Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	10244

This was Blue Mesa last Monday, April 17

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8CB0A4F-52C0-42D6-BF78-BF63E6FB512F.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	10245

And this was a few hours ago on April 23.

And while the ramp is clear the marina will need more time.

Name:	9AEDCE2B-BFA8-4CB3-A1CE-3109C381F705.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	10246

Lots of shore fishermen and women out. There is some open water at Old Stevens, where the river now enters the lake. We had a big winter, with lots of snow water, so the lake is expected to reach 70% of full pool. In the past two weeks the lake is up 6 ft.

The hatchery has done its part with stocking and Mother Nature has come through, so the big concerns are gill lice and Mac predation. We fished once last year without a bite but maybe this year will be better with more water. I’ll let you know what we learn from fishing and talking to friends. For now we have our eyes on Lake Powell, with highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 50s. Hoping we all fish until we are exhausted and then do it again the next day. Oh, and let’s catch some fish too. Kokanee64

Default Thanks for the update Kokanee64

Appreciate the update! Checked the BM marina update and it said Elk Creek marina is opening May 29th and Lake Fork is opening May 15th. I presume this means the ramps are closed until then?? I do not see an update for the ramp and boat inspection start dates or is your understanding the dates I just noted previously? The Curecanti recreation area website does not appear to have the opening dates so i do not know what to believe. Regards, Gary

Two photos from Friday, April 28. Seems rare to have ice on Blue Mesa the first of May. Way back when, we used to catch salmon by May 7. Western University's graduation typically falls around Mary 7, so fishing began as soon as the students and their families left town.

Name:	IMG_2450.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	10249 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2452.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	10250

The canyon between the Iola and Cebolla basins, where the Elk Creek marina sits, can be the last to go. We are experiencing the strong afternoon winds common to Gunnison in the spring. I don't know if the marina will open this summer but with higher water levels planned, I'd think both marinas will open. A few days should see the ice out, the courtesy dock at Elk Creek over wintered, and the aquatic inspection station at Elk Creek will be ready and is the most professional I've dealt with, so ice out can mean lets go fishing.

If you are driving in from Montrose, be sure to check for Little Blue construction closures. In recent weeks delays are adding 15 - 30 minutes to the trip but the road has been open at night. Have heard that night closures will go back into effect soon. Also, expect wildlife (sheep, goats and deer) along the south shore of the middle basin, above the iron works.

We still haven't fished BM this season and probably won't, but my friends report incredible lake trout fishing, decent fishing for browns and an on-going, nothing going on season for Kokanee.

Default Elk Creek Ramp & Marina Open

The Elk Creek boat ramp opened last Friday and the marina store last Tuesday. The ramps and inspection stations are open 5:30 to 9:00 every day. In addition to the Elk Creek ramp and the Lake Fork ramp, which has been open for several weeks, the Iola ramp is also open. The lake is at 7491 ft and is rising at well over a foot per day, 28 ft below full pool. The Gunnison River has been huge for some time and will likely hit its peak in a week or so. Iola extends a mile east of the Lake City Bridge and Mac Island, the sometimes island - sometimes peninsula out from the Sapinaro Store, is underwater and best avoided. Lots of logs and limbs afloat, especially in Iola. Water managers talk as if 90% of full pool is their target. I think if the lake gets over 95% full there are problems on the shore line, so 90% will look pretty close to full. Thankful for the bounties of nature at BM and throughout the west.

The Little Blue construction site on US HW 50 between Montrose and Gunnison is in full swing, with 4 night per week closures from 7:30 pm and 6:30 am. Weekends have been open. Weekday waits have gotten longer - bring a book. The alternative route is worse than waiting unless you have arranged to have the road closed and are driving a Porsche.

Safe travels and good fishing this summer. Kokanee64