Thread: Yamaha F150TXR Outboard

Default Yamaha F150TXR Outboard

I’ve been researching a whinny noise coming from my main F150 Yamaha boat motor. At first I always thought it was a normal sound coming from this outboard when I bought this boat 4yrs ago. I came across it accidentally when I was looking at info posted thru a boating forum and there I found many new threads about a harmonic balancer. As I was digging and finding old threads I had found many folks had changed the harmonic balancer with a newer version throughout the years. Some newer versions yet still got replaced as the issue never got a fix. From 2004 to 2012 there were 4 upgrades from original design. Previous 4 versions were still having same issue which are obsolete now and last version was fix.
    These are the part numbers listed:
    2004 63P-11500-00-00
    2005 63P-11500-01-00 changed
    2006 63P-11500-02-00 changed
    2009 63P-11500-03-00 changed
    2012 63P-11500-04-00 changed
    I could have made a career reading thru the multiple threads on that forum from years past but one individual mentioned a YouTube video so the first video listed in my search was enough to help me. I couldn’t find a part number but did find a 1 stamped on my balancer housing. I took a pic of the balancer housing with a circle around a couple of numbers but just above that circle is 1, that is the only indicator. Next is the YouTube video of a Yamaha F150 making a whinny noise which is the same exact noise mine makes. You’ll hear the difference from old balancer to new balancer, its very distinctive. From the info I collected these balancers self-destruct with there plastic gears in time clogging oil system which can lead to trashing the motor eventually and mine has been well on the way of doing that for a long time from my judgement. My motor is considered a 2007 date of manufacture is 2006 which is suggesting that this balancer is the original installed at the factory. When bought it had 668hrs and now it 761hrs. That's a $15-20g deep pocket expense for a new motor or more for a $425 part. I ordered a new balancer unfortunately its going to be at the least 2wks before receiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3hzP9_sj0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harmonic Balancer.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	10028  
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Consider yourself lucky to be capable of doing it yourself. It was an $850 fix for me about a dozen years ago.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Consider yourself lucky to be capable of doing it yourself. It was an $850 fix for me about a dozen years ago.
    As luck seems to be it has nothing to do with my mechanical skill. It’s a way of life I chose as a mechanic and I retired after 38yrs. Luck is putting a buck into a lottery and winning back a million then it turns into a dream of a new boat. The balancer on the F150 is an easy task for me after evaluating work involved, only purchase of the part, shipping cost, and my time involved. All of the rest is sitting in my tool chest. In this case I don't have to schedule an appointment to put my boat in a shop and wonder when it will be ready to pick up. At my age I can pick & choose those tasks I want to farm out to a shop and its usually the ones I use to do.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF