Thread: releasing koke at the gorge

Default releasing koke at the gorge

While there is some debate (including here) on returning kokes, not sure a damaged fish such as at 10:05 if the video should ever be put back. Man, it's not like it was a shaker that might take up space in your limit.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=343231053310984

There really isn’t a correct answer to your question. Good arguments can be made for either side. I don’t believe any laws were violated in releasing that fish. But I’m not a Conservation Officer (CO) and a CO may see it differently. The mortality rate of released kokanee is one of the highest. About 1 in 3 will die on average. I would have kept that fish but do not judge him for not doing so. The folks that REALLY tick me off are the ones that BRAG about having 30, 40, 50 caught & released kokanee in a single day. They are total morons IMHO.
    Last edited by dubob; 07-18-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

I'm not here to argue or judge releasing kokes, but I hope we can all agree that putting up a video of releasing clearly harmed fish is poor judgement. Just ammunition for the Oregon proposition currently being developed.............

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    I'm not here to argue or judge releasing kokes, but I hope we can all agree that putting up a video of releasing clearly harmed fish is poor judgement.
    Okay, I agree - now what?

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Just for us all to keep in mind not to take what we enjoy in regards to hunting and fishing for granted, and that we are in the public eye.

A similar proposition to that currently seeking petition in Oregon was mounted in Colorado a few years ago, but a judge stopped that one on the grounds that it was too far reaching such that voters could not be reasonably expected to understand all the consequences. This is another day, and who knows....... no hunting, fishing, or animal agriculture in Oregon.....then where next?