Thread: The gorge, again...06/29/20

Default The gorge, again...06/29/20

Bombed up to the gorge to bring home the trailer, but not without trying to whack a few kokes in the crappy rainy weather.... Fished about 3 hours in the rain and caught a handful of kokes and trout on wiggle hoochies behind a sling blade. Hooked up the trailer and bombed home! 7 hours or driving for 3 hours of fishing is not ideal for me, but was happy to get on the water and leave with a limit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nicekoke.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	9982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	limotokokes.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	9983  
    Mack's Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by TrophyBoat View Post
    Bombed up to the gorge to bring home the trailer
    Is this an indication your finished with the Gorge for the season? I know those 3hr one way drives there takes a toll in one day but that's been my way for last 8yrs. I have one maybe 2 trips left.I use to dry storage my trailer at Lucerne.

Nice catch Kody
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I don't do day trips to the Gorge or Strawberry. My trips to the Gorge are usually for 3 days. Leave on day 1 at 5 AM. Arrive at 8 AM and on the water with lines out by 9 AM. Fish until driven off by wind or 3 PM. Check in to the Villa Inn and relax until dinner time at Brownings. Get up at 5 AM on day 2 and head to the Buckboard, Lucerne, or Sheep Creek launch. Fish until driven off by wind or 3 PM. Return to the Villa Inn and relax until dinner time at Brownings. Get up at 5 AM on day 3 and head to the Buckboard, Lucerne, or Sheep Creek launch. Fish until driven off by wind or 11 AM. Pack it all in and head home. I bring breakfast and lunch food from home to eat on the boat or in the room. Motel room is less than $80/night split 2 ways. Fuel and home food is about $100 split 2 ways. Brownings is about $15 each night. Strawberry will be camping in my truck for 3 days/2 nights in an electric hook-up site (for charging the boat batteries) with all food brought from home. Five to six hours of driving for 4 to 6 hours of fishing doesn't work for me anymore.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

For sure bob, it sucks. but some of us have to work still! Its been nice having my trailer on the beach tho, drive up, launch boat, fish, beach boat next to trailer, nap, go fish, repeat. I got 6, 2-4 day trips in this years so im not complaining ,too bad, about 1-1day trip! I'll be back a few more times before its over!
    Mack's Pro Staff

For sure bob, it sucks. but some of us have to work still! Its been nice having my trailer on the beach tho, drive up, launch boat, fish, beach boat next to trailer, nap, go fish, repeat. I got 6, 2-4 day trips in this years so im not complaining ,too bad, about 1-1day trip! I'll be back a few more times before its over!
    Sorry, not familiar with that word. What's it mean?

I have two 3-day trips (Mon to Wed) scheduled in July & August. Life is good.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Nice, im at my legal capacity for kokes..... so Im chasing white meat fish for a month until i can get em eatin up! Willard has been on FIRE!
    keep tabs on the gorge kokes for me meanwile!!
    Mack's Pro Staff

Nice, im at my legal capacity for kokes..... so Im chasing white meat fish for a month until i can get em eatin up! Willard has been on FIRE!
    keep tabs on the gorge kokes for me meanwile!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020 Fishing Guidebook
    Possession limit means, for purposes of this rule only, two daily limits, including fish in a cooler, camper, tent, freezer, livewell or any other place of storage, excluding fish stored in an individual’s permanent residence.
    Once you get any fish species to you permanent residence, possession limit there is unlimited - legal capacity doesn't apply. Been that way for a couple of years now. But then, white meat fish are good also.

Bob, that possession limit may very well apply in Utah, but as I understand the Wyoming regs that is not the case. I’m sure you meant utah, but to anyone else who might read this I figured I would clear it up! In Wyoming the regs read -

“Possession Limit
    Means the maximum number of game fish that may legally be in possession at any time and in any form. Game fish in transit or storage, including home or domicile, shall be considered in possession. Pos- session limits apply regardless of how many days an angler has fished.”

I personally think it’s stupid. Make a 4 day trip to the Gorge and only legally be able to bring home 3 fish per person. Such is life though...

Quote Originally Posted by POk3s View Post
    Bob, that possession limit may very well apply in Utah, but as I understand the Wyoming regs that is not the case. I’m sure you meant utah, but to anyone else who might read this I figured I would clear it up! In Wyoming the regs read -

“Possession Limit
    Means the maximum number of game fish that may legally be in possession at any time and in any form. Game fish in transit or storage, including home or domicile, shall be considered in possession. Pos- session limits apply regardless of how many days an angler has fished.”

I personally think it’s stupid. Make a 4 day trip to the Gorge and only legally be able to bring home 3 fish per person. Such is life though...
    Ooops! My bad. That is, in fact, from the UTAH 2020 Guidebook and applies only to Utah. Fish, like gamebirds, should have a 2 or 3 day possession limit IMHO. We now have that for Flaming Gorge inside Utah; possession in the field, in Utah, is two daily limits. Once I get them home, I can immediately go get another possession limit. I like it.

Word is that Wyoming is considering an increase to 4 kokanee per day out of the Gorge effective Jan 1, 2022. Utah just put out a survey requesting input on supporting that increase for Utah as well on that date. I voted in favor of it.

I would vote in favor of it as well. I would like to see two times your daily limit as your possession limit. I’m almost positive that’s how Wyoming used to be but changed it. And I understand that’s hard to enforce but people come from all over the country to fish the gorge and only be able to keep 3 kokes. Just doesn’t seem right! I also get a little sour when I go fish for walleye for 2 or 3 days and can only bring home 6 after traveling all that way.

i agree it would be nice to be able to take home a nice haul, but I also enjoy the larger fish that tend to show up on the wyoming side of the reservoir..... 3 big kokes produce nearly as much table fare as 6 decent kokes. Im no biologist, but I think Wyoming koke fishing at the gorge is good as it gets, so why go changing something thats been more than phenomenal for better than 20 year.....
    Mack's Pro Staff