Thread: 2021 East Idaho Kokanee Report (Ririe/Palisades/Island Park Reservoirs)

Hybrid View

Default 2021 East Idaho Kokanee Report (Ririe/Palisades/Island Park Reservoirs)

More fish, less Virus in 2021.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default IF&G posting

IF&G posted a nice page on Rire: https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/ice-fis...irie-reservoir

Those Tigers look like fun. Wonder if wearing a Detroit ball cap would help?

Has the ice gone off Ririe yet?

Was out that way for work last weekend 3-28 and was surprised to see it still iced up at least by Juniper when I drove by to have a look.

Was hoping to get my boat out this weekend and have a test run and some fishing!

Default Cinco de Mayo on Ririe

Two of us fished Ririe from around 9:30 to 5:30. We started near the dam and trolled 2 flat lines and two DR lines at around 20 feet. We did not mark any fish and did not get any bites, so we started working our way upstream. We started marking fish near the floating outhouse, suspended at 30-40 feet, so we dropped the balls and started catching fish. We did best between 35 and 45 feet. Best approach seemed to be to stack the lines at 35 and 45 feet. No luck on flashers. They seemed to prefer a sling blade dodger. Dodger color did not seem to matter. Most hits were on orange hoochies, but we also got a few on pink. Gold and orange needle fish also worked. Action came in spurts. We would troll for a while and get nothing, then we would get one right after another. We even had three on at one time. Total for the day was 7 fish in the boat, and we lost at least that many at the boat. I think it may be time to replace the hooks on some of our favorite lures. Sharp hooks seem to grab better. Fish were all 12-14 inches, nice fish for Ririe. I hope they put on another inch or two before the spawn.
    Water temp was 50-52 F, so I thought we would catch a few fish on the flatlines. We tried no weight and out to 100 feet with 1 oz. We never got a strike near the top.
    Always fun to keep trying until you figure out what works.

Quote Originally Posted by Armondo View Post
    Two of us fished Ririe from around 9:30 to 5:30. We started near the dam and trolled 2 flat lines and two DR lines at around 20 feet. We did not mark any fish and did not get any bites, so we started working our way upstream. We started marking fish near the floating outhouse, suspended at 30-40 feet, so we dropped the balls and started catching fish. We did best between 35 and 45 feet. Best approach seemed to be to stack the lines at 35 and 45 feet. No luck on flashers. They seemed to prefer a sling blade dodger. Dodger color did not seem to matter. Most hits were on orange hoochies, but we also got a few on pink. Gold and orange needle fish also worked. Action came in spurts. We would troll for a while and get nothing, then we would get one right after another. We even had three on at one time. Total for the day was 7 fish in the boat, and we lost at least that many at the boat. I think it may be time to replace the hooks on some of our favorite lures. Sharp hooks seem to grab better. Fish were all 12-14 inches, nice fish for Ririe. I hope they put on another inch or two before the spawn.
    Water temp was 50-52 F, so I thought we would catch a few fish on the flatlines. We tried no weight and out to 100 feet with 1 oz. We never got a strike near the top.
    Always fun to keep trying until you figure out what works.

Thanks for the report. Looks like you are figuring them out!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Quote Originally Posted by MMDON View Post
    Thanks for the report. Looks like you are figuring them out!
    Hopefully we can figure them out next time. That is the challenge.