I just got back from 3 days at the Gorge. The target fish was kokanee. Two of us started Tuesday at Buckboard with arrival about 9 AM. We fished until about 1:30 PM when the wind forced a halt. Our total for our 4.5-hour effort was 1 kokanee and 1 cutthroat in the box.

On Wednesday morning, we were on the water and lines down at 6 AM. Again, we fished until 1 PM. Our take was 1 kokanee, 1 cutthroat, & 1 rainbow in the box.

Nobody we talked to on the lake or at the cleaning station did much better. 1 to 4 fish per boat was the norm.

On Thursday morning we went to the Sheep Creek area. Dropped our lines at 6:30 AM and had 3 kokanee in the box in 5 minutes. It slowed way down on kokanee after that first flurry, but the planter rainbows kept us busy all morning. We also put a laker pup in the box. We quit at Noon with 7 kokanee in the box with all of them between 1 and 1.5 pounds. We C&R’d a couple dozen of 7-8” bows and one 14” cutthroat. We also released 2 or 3 kokanee in the 6-7” range.

Reports from any area on the Wyoming side are about the same all the way from Anvil to Buckboard. We even heard a report that one of the guides offered his clients, who specifically wanted to fish the Buckboard area, a refund because he couldn’t guarantee them a successful outcome in that area.

If you’re looking for a full limit of 3# plus kokanee, I’m afraid you are going to be disappointed. If size isn’t a priority and a limit of good eating size salmon is a winner, then you might do okay on the Utah side in the Sheep Creek/Hideout area.

If you haven’t been to the Gorge yet this year, let me warn you that the number of boats you will encounter if you go is going to be 2 or 3 times more than you have seen in past years. The fishing pressure has been HUGE this year and is probably part of the reason for the lower success rate this year.

Good luck if you go; you’re going to need a bunch of it.