Thread: Fontenelle 2023

Default Fontenelle 2023

I posted this over at myfishfinder.com and I know there is some overlap between the sites, but thought i'd try here too..

Anybody catch or hear of anybody catching any Kokanee? We've now been 4 times and caught plenty of trout which is fun enough, but we've been trying for kokanee the whole time. Have fished from 5'-50' with all different colors. We haven't fished all over the lake yet, mostly more southern, but in areas we've consistently caught them the last few years. Nobody we've talked to at the launch had caught any and Saturday we talked to but the boat inspector and the warden and they haven't heard of anybody catching any..

Default Similar experience

We fished it about 1.5 weeks ago for part of a day. Including us only 3 boats out. Talked to one group that had fished for 3 days and got 1 kokanee. Water was very muddy. Was out for ca. 3 hrs and did not get a bite. Packed up and went home. Launched near the dam since the north ramp was not available due to low water. In a few weeks hopefully the water will clear and the fishing will improve.

Thanks for your report.

Just thought I would provide an update that the lake is still rising and muddy water. Inflow is still over 7000cfs and outflow is now up to 6500cfs and the lake is approaching full pool. North ramp is usable at this point and there were a number of boats out yesterday that had launched at the north ramp. No word on fishing report I just drove by and thought some of you would like to know that info.
    2016 Lund 1775 Crossover XS aka the "Play N Hooky"

Default Thanks

Thanks for the update Wyo307. Good to know. May try it again next week on a sweep through Wyoming.
    Regards,
    Duckharvestor

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo307 View Post
    Just thought I would provide an update that the lake is still rising and muddy water. Inflow is still over 7000cfs and outflow is now up to 6500cfs and the lake is approaching full pool. North ramp is usable at this point and there were a number of boats out yesterday that had launched at the north ramp. No word on fishing report I just drove by and thought some of you would like to know that info.
    Thanks, Ryan, for the update. I'm in recovery from an accident that left me with a broken rib. I'm hoping to salvage some of my summer fishing with Fontenelle on my list the update. I'm hoping to feel better in a couple of weeks.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Thanks for the updates. It'll probably end up being the first weekend of July before we can get back out there, hopefully we can make 2-3 days work.

Roger hope you heal up quickly!

I may hit it this weekend just to see but will likely hit New Fork instead and give it one more week. The rivers are starting to stabilize now so clarity should start to improve this week. Flows are still running at 7500 cfs inflow and 6500 outflow. It has been raining every day which doesn't help the situation at all.

Good luck everyone!

Ryan, I'm doing better now. Pain has subsided mostly with exception getting into a certain position. I'm ready to get back out but will wait to hear from you about the Font conditions.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Good to hear Roger.

I fished New fork Friday and Saturday but it was slow. Fish were scattered on the surface because the water temperature was still 46-49. Managed a few but overall pretty tough.

Looks like the water is starting to come down in the rivers although still high so hopefully I will be out on Fontenelle this weekend or on the 4th.

Fishing is picking up but so is the pressure. Lots of boats out on the weekends, likely due to the slower fishing in the northern part of the gorge this year. Blue Green Algae starting to show up as well so if you are planning on keeping fish out of this lake I'd suggest hitting it sooner than later as they will start to have a slight muddy taste later in the season. Tight lines!

Default A bit of a slog

Fished it last Fri/Sat. Friday morning was decent, caught 8-10 in the morning. Saturday morning was poor, only got 2-3 in the boat. Both afternoons the wind came up blew us off. Best fishing was at 5-6' on green.