Thread: Setting up new boat for kokanee?

Default Setting up new boat for kokanee?

Just purchased a Crestliner 14.5 side console fishing boat. Have downriggers and mounts from old boat. The boat has a 40hp Merc 4stroke. I am wondering if I should buy a trolling plate for the motor or bite the bullet and buy a bow mounted trolling motor. If a trolling motor, which one?

Congrats on the new boat. I have a friend who has a sixteen foot boat with a 50 hp and uses the troll plate exclusively. If money is a little tight, I would buy the plate now, and in a year or two pick up a bow mounted electric motor. Trolling for kokes is often done at very slow speeds, and the main motor and plate combo might not troll slow enough for trolling with the wind or on windless days.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 02-27-2022 at 12:25 AM.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default What is on the boat.

I got a killer deal from the Crestliner Dealer in Cascade and purchased his 2021 rental boat. I saw the boat, but when I picked it up it was raining like crazy. Ir had a full travel cover and it went into the barn for the winter. I see that it has a 55lb front trolling motor. I am not sure about what that means given the afternoon winds up around McCall ID, so I will go ahead and buy a trolling plate for a 40hp Merc 4 stroke. Know any good sources. It has a cheap hummingbird fish finder, so that is next on my list. Also need to decide where to mount the downriggers. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a nice ride. I would use the bow mount and see how it works before changing it out. I would think a good set of batteries should last all day.

I would get in the boat and find the place to mount the down riggers that is ease to access. Some people think they need to be as close to the back as they can get them and then fight trying to use them. Mine are about 5 foot from the back in the most open part of the boat. The only thing I don't like is I have to take them off when I am around the dock so I can get in and out of the boat.

If the winds kick up so much that a 55 lb trolling motor won't move the boat fast enough, then you probably will need the 40 hp without a plate. I agree with the above suggestion of finding a place where you have good access to the downriggers. Finding a place with a solid base to anchor them and still get good access can often be a problem. Mine are about three feet from the stern.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

At the stern of the boat is a casting platform and rectangular boxes, (flotation?). I am thinking about putting the downriggers there. I have 2 cannon manual downrigger with swivel bases off my pontoon boat. I need to raise them up about 6 inches so I am going to use the cannon slide base and raised platform. Can I just screw them to the wood top or should I take the top off and bolt them in place? I thought I would mount them at the most forward spot on the boxes and swing them forward at the dock allowing me to get in and out.

Even if there is a pretty thick piece of plywood underneath, I would be concerned about mounting the downriggers with just screws. If you use a 10 pound ball, and extend the boom even a little, that is a lot of force when you get to the desired depth. If you cannot mount a backer plate underneath, I would look at some kind of expansion bolts to provide more resistance to pulling straight out. It is good that you are thinking before you start drilling. I made the mistake others mentioned and mounted my first downrigger too far aft. I still regret it. It is a solid mount, but a pain to use. Good luck.

Do you have any pics of your boat? This will aid in selecting a good place for your DR's.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08E7A950-5F50-4F78-AE7E-C4B4153BCE0B.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	10172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D2A9F60-94CC-49E0-8D12-3E49AB9A769B.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	10173
    Not quite sure how to insert a picture.

I think I want to mount the downriggers on the forward edge of the flotation chambers (boat is a Crestliner 1450 Discovery Side Console). In addition to expansion bolts or a metal plate, do I need to add some kind of angle support around the edges?

Pictures show a tiller configuration but the stern of the boat is the same.

Also the boat cam with a hummingbird helix 5, should I change that?
    Last edited by Cybersnow; 03-01-2022 at 11:34 AM.

I would make sure they are mounted as solid as you can get them. I have put angle iron behind mine. As for the Helix they are a good unit.

I will be mounting some kind of elevated (4 or 6”) platform to clear the side of the boat. Cannon makes a rail that is fastened to wood with 4 wood screws but I am not sure that is adequate. I am not sure how strong that platform is. I sent an email to the manufacturer but no reply yet.

I would use bolts with some kind of backing plate. It's only a matter of time before you hang a ball on the bottom.

I was planning on using the cannon raised platform and adjustable base but the base requires screws as the holes are counter sunk. I think I need to find a better solution. Is there a raised platform made for cannon downriggers that is bolted in?

I was able to find some taper headed bolts that fit in to the counter sink on mine, If I remember right mine took a 1/4 bolts?

I would try to use stainless steel bolts with nylock nuts.

I sent a request to Crestliner asking them how to best mount the downriggers and received a call from a company rep who basically told me not to use the Crestliner mount as the walls of the 1450 boat are too thin. Other than that, got zero help other than contact the dealer, who is closed until May. Since I need a a pedistal, has anyone used the the Cannon one? If so, did you bolt it directly or did you use the runner thing that they sell also to mount the pedistal in?