Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Get a map of the reservoir that the Corp puts out. They have all of the dispersed campsites listed on the map. Of course for a campsite with amenities you'll have to go to either Dent Acres or Freeman Creek. Like others have said the reservoir is down, so you'll have to hike through some sand/mud from the water to either camp or hunt up from the boat.
    While not extremely popular, turkey hunting from a boat is a fairly common technique people do the first 2 weekends of the season. And of course hunters gravitate to the more milder terrain. That being said roosting a tom from a boat before dark with a boat can allow you to cover lots of ground. Don't overlook fishing in the morning along the shoreline until you hear one, and then changing pursuits.
    If you can go during the weekdays you'll have a lot of ground to yourself. I'm not giving away any secrets here, so try Canyon creek, Freeman Creek, and Elk creek for both fish and fowl.

Default Update

Launched at 6:00 fished canyon Creek until 2:00 landed 57. Lots of short strikes fish were really picky but once we figured out what they liked we chipped away at them.

Thank you Kate. I have a bunch to learn and appreciate your advice.

Thank you Big Mack - great suggestions here.

Default Any info on the latest fishing at Dworshak

Quote Originally Posted by eschmit04 View Post
    Launched at 6:00 fished canyon Creek until 2:00 landed 57. Lots of short strikes fish were really picky but once we figured out what they liked we chipped away at them.
    Checking to see if you had any kokanee fishing reports for Dworshak?
    looks like some good weather on Thursday so wanted to go try some kokanee fishing.
    Thanks
    Whatadeal

4/15 57, 4/18 25 with my 5 year old in 2.5 hours. Buddy caught 44 on sat. I'll be out there Thursday and headed further up the lake on Friday.

Default Many Thanks

thanks for the info!!!
    going to start at Mary's Bay on Thursday then to Canyon Creek later in the day.

Went up for a few hours last Friday.

Found some in Marys Bay, but action was slower for us so we moved. Other boats were getting them there just fine, don't know what they were using.

Moved to Indian Creek and found them. Some were schooled up, but mostly scattered. Biting on top and down to 30'+ Action was steady there and picking up, but had to head back before getting limits, don't doubt we would have if we stuck around. Smallest was 8", largest was over 11", I'd say average was almost 10"

They seemed to like pink best, but pink and yellow was a close second.

Default Cast and blast

Me and my cousin are headed up to do a combo trip next weekend with kokanee fishing and turkey hunting. We have grown up in boise but have never hunted that area. Do the birds usually gobble this late in the season? I saw a fellow koke fisherman mention doing this type of trip earlier in the season and was wondering how the trip ended up!

Last week and the weeks prior, I had been getting limits in Canyon Crk. Fish were 50 - 60' deep the last two weeks, and there were a lot of them on the finder. It seemed good all the way to the dam too, but I was sticking to Canyon Crk. Yesterday there were significantly fewer fish on the finder in Canyon Crk than before. I only caught a handful and had to search for them. Surface temp was 52, which seems like an increase. Went to Drift Crk later in the day to see if I could find some, and there were a few schools that were difficult to pin down. I also took a quick look in Indian Crk and didn't see any. It was a nice day to start, but turned stormy in the afternoon.

The most notable differences to me are the amount of debris from runoff and how fast the water is rising. Lots of logs and slash, and the water is a little gray too. Anyone think this has caused the change?

My other theory is that the increased surface temp has them on the surface now. I did see them jumping on the surface a bit. However, I ran a flatline for an hour and didn't get a bite.

I'm stumped. Maybe it was just an off day.

On another note, has anyone noticed that the average fish size in canyon crk is a bit smaller than in the main channel? I feel like there's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxdgard View Post
    Me and my cousin are headed up to do a combo trip next weekend with kokanee fishing and turkey hunting. We have grown up in boise but have never hunted that area. Do the birds usually gobble this late in the season? I saw a fellow koke fisherman mention doing this type of trip earlier in the season and was wondering how the trip ended up!
    They're still gobbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    Last week and the weeks prior, I had been getting limits in Canyon Crk. Fish were 50 - 60' deep the last two weeks, and there were a lot of them on the finder. It seemed good all the way to the dam too, but I was sticking to Canyon Crk. Yesterday there were significantly fewer fish on the finder in Canyon Crk than before. I only caught a handful and had to search for them. Surface temp was 52, which seems like an increase. Went to Drift Crk later in the day to see if I could find some, and there were a few schools that were difficult to pin down. I also took a quick look in Indian Crk and didn't see any. It was a nice day to start, but turned stormy in the afternoon.

The most notable differences to me are the amount of debris from runoff and how fast the water is rising. Lots of logs and slash, and the water is a little gray too. Anyone think this has caused the change?

My other theory is that the increased surface temp has them on the surface now. I did see them jumping on the surface a bit. However, I ran a flatline for an hour and didn't get a bite.

I'm stumped. Maybe it was just an off day.

On another note, has anyone noticed that the average fish size in canyon crk is a bit smaller than in the main channel? I feel like there's a difference.
    I fished canyon creek yesterday and had one bite in a couple hours at about 10’.

Finally found a couple more at Bruce’s at 30’. By far my worst day ever, I was stumped. Very few jumpers all over the lake. My guess is they were deep but my Lowrance Elite5 is back to being a piece of crap this year.

Quote Originally Posted by crazcougg View Post
    I fished canyon creek yesterday and had one bite in a couple hours at about 10’.

Finally found a couple more at Bruce’s at 30’. By far my worst day ever, I was stumped. Very few jumpers all over the lake. My guess is they were deep but my Lowrance Elite5 is back to being a piece of crap this year.
    Your post prompted checking water temps near the dam which have narrowed a lot in the last week or two with the reservoir filling rapidly. They should be living at about 25' this week and coming up in warmer temps occasionally to feed. The big change in outflow could have moved or scattered them. Anyone have experience what they do this time of year?

Default Fishing Was Too Good

Got out for the first time this year and against my usual patterns, fished Canyon Cr. We fished from 8-12 Sat and Sun and caught 60 both days and lost another 40+ each day. Didn't change much either day. Fishing small cow bells with a pink squid or wedding ring on a couple and a dodger with green wedding ring on another. The Fire Corn seemed like it was a shade more popular, but the garlic corn did just fine. It took a pass and a half to figure out 2oz at 70-80' (20-25' down) was the ticket. We were hitting pockets where all 4 rods would hook up at once, which the kids loved, but as soon as you could bait and start releasing one hook, another bite would happen. There were times we had to get off the line just to have the chance to re-rig. It did seem that closer to noon, the fish moved towards the main body and started running lower than 25'. We did throw a number of them back just because of the size.

Default Friday and Saturday

Fished Friday and Saturday. Took a bit to figure things out but fishing was decent. We had to slow our troll down to about 0.8 to 1.1 mph and we fished one to two ounces 60 to 90 feet of line. Dodgers worked best Saturday and Flash Lites on Sunday. Bronze/copper/orange early in the morning and chrome/pink latter in the morning. Didn't hit it too hard but put 60 in the cooler 8" to 10.5". Fished pretty much in and around Canyon Creek.

Travis

Default Monday of Memorial Weekend

Fished Monday a little between Dicks Cr. and Elk Creek. Then fished the north side below Dent Bridge, better fishing below Dent Bridge. Downrigger at 33 feet with dodger and pink/white micro hootchie did by far the best. Other three rods did okay with orange/bronze early and chrome/pink later using 2 oz at 60-80 ft and dodgers or flashlites with hootchies or spinners. I forgot the corn but the fish didn't seem to mind, the Berkeley Power Maggots in pink worked great. Most fish 9"-11", fished three and a half hours and put 43 in the boat, lost some and released some small ones. Surface water temp was 62 in am and 68 in the afternoon.

What is everyone else seeing out there?

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by THouse View Post
    Fished Monday a little between Dicks Cr. and Elk Creek. Then fished the north side below Dent Bridge, better fishing below Dent Bridge. Downrigger at 33 feet with dodger and pink/white micro hootchie did by far the best. Other three rods did okay with orange/bronze early and chrome/pink later using 2 oz at 60-80 ft and dodgers or flashlites with hootchies or spinners. I forgot the corn but the fish didn't seem to mind, the Berkeley Power Maggots in pink worked great. Most fish 9"-11", fished three and a half hours and put 43 in the boat, lost some and released some small ones. Surface water temp was 62 in am and 68 in the afternoon.

What is everyone else seeing out there?

Travis
    I had similar success all last week with similar gear (brad's dodgers, pink micro hoochies, diy corn) and depth directly across the channel from Freeman Crk. Trolled 1-1.2 mph.

Default 5/30/2021

5/30/2021 0730-3pm. Started by Big Eddy and maybe got 1. Went to Indian and got 4 or 5. Went down to the dam from there and got another 4 or 5. Ran up to between Dicks and Elk and got 10-15, but that was at mid-day heat and barely any wind. Ford Fenders and dodgers with wedding rings with corn and maggots. 2oz at 70 feet and 3oz at 40 feet got the fish.

Caught a couple limits in Canyon Creek the other day. From the surface to 40' depth.

Biggest was 9"

Only time I've ever had more bites on yellow than on pink and red. They seemed to like pop-gear this time more than dodgers, that is also new to me.

Fished Friday from Cranberry Ck upstream on the north side just over 4 hours for 50 kokes and 1 19" rainbow. Half Fast Arrow Flash and Simon Dodgers (pink)with various hoochies triple hook set up with corn and either white or pink power bait maggots 4 oz from 60-85 feet, great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Fog View Post
    Caught a couple limits in Canyon Creek the other day. From the surface to 40' depth.

Biggest was 9"

Only time I've ever had more bites on yellow than on pink and red. They seemed to like pop-gear this time more than dodgers, that is also new to me.
    Had that happen to me one time at Anderson. I had 3 rods out with dodgers and squid and was picking up a few, but had grandson on his kiddie pole with a bolo gang troll on, and he was killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Fished Friday from Cranberry Ck upstream on the north side just over 4 hours for 50 kokes and 1 19" rainbow. Half Fast Arrow Flash and Simon Dodgers (pink)with various hoochies triple hook set up with corn and either white or pink power bait maggots 4 oz from 60-85 feet, great day!
    thanks for the info
    checking to see if you had any kokanee fishing reports since it got hot!!!!!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whatadeal View Post
    thanks for the info
    checking to see if you had any kokanee fishing reports since it got hot!!!!!
    thanks
    I fished Friday and Saturday. It slowed down for me vs two weeks ago, but I think I was just off the game. Other people did just fine. With the hot weather, getting out there early seemed to be a factor.

I fished Friday and Saturday. It slowed down for me vs two weeks ago, but I think I was just off the game. Other people did just fine. With the hot weather, getting out there early seemed to be a factor.
    thanks for the info

Default Any Reports?

Just checking to see if anyone is doing well with the early drawdown, and how far up the reservoir they've moved? Thx!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast