Thread: AGM Battery

Default AGM Battery

AGM-Absorbed Glass Mat battery, who uses this battery for your boat? I bought a DieHard Platinum Marine battery from Sears in 2008 and its still going strong. Its used as the house battery for engine starting. When I hit the 10yr time frame I was starting to wonder when this battery was going to see it's demise but it just keeps going. I also use a regular lead acid deep cycle for my accessories which needs to be replaced in 3-5yr time frame. The AGM cost is higher than the the regular lead acid acid but by the time a purchase of 2 lead acids could pay for 1 AGM. AGM is considered a lead acid style in size but doesn't require lead acid to maintain. As soon as my lead acid battery starts going down hill I will replace it with another AGM. I'm also going to start replacing my auto batteries with AGM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sears DieHard.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	10026  
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I bought a die hard agm in 2010. It made it just past the 3 yr warrantee and died hard. I replaced it with an interstate agm and have had zero issues. The other batteries in the boat are interstate wet cells. I also have a couple of interstate agm’s in my diesel pu. They’ve been in service for about 6 years. Turns the diesel over easily even at -25 degrees.

Mackayguy shines a light on why I can't bring myself to buy an expensive battery. it seems to be the luck of the draw with ANY batteries.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I use a smaller AGM (about 1/2 the size of standard) to run my old LCX27c ice fishing. If it has a full charge on it it will run the finder for a few days. The one thing I really like about it is that it is 100% sealed and if it gets tipped over I have no worries. It's about 7 years old I think?

I tried a few of the yellow tops years ago in the boat and only got about 3 years out of them. I run wet Interstates now and get about 3 years out of them at about half the price.

I have had more than my share of woes with the wet cell acid battery as well as some good batteries over the years. The area of installation always succumbs to corrosive deterioration with electrical and hardware. I haven't seen battery warranty's to go much past 4-5yrs for any battery. Lead acid wet cell are victimized by vibration and the hard jolt punishment boats can deliver while in rough water. Just think when batteries are installed in a compartment in the bow area for bow mount motors on how much abuse is delivered. There are alot of good reviews for AGM but doesn't mean a bad one won't come along. I will not buy a Optima battery as they are way too pricey while other competers have lower pricing. A good source is Battery Plus stores.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF