Thread: Where do I find the Kokanee/fish?

Unhappy Where do I find the Kokanee/fish?

My wife and I went out at Buckboard, today. We’re getting used to the new boat—our second outing on this brand new pontoon boat. I searched for fish on my fish finder at numerous spots north of buckboard and marked very few fish all day. Lots of boats on the water, though. Where should I look for them? Are there certain areas or types of spots that I should be concentrating on? I know the gorge is full of fish. I just haven’t figured out how to locate them, yet.

We found them by anvil at around 50 deep. They were hanging on structure.
    Last edited by nofish; 04-19-2021 at 10:25 AM.

lots of time during early spring the kokes are up shallow like 15 or less and your sonar will not mark them.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus60 View Post
    lots of time during early spring the kokes are up shallow like 15 or less and your sonar will not mark them.
    ================================================== ============================

my live scope will show fish in the top 25 feet when I was there I saw very fue on top most were like Aaron said down 50 feet. now at Jordanelle they are all on top. and I can see them.

Default Still no fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Higby6574 View Post
    My wife and I went out at Buckboard, today. We’re getting used to the new boat—our second outing on this brand new pontoon boat. I searched for fish on my fish finder at numerous spots north of buckboard and marked very few fish all day. Lots of boats on the water, though. Where should I look for them? Are there certain areas or types of spots that I should be concentrating on? I know the gorge is full of fish. I just haven’t figured out how to locate them, yet.
    Went to Anvil Draw, today. Only marked a couple fish all afternoon. Can’t find them.

I haven't been up in two weeks so I am going off old info but I was finding them schooled up tight hanging on structure. The average depth was around 45 ft . I keep thinking they were laker pups but we ketp pulling up kokes.

I also had a talk with the Utah biologist and he said he is seeing the same kind of thing on the southern end of the lake.
    Last edited by nofish; 05-09-2021 at 10:37 PM.

Default Slow at the gorge. Good at Fontenelle.

Fished the gorge on Sat. 5/15 and Sunday. Launched at Lucerne Valley. Headed south toward Sheep Crk where we had caught Kokes last Sept. Only marked one small school and hooked zero. Trolled for a while at Linwood bay for lakers and caught a 5 lb. 25" baby. Sunday headed north from Lucerne and fished two areas where we had success last year. First was zero fish marked and caught, while the 2nd marked a few schools but no takers. BTW, there was a fishing derby going on so it was fairly crowded for this early in the season. Fished Fontenelle for a few hours on Monday. Landed 8 kokes and one rainbow. Kokes were between 18.5" and 16". That was fun. Used downriggers at 10 - 25' deep. Launched at the dam since we were told the north ramp near the campground was a mud flat. Caught the kokes mostly on hoochies (yellow with orange/pink hooks and accents). Also caught two on a long line, diving Rapala rainbow trout about 2.5" long! Go figure! Talked to a guy and his wife at the ramp and they caught limits of 6 each. They were using needlefish lures in pink about 3" long. He had been fishing the place for 22 years.

Default Coming Soon!

I'll be headed to the Sheep Creek/Kingfisher Island area for Memorial Day weekend. Sounds like it's been pretty slow this year. Any other reports from that area? Thanks, and I'll post a post-trip report.

Pete

I'm heading to the Gorge hoping soon but Fontenelle has been on the list for June. I fished the Font for the first time a year ago.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Good luck. Let us know how you do. Fontenelle is on my list of places to try.

Default Late Memorial weekend report

Sorry for the late report... We fished 2 boats, 5 people through the weekend. Fishing was slow, but not unproductive. All the kokes we caught were 42 feet or less, with most coming around 25-30 feet. No particular color/dodger/combination worked any better than anything else. We pretty much threw the tackle box at 'em. Slow speeds did seem to help. We tried to catch a few pups and my buddy's boat only caught a couple; none for me. We jigged for burbot at night and were skunked one night and the other boat caught one and a big laker the second night. Great time camping! We spent Saturday afternoon playing cards in the tent while it rained. All fun and looking forward to the next trip.

Sounds as if you guys had a nice trip. good deal.