Thread: Recommended Trolling Flap for Merc 40 outboard

Default Recommended Trolling Flap for Merc 40 outboard

I see several different models of trolling flaps for outboards. I used one on my old glass IO boat and it seemed to work ok until I forgot to take it up and managed to bend it. Anyone have suggestions on one for my new fishing boat?

The only brand I have used was a Happy Troller brand. It worked really good. If I remember right you will need to get the right size for your motor.

If you have an electronic motor I would use that if you can.

While the boat does have an electric motor in the bow, the fish finder is in the middle and the downriggers towards the back. Is there a reasonably price remote steerable electric motor?

I have a Minn-Kota with I-pilot and love it. I can set a course and speed which is handy when fighting a fish by myself. The remote allows me to make adjustments from anywhere in the boat. I think it can be retrofitted to some older models. That might be your most cost-effective solution if you want to use the trolling motor. I would check with your dealer. Good luck whatever you do.

Is that a 12volt system?

Mine is 12 volt since it is only a 16 foot boat, but it should work with 24 or 36 volt systems. If your boat already has a foot pedal, the hand held controller would talk to the trolling motor head and make adjustments without wires. A Minn-Kota dealer should be able to help you determine if you can retrofit it, or you could contact them directly.
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/learn...motors/i-pilot

My boat is even smaller being a 14.5’ boat. It also has a 12v minkota but I am not seeing any retrofits for existing trolling outfits. I will contact the closest minkota dealer to see what is available. Thanks