Thread: Spirit Lake Idaho (northern Idaho)

Default Spirit Lake Idaho (northern Idaho)

Fished Spirit Lake on Friday ended up catching 2. Learned that leader length has a lot to do with triggering a bite. My leaders were 24”-28” long. Learned this after we left the lake from reading on the forum. In the process of shortening all of my leaders. I tie my own hoochie rigs so just costs Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A0B5F25-34D3-43F5-96CB-1F1133E0D16B.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	9990me some time in the evenings. Can’t wait to go back and try it again with the shorter leaders. Tying the now at 13”-15” as my dodgers are 5” so 2.5 times would put me at 15” so we will see.

Those are still too long for me with a hoochie. I stay with 10" leaders.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Ok tied some at 10” too 😎 thanks for the tip!!

Dennis, when I make my pre-tied leaders, I make them all 18” to 20” long so that they will be long enough for everything from Apexes to hoochies. When I am on the boat, it is easy to tie the loop at the exact length that I want.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Dennis, when I make my pre-tied leaders, I make them all 18” to 20” long so that they will be long enough for everything from Apexes to hoochies. When I am on the boat, it is easy to tie the loop at the exact length that I want.
    This is very good advice to follow as most do this. Size hooks to use average between size 4 or 6.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Fished Spirit Lake on Friday ended up catching 2. Learned that leader length has a lot to do with triggering a bite. My leaders were 24”-28” long. Learned this after we left the lake from reading on the forum. In the process of shortening all of my leaders. I tie my own hoochie rigs so just costs Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A0B5F25-34D3-43F5-96CB-1F1133E0D16B.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	9990me some time in the evenings. Can’t wait to go back and try it again with the shorter leaders. Tying the now at 13”-15” as my dodgers are 5” so 2.5 times would put me at 15” so we will see.
    I was out there yesterday. Had problems with my kicker so didn't fish just putted around on my main engine. I didn't mark a single fish! I made several passes through the deeper water by the county boat launch in the south east corner. Do you guys fish somewhere else? Just seems too shallow everywhere else in the lake for kokanee.

We have been fishing in water that is anywhere between 60-80 ft and catching them between 20-25 feet.. Hope that helps ya out 😎. Canned 11 lbs of fillets last night was a long day but a lot of fun!! Ended up with 7 on Saturday along with a nice 2 3/4 lb hybrid rainbow and then 15 on Sunday along with a 15” cutthroat. Was a good weekend on the lake. All of the silvers have been 12-14” really nice fish!!
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-27-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    We have been fishing in water that is anywhere between 60-80 ft and catching them between 20-25 feet.. Hope that helps ya out 😎. Canned 11 lbs of fillets last night was a long day but a lot of fun!! Ended up with 7 on Saturday along with a nice 2 3/4 lb hybrid rainbow and then 15 on Sunday along with a 15” cutthroat. Was a good weekend on the lake. All of the silvers have been 12-14” really nice fish!!
    Awesome! I tend to fish CDA when the fish move into the North part of the lake late AUG/SEPT That is awesome. I will have to give Spirit lake a good look. Hopefully I will have your kind of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    This is very good advice to follow as most do this. Size hooks to use average between size 4 or 6.
    I use a size 4 Hook either Eagle Claw or Gamakatsu or however you spell it :)

Default Fishing tomorrow

Headed out in the morning - hoping that mid week and cooler weather will bring less boat and jet ski traffic and more fish. Going to try some new baits as well... Tight Lines!!!