Thread: Porcupine Report

Default Porcupine Report

I had the opportunity to fish Porcupine this past Monday with limited success. The reservoir is full, water temp 53-54. I got on the water mid morning and was the only boat on the glass calm water. I only saw one well defined school at 25’ and was only able to boat one koke with a couple hit and missed. I would imagine as the water gets warmer the schools will be easier to locate. A beautiful place to be on the water.

I fished it with a friend last month for 2 - 7" Kokes and a couple of drive byes. It was my first time there and it was a beautiful little lake.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Porcupine holds many very good memories for me. Prior to the gate installed at east end there were some descent primitive campgrounds along the stream that fed the lake. I use to deer & grouse hunt those areas up & beyond in the mid 70's. Fishing was and still is good then & now. Kokanee have been here for a long time.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

This lake was my dad's favorite places to fish. I remember spending the opening weekend fishing off the dam. Boy that was many years ago.

I hope to get out with the grandkids a little more this year. Porcupine seems like a family friendly place to go, fishing in the morning and playing in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident13 View Post
    I hope to get out with the grandkids a little more this year. Porcupine seems like a family friendly place to go, fishing in the morning and playing in the afternoon.
    Define playing, I think it is only a 5 mph lake.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I forgot to mention I’m a kayak angler 5mph to me is flying.

Default 5/23

Fished porcupine again the 5/23 with a bit better success. Got 4 in the boat and lost at least as many just before the net. Early on I was targeting a couple of schools at 24’ and towards the end of the trip I found 3 schools at 45-50’ which were much more active producing at least a bump on each pass. Probably would have had better success if I had changed to an easier to see color for the deeper fish after starting out with pink.
    The air temp was low 40s and water was about 52 on the surface. Only a couple of other boats on the water.

What was the size of the ones you got, as Dave said we got 7” kokes

They weren’t giants but 8 1/2 - 11” are big enough to make me want to go back. I didn’t get much of a chance to fish porcupine last year due to back problems but i do remember catching a few 13”- 14” the year before with 12” being not uncommon. With a 12 fish limit they do add up to a few meals and are a heck of a lot of fun.

Thanks sounds like they are growing, I got one about 12.5 last fall late season. Good luck and maybe I will see you up there as we are building in Paradise, when I’m there I will be in a white with blue drift boat

Default Not sure yet

I'm thinking about maybe getting up there sometime next month. I didn't make it up there at all last year. Always fun to catch a limit of those smaller 'kokanee kandy' size for the smoker. Just the right size for snacking.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Default Road and water level

I forgot to mention that the road is much smoother going up the hill by the dam than it was a couple of years ago, and the lake is full.