Thread: A Gorge-ous Good Day 5-5-2020

Default A Gorge-ous Good Day 5-5-2020

Picked up AFDan at o'dark thirty as this is our usual norm. As I have change my mind before in the past whenever I get to the split of I-84 & I-80 I stayed on track to the Gorge not opting for the Berry since ice off. As we pulled into Evanston port of entry we could see Wyoming F&G hasn't awaken yet by 0520ish like they were the week before. Got to Lucerne about 0730 and quickly onto water. We headed to Anvil Draw(water temp 46°) since this has been the hot spot for a couple of weeks. We found the kokes and did really good but the numbers didn't seem to add after hearing from others & seeing what we did on the sonar. We trolled there for a while with an occasional burst of hit & run with 1 double. Heading south thru the pipe we couldn't buy a bite with anything. As we entered Rawlins Draw(temp up to 52°) we found the motherlode of kokes everywhere. By then it was later in the afternoon and lockjaw had set in, it was also time to wrap it up. It was a good day with calm seas and occasional nice slight breeze that would feel good on a toasted face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port of Entry Moon Set.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	9957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Our Limits.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	9958  
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Nice Job fellas. what was the colors and set ups used?
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Nice chunks Roger.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Nice haul Roger. Gotta love a spring day with good weather!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Pink lures was the better choice, orange wasn't working this trip.The bite got better when corn was tipped. It won't be long before those 15-17" fish be much larger as in June & July.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Looks like a great day, did you notice any difference in the size of the fish between up north and Rawlins? I have not fished Rawlins this year.

Nice job looks like it is time to finish the honey do's and get my but up there. Thanks for the report.

By the time we got to Rawlins the bite was practically in lockjaw mode and getting late. We did bring one to the boat at which we could see it was about 14-15" then self released. Not enough to be judgemental of size in the area. I do have to add these were some feisty kokes no matter the size and was great watching their acrobatic dance on the surface.
    Last edited by Bduck; 05-07-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Hope you had plenty of fuel,haha,,,,, good on you guys for catching the fish you did.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    Hope you had plenty of fuel,haha,,,,, good on you guys for catching the fish you did.
    Love it! This boat has a much bigger tank so hopefully won't happen again.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    Tim, all has changed since then soooo if I ever run out of gas again you better bring 2-3 grandkids.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel