Thread: corn at the gorge

Default corn at the gorge

Just a query whether the change in Utah regs a couple years ago to allow corn for fishing has impacted how you fish the Gorge?

My very limited experience has been that maggots or corn work about equaly well. The biggest advantage to corn is it costs less than Berkley maggots. My buddy who fishes the Gorge every week May thru Sep has switched to corn exclusively. I use Berkley maggots and we both catch limits along with bonus trout and laker pups. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

I can agree with Bob with the expense if your using plain corn. However there is a cost of adding scents to corn experimenting around with different flavors to attract kokanee can be interesting on what they hit on. I have somewhat of an investment in different flavor scents from different manufacturers. Some mixtures don't last long molding in the container while keeping refrigerated. The oil scents seem to last longer than the gel type after fishing use. It goes back on ice at the end of the fishing day and in my case I transfer it to the frig when I get home. Occasionally I'll inspect it and give it a good stir. I'm convinced corn does work as well as the maggots.
    Last edited by Bduck; 07-03-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Default No scents in the corn

We don't scent the bait Roger. We find it as effective by scenting the lure the bait goes on or scenting the dodger. We use the corn just as it comes out of the can. Same with the Berkley maggots (which already come scented). Gels tend to last longer with this method. Also, I only use a couple of scents and they stay on the boat and get discarded at the end of the season. Since I can't smell anything anyway, I don't know if they use their potency or not by not being refrigerated. Couldn't hurt.

Descriptions of Mile's & Pro-Cure indicate that they contain preservatives and don't really need to be kept refrigerated. The labels don't mention it either. But if it works for you, then we're both happy. I do try to keep it out of direct sunlight as much as possible.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Default Pautzke Fire Corn

Thought I might give the Pautzke Fire Corn in pink a try when we are at the Gorge later this month. Just an alternative to our usual pink gulp maggot. It kind of sounds like 6 of one or half dozen of the other

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Thought I might give the Pautzke Fire Corn in pink a try when we are at the Gorge later this month. Just an alternative to our usual pink gulp maggot. It kind of sounds like 6 of one or half dozen of the other
    Yep - pretty much 6s.

Quote Originally Posted by smokepoles View Post
    Hey Chuck, these are all good suggestions worth the try. I remember as a kid in the early 60's fishing the shores of some Calif mountain lakes using plain corn and catching trout. It didn't take long to find out then it was not an approved bait to use.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Yes, indeed we'll give it go, Roger. I am eagerly anticipating as we did not make it to the Gorge last year owing to the COVID situation. We'll be camping and fishing from Lucerne 7/26-30. Hope to see some of the group camping and on the water. Boat is a Bayliner Discovery, call name 5 O'clock Somewhere.

Until then, wife and I are heading to Yellowstone tomorrow with hopes of beating some of the heat. It is down right rediculous for Cache Valley.

Tight lines.

I think the fire corn is a great choice, I get a can of shoe peg corn, drain it and split it up in zip lock bags and freeze it. The night before I go fishing I will get out a few bags of corn and apply deterrent scents in each bag and hope one works. I also pack some gel scents that I can put on the Dodger.

Quote Originally Posted by nofish View Post
    I think the fire corn is a great choice, I get a can of shoe peg corn, drain it and split it up in zip lock bags and freeze it. The night before I go fishing I will get out a few bags of corn and apply deterrent scents in each bag and hope one works. I also pack some gel scents that I can put on the Dodger.
    Hi Aaron, the gel scents are great for applying straight to either the dodger or the lure itself. But admittingly I've got the hook into me shopping with a few of the products. Maybe the attractant's work better on the fishermen than the fish.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel