Thread: E Canyon

Default E Canyon

E Canyon Res was a lake at one time that was maintained with kokanee and my first time trolling for them in 1977. By about 1992 time frame the kokanee population had fizzled out with the lake taken off off the stock list. I had heard a couple of rumors of what had happened and hoping someone will pipe in with the story. In 2019 there was a stock of over 10,000 kokanee and another more recent in April 2020 of near 17,000.

https://dwrapps.utah.gov/fishstocking/Fish
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Small lake, relatively shallow. Success even pre-wiper would have been difficult at best. Post wiper, forget about it.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

That got me to thinking - where are they stocking kokanee salmon this year? Here's what I found from the stocking reports. These are the places where kokanee have been planted thus far in Utah in 2020. The planted fish are all in the 3" to 4" range (fingerlings) so should see a fairly good survival rate - I hope.

EAST CANYON: 16965
    ENTERPRISE: 5038
    FISH LAKE: 84309
    FLAMING GORGE: 483482
    JORDANELLE RES: 132082
    LOST CREEK: 12528
    ROCKPORT: 30045
    STARVATION: 71886
    STRAWBERRY: 291724

Anybody else surprised about East Canyon (again), Lost Creek, or Rockport? I did not expect to see planting in those three.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

I heard about the possibility at one time that Lost Creek was being considered about 6 or 7yrs ago. With the time lapse I thought it was off the table. I am surprised that EC is on again also expect it to do well and would have never thought Rockport would be stocked.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I for one would love to see East Canyon, rockport, lost creek, etc really take off and go with the kokes. Lost creek has a pretty healthy population of Cutts that are predator size fish and will get nice and fat on the Koke fry. East canyon has a great population of nice crappie, small mouths and tigers.Let alone will see how the Wipers are doing up there if they make it through. Rockport has some nice healthy brown trout that will enjoy the Buffett.

Fingers crossed the kokes will take a hold and make in at least one or two of these places.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    I for one would love to see East Canyon, rockport, lost creek, etc really take off and go with the kokes. Lost creek has a pretty healthy population of Cutts that are predator size fish and will get nice and fat on the Koke fry. East canyon has a great population of nice crappie, small mouths and tigers.Let alone will see how the Wipers are doing up there if they make it through. Rockport has some nice healthy brown trout that will enjoy the Buffett.

Fingers crossed the kokes will take a hold and make in at least one or two of these places.
    Mark, I like the way you put this. The sacrificial lamb in this case could be the kokes to enhance other predators in size enroute to greater fishery. I too would like see the kokes do well.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Default EC Kokes...

down 35ft orange rmt billed squid 1.7 mph