Thread: last Saturday

Default last Saturday

Went down Friday night after work. Fished Saturday morning starting at 530. 4 bites 1 pup and 2 nice kokes. 45 to 65 feet. Seems low numbers but nice size.
    I figure about 75 bucks a fish. But all worth it fishing with my boy. Fished out of buckboard using pink billed squid.

The bite has been tough this year especially for kokes at most lakes I venture to, glad to see pink still working. Rawlins is a hefty drive probably about the same 3hrs I do. Making do of your time is what's best when 1day is involved. I'm planning my last hoorah for the season at the Gorge soon.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

It has been a strange year up there all around. I don't think that I have caught a single fish this summer on a billed squid where normally there are days that all 4 rods have one on.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

It has been a very strange year. We are catching a few on the cotton candy billed squid but not a lot anywhere. Seems to me that you sometimes have to back to the old stand by lures this year. I know we have thorn the hole box at them to just get a limit most days. We will be at it again this week.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguysrule View Post
    It has been a very strange year. We are catching a few on the cotton candy billed squid but not a lot anywhere. Seems to me that you sometimes have to back to the old stand by lures this year. I know we have thorn the hole box at them to just get a limit most days. We will be at it again this week.
    My gunnel tray is a disaster at the end of every day with lures and dodgers. And once you find something that semi works that day, getting it to repeat the next day is rare. We only have a couple weeks left in our season up there.

Default Worried...

I just read your report and some of the other comments. We are planning on going up there next week but it sounds like it is not very good this year at the Gorge. Are the fish numbers down or are there other factors? What areas are best to try?
    We usually fish Breeze Hill, Skunk Cliffs, Brinegars and Anvil. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinook View Post
    I just read your report and some of the other comments. We are planning on going up there next week but it sounds like it is not very good this year at the Gorge. Are the fish numbers down or are there other factors? What areas are best to try?
    We usually fish Breeze Hill, Skunk Cliffs, Brinegars and Anvil. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    "Not very good" at the Gorge still beats the heck out of a lot of other places. For us, daily catch numbers are WAY down and some days we have had our ass handed to us. There are still quality fish being caught, we have just had to work a heck of a lot harder this year it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    It has been a strange year up there all around. I don't think that I have caught a single fish this summer on a billed squid where normally there are days that all 4 rods have one on.
    That is all that has worked for us. Watched a YouTube video with Mike Hall this winter using spin n glo's. Tied up a bunch and started using in May. Not a bite. Only fish we have caught is on Pink and silver glitter billed hoochies. We are going tomorrow and all rods will have the billed hoochies. Not blaming Mr. Hall because on his video he was slaying them. Just a strange year. Last year most days we had our limit by 9 or 10. This year we have only limited out 2 times in 7 trips.

Default Slow year, for sure

I'm not a kokanee expert by anybody's standards, but manage to put a few in the boat every trip. I've never been skunked om kokanee at the Gorge. Can't say that about Strawberry or Jordanelle. I've been there 4 times so far this year and have two more trips planned this month (Aug 2020). We have not limited more times than we did limit on kokanee. Last day up there we caught our 6 kokanee in 70 minutes with one 7 to 8 inch released early. I have definitely seen less fish on the sonar and in the livewell this year than I did in the last 2 years. So for me, this year's production of kokanee is down. I, along with many others that I talk to, are of the same opinion; a major factor in the lower numbers is PROBABLY due to the huge increase in the number of folks fishing the Gorge this year and the huge increase in number of boats on the water this year. Full parking lots during the week is the norm this year and I can't remember any previous year where that was the case. I think it's way too early to know if this is the start of a long term trend. I'll be back to the Gorge next year for at least 6 trips and hope for better success and less people.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.