Thread: Best Fishfinder?

Default Best Fishfinder?

Which fishfinder will work best on my 1450 Crestliner boat, of course for hunting for Kokanee?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybersnow View Post
    Which fishfinder will work best on my 1450 Crestliner boat, of course for hunting for Kokanee?
    Is there a place to go compare Garmin, bottom line, and Lowrance? Budget limit is $1,000.

Default boat sonar's - where to go

For the last few years I've been using Sportsman's Guide (sportsmansguide.com). They have a great selection and their prices are very competitive - they also do reviews. For a small fee (don't remember how much - but it's not much) you can become a member and get further discounts, well worth the few extra bucks, plus you get notified of specials.) and NO, I don't get paid by sportsmansguide.
    I'm an aquatic biologist and specialized in research. I've used a lot of different equipment ranging from bargain stuff to top of the line VERY expensive electronics that were paid for by somebody else. I've spent months at a time in very harsh and remote portions of Alaska and throughout the Pacific Northwest - where I had to rely on the equipment I had because I had no way to get new stuff.
    My advice is to look for something good quality (the best quality you can afford - you don't have to spend thousands) Keep IT PRETTY BASIC. You don't need every electronic gizzmo that is offered on these devices. They can be complicated to use and frustrating. Start with a really good brand name, look for one in your price range, and don't get too hung up on "oh this one has this and this and this and this..." You need something that is easy to use - shows depth, shows bottom structure & contours with maybe the ability to identify hardness of the substrate on the bottom. You also will NEED to identify suspended fish with enough accuracy to sort out fish from floating aquatic vegetation. Oh yeah, water temp is essential.
    That's really it! To be honest, these things only last for a few years so don't stretch your budget on your first one. Get good quality, with a few features. Then, in a year or three you'll know what features you like and which ones you'd like to have - so you can make an informed choice when you upgrade. Trust me, some of these things are so complicated and offer sooooo many features that sometimes I can't make them just show me the basics.
    If you have any further questions, feel free to write me here. I have decades of experience and have published in dozens of magazines. With electronics, if your not a pro, keep it simple - you'll spend more time smiling and fishing and less time swearing at a piece of equipment that's trying to do everything but what you want it to do.
    Cheers!
    chance

Default Good Advice

Chance, good advice. I would add that once you have experience with a particular brand, it is easier to work with that brand. Each company has a different way of laying out the menus and uses different commands. I get frustrated when I try to make adjustments on my buddy's unit, since he has a different brand. I know how to change things on my unit, but it takes me three times as long to make adjustments on his unit.

Default reply to good advice

Yep - you're right on about the different manufacturers. It's kind of a tough deal - if you want a fish finder with the latest technology, which to me means resolution and GPS they can be so complicated to run it drives me crazy! I'm guessing that tournament level bass fishermen want every kind of technology there is - kinda like a teenager with a phone or computer. But for me, I fish to have fun and relax, not spend hours screwing with my fish finder trying to squeeze every feature out of it. In my work I have been around all kinds of electronics and have always wondered why they don't make models that you can load with different packages. I bought a new top of the line Hummingbird last fall and I kind of regret it. It has great resolution but there are so many screens and fields - it can be a real pain in the ass to find the screens I want... I guess I'm just an old country boy that never got hooked on all the techno stuff.
    LOOKING FOR ADVICE: I'm looking to add a remote steering outfit for my trolling motor. Does anybody have experience or advice regarding these? I have a 20' Duckworth that I bought new over 20 years ago. It's set up with a 150 Yamaha V-max with a prop and a 9.9 yamaha 4-stroke trolling motor. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by chance View Post
    Yep - you're right on about the different manufacturers. It's kind of a tough deal - if you want a fish finder with the latest technology, which to me means resolution and GPS they can be so complicated to run it drives me crazy! I'm guessing that tournament level bass fishermen want every kind of technology there is - kinda like a teenager with a phone or computer. But for me, I fish to have fun and relax, not spend hours screwing with my fish finder trying to squeeze every feature out of it. In my work I have been around all kinds of electronics and have always wondered why they don't make models that you can load with different packages. I bought a new top of the line Hummingbird last fall and I kind of regret it. It has great resolution but there are so many screens and fields - it can be a real pain in the ass to find the screens I want... I guess I'm just an old country boy that never got hooked on all the techno stuff.
    LOOKING FOR ADVICE: I'm looking to add a remote steering outfit for my trolling motor. Does anybody have experience or advice regarding these? I have a 20' Duckworth that I bought new over 20 years ago. It's set up with a 150 Yamaha V-max with a prop and a 9.9 yamaha 4-stroke trolling motor. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    The only unit I can comment on is the Python/ Tailfin setup, I bought one years ago and went through a lot of hassles with it, never could get it running right, service was responsive to my issues, they replaced power unit twice, motor once, remote unit once, and it still only worked intermittently. Service rep. insisted that it was my battery, battery was 5 years old but still held a charge. I was dubious but I bought a new one on his say so but that changed nothing. I didn't mind too much the expense of a new battery as it was 5 years old but there wasn't any point in continuing screwing with the system, I was well out of warranty after 3 years of screwing with it, just went back to connecting rod to main. I may try hard wiring just the motor with switches at helm and stern. The I-troll system for helm throttle control for kicker motor that it was paired with ( different company) has been great though. I'd love to find a reliable steering system system I could control from either front of boat or rear. If you find a good one post about it. Bob R