, are you using high quality ball bearing swivels? Also, one may have to consider the dodger/lure combo with speed. Is your offering turning over and rotating, or is it swaying and thumping? Just my two cents.

I've switched over to 15lb p-line braid most or all the way down to the dodger, then I go to 4-10 lb fluoro or ultragreen for the leader, depending on the situation. The idea being I don't like to lose dodgers. I like to be able to snap off a cheap tube fly or cha-cha if necessary in a structure snag. This also gives really great sensitivity. If I need to add a little stretch I can always splice in a shock gum section or a couple yards of 10lb mono before the dodger.
    Last edited by mistercooper; 03-05-2015 at 08:35 PM.

--As the name implies of course I use Platypus line. Can be bought on line from Australia... Expensive but thin and world class. Several of their lines are IGFA rated. I use them all. Lyman lures used to carry super100 on line and reccomend it for use with their plugs. With exchange rate on Canadian dollar the lymans would be a steal. I'm not sure if they still have any line.
    --Mainly super 100 and low stretch for long line trolling. I use the 12 or 15 lb super 100 given the small diameter size can get lots of line on my reels.
    --I also like and use Techtan.. from DAM again small diameter and very consistant break strength.
    --That is not to say that I don't have an old Peetz reel that is spooled with old reliable ultra green for salmon fishing.

--I use the thin line brands to allow for lots of line with the highest # test... as most large lakes I fish there is the chance for big rainbows on same lures and depth. I don't think it is really needed but it doesn't feel like overkill when you hook into a rainbow so I can live without fear of losing not just the fish but the gear. Although I don't fish for line class IGFA records nice to know there is a chance if I do.. that the line will qualify.
    Last edited by platypus; 04-04-2015 at 03:15 PM.

I have been using Yozui hybrid 10# as it measures well on my Convector 15 line counters. I like that it is low, but some stretch. That really makes a difference when you have 200' out long lining or planer boards as my poles are multipurpose. Line is also very durable and UV resistant.