Thread: Downrigger release clip tension

Default Downrigger release clip tension

If a release clip is set where there is too much tension, can it have a negative impact on landing fish? I'm asking because of the poor landing percentage on my last trip. We landed two out of the nine fish we hooked. It was my first time out where the indication of a fish on, was usually when we saw it jump or heard it splash before noticing the rod moving. At first I thought the lost fish were due to them being larger and the aerial maneuvers. I had a few individuals on the boat that were new to trolling. I figured out they were placing the line deep in the clip, preventing the fish from pulling it out. It also required a great deal of tension from the rod to break it free. The fish were lost after the line was popped out of the clip though. Can this issue cause a poor hook set or allow the fish to more easily throw the hooks?

Many actually do this on purpose because they believe it makes for a better hook set. It also possible that if you saw no rod shake before the fish jump that they were hitting your lure going straight up or towards the boat and not getting the good hook set.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

My wife used to do the same thing put the line in so deep that she had to bring the ball up to unclip it. She lost a lot of fish this way. Then we starts to use the chamberlin release for her and now I have to fish for second every time we go now!

There a release called a chambern you can adjust your tension by magnetic hold for release tension and tension from your pole to the release. I've gone to these years ago will stop your problem. There spendy but well worth it good luck

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    There a release called a chambern you can adjust your tension by magnetic hold for release tension and tension from your pole to the release. I've gone to these years ago will stop your problem. There spendy but well worth it good luck
    But good luck teaching a non fishing guest to use them which is really the source of his problem. I do use this style of release but there is no getting away from patience training novice guests no matter which style of release is used.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    I second the Chamberlain Release. I find them very easy to use and nearly as easy for newbies to learn as the pinch types. They work especially well for smaller kokes. It has 2 adjustments one for the tension it takes for the fish to pull it out and one for the tension to load your pole. Once they are set, no one has to mess with them. Just twist your line several times and snap it in the release. For us they work great. I won't use anything else.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by KokaneeJoe View Post
    I second the Chamberlain Release. I find them very easy to use and nearly as easy for newbies to learn as the pinch types. They work especially well for smaller kokes. It has 2 adjustments one for the tension it takes for the fish to pull it out and one for the tension to load your pole. Once they are set, no one has to mess with them. Just twist your line several times and snap it in the release. For us they work great. I won't use anything else.
    Do these work well with braid as well as mono? I switched to nothing but braid on rods unless in the salt for salmon where I will use a top shot of mono on top of braid.

Quote Originally Posted by bob r View Post
    Do these work well with braid as well as mono? I switched to nothing but braid on rods unless in the salt for salmon where I will use a top shot of mono on top of braid.
    I have not used braid myself but it seems I read somewhere that they do work but you have to put about 10 or 12 twists in your loop instead of 7 or 8.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

With a Chamberlain release the design is tension not line friction. The loop pulls on the trigger to release and really doesn't matter what the material is.

I've used Chamberlains for years with mono, braid and fluoro. 5-7 twists have always worked well for me regardless of line type. The one thing about Chamberlains is that you do have to adjust rear release if you make significant changes in your hardware (Flashers, lures etc.) At the Gorge, I may switch from chasing kokes to lakers. Running heavier gear for lakers will pre-release (and piss you off) and it's usually happens after you get your downrigger down to depth. The next morning when you go after kokes again and forget to loosen up the releases, you may drag your kokes to death...not that I've ever been known to do either (or at least admit to it). They really are a good release if you're willing to read the directions, follow them, and mess with adjusting them till you get them set right. Once you understand how they, everything becomes second nature. They're quick, easy and you can get your lines down fast. If you're in to running two lines off a single downrigger they offer a stacker that works well too.

Chamberlains are great releases as are Blacks, which I prefer since I like to trigger the release myself when a fish strikes. Blacks are also smaller in size.