Thread: Strawberry 5-06-2021

Default Strawberry 5-06-2021

Reports were ice off at Soldier Creek and kokanee being caught by boaters. One later report came as ice off on main body. I headed to Soldier with a good friend dragging the boat. As we passed by main body we could see ice off with only 1 boat heading out. Got on the water about 7:30 and started finding kokes. We left about noon with the catch of 2 kokes each. Other catches included a small bow, a brown, a cutt, and lost 3 kokes on headshakes. Its fish on at the Berry.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    Reports were ice off at Soldier Creek and kokanee being caught by boaters. One later report came as ice off on main body. I headed to Soldier with a good friend dragging the boat. As we passed by main body we could see ice off with only 1 boat heading out. Got on the water about 7:30 and started finding kokes. We left about noon with the catch of 2 kokes each. Other catches included a small bow, a brown, a cutt, and lost 3 kokes on headshakes. Its fish on at the Berry.
    Nice! Good start to the season!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Sounds like things are starting to happen at Strawberry. I sure like that place.

I was having troubles keeping fish hooked up on my last trip to the Gorge. I hope it doesn't become a habit.

Did you guys see many people chasing the kokes?

Aaron, up to that day 5-06 folks were getting on the water at Soldier Creek. From what I saw most of the boaters were chasing kokes. Now that the main body is open there will a bigger population inhabiting the lake.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I hope the other three lakes they put kokes in do well and lower the fishing pressure on Strawberry, Jordanell and the Gorge. I think all three got hit extremely hard last year.

I think folks are going to get out again after last year. With the price of fuel skyrocketing could be the only deterrence. Home project costs are tying hands now.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

I have not yet retired so 90% of my trips are on the weekend and last year was unreal with the amount people that were on the Gorge. Week days were like weekends and weekends were jammed with people.

I hope that DWR is able to keep up with the demand that is being put on the big three koke reservoirs.

I can't wait to see what the future of koke fishing will be.