Thread: Fontanelle 7-15-2020

Default Fontanelle 7-15-2020

Went on another adventure with my little furry friend fishing. I have driven by Fontanelle many times but mostly during its frozen stages. About 3yrs ago was the first time I saw the actual soft form and never realized how large this reservoir was. In the past it was snow covered looking like any other Wyoming frozen tundra. After seeing its setting I made the decision to visit this lake. I was attempting to make plans but timing with the Wyoming breeze wasn't in my favor. So late Tuesday evening after gathering info on what to use & where to fish I looked at wind forecast and it was going to be the best Ill get for chance on Wednesday, went to Wyoming G&F website purchased online a 1 day license. This sure makes it easy rather then searching for a license dealer. I launched at the ramp(noticed there was only one other boater judging the lone parked vehicle with trailer) around 0730ish fishing in dam area with no takers. Water temp was 65° and marking fish in top 15FOT, one report I received the kokes were shallow. I moved on exploring another area and found the mother lode, a lot were shallow as found in dam area but there were schools down deep 60-70' in 85-90FOT. I fished one rig shallow & one deep. I presented the arsenal to the deep but school was in session with teaching lockjaw. But fishing with an RMT double glow squid behind a hyperplaid dodger got me 2 kokes & 2 cutts. By 2pm water temp was up to 72°, I could tell the sheep were starting to gather in the pasture and time to get off of the water. All in all I wasn't disappointed and will be making future plans. The 2 kokes I caught were feisty, fat in 2lb range.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fontanelle Res Wyoming1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	9992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fontanelle Res Wyoming2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	9993  
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Roger , ,glad you got to experience fontenelle,it is one of my favorites waters to fish. It is a very temperamental body of water. One day you can knock the crap outta the fish,then the next day to can't buy a fish. One thing that hurts fontenelle is the fluctuating water levels. The kokes up there don't like this at all. Fontenelle has a very poor recruitment of spawning kokes,and this is one reason the limit is 6 instead of 3 like the gorge. Fall fishing at fontenelle is my favorite time of year to fish there,that when the big browns like to play.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Hi Tim, Gary told me the same thing fishing the Font but had to experience the lake for myself. Bear Lake here is our hard to fish lake and we hit it from fall thru to spring providing it doesn't cap in the winter, buttttt the break is needed at times. I don't want to make a habit of fishing those type of lakes. Font is still on my list which I have to figure in the best time to go and hope the big "W" works in my favor.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I love fontanelle, we fish it mostly through the ice. It is a fun lake with good koke, brown, rainbow, and burbot fishing! I love that you can be there for 2 or 3 days and only see a half a dozen rigs show up!
    Mack's Pro Staff