Thread: Kokanee rod

Default Kokanee rod

Hey all I bought 4 Cabela's depthmaster trolling combos per some advice I was given. Reels are not bad but I hate the rods for kokanee way to stiff.

My question is those of you with experience do you like the eagleclaw feather light rods or the okuma SST rods more?

I don't use those brand rods you mention but have heard good about the Okuma rods. Mine consist of a pair of Vance's spiral wrap, a pair of Rocky Mountain Tackle Jerod Johnson signature rods, a pair of Velocity rods sold by Rocky Mountain Tackle. All of which is sold in the $70-80 range. The Velocity's come in a couple of different lengths and colors. My preference in rod length ranges from 7-7 1/2' for kokanee. I use a couple of low profile cold water 354D Okuma reels, Okuma Convector reels and very happy with those. Its all based on your budget as well.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Are you a noodle rod guy or a rod with back bone guy? I've owned the Okuma SST rods and they have a very sensitive tip but a little stiffer in the butt section than the Eagle Claw rod. Personally, I like a limber rod tip to handle. I don't own that rod but have felt it a few times at Sportsman's Warehouse. Matter of fact, both rods that you have mentioned are in stock at Sportsman's Warehouse so you can get a feel for them. If I was forced to pick between the 2, I'd pick the Eagle Claw. However, if you can make it to a SW, try the Tica Kokanee rod as well. My Koke rod combination is 2 of the Tica rods and 2 of the blue Velocity rods.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I would take the SST rods over the Eagle claw rods. I think they have I bit more back bone . I have been running the Ninja rods made by Velocity for last few year. They have a soft tip but also have a good back bone that will let you move a crazy koke that is heading in to the prop.

Thanks for the reply guys. I think I'll go with the eagle claws due to the $30 price point. I landed plenty of fish on the depth masters when I used them but would like more of a noodle that I can really load up. If I ever end up targeting those 20" kokes I'll bring the depthmasters.

I've never seen a Depthmaster that would remotely be a Kokanee rod. I was using the lightest one I could find for ocean King salmon. For the price, I think that you will be happy with the Eagle Claw rods. Put a decent reel on them as that is one area that I don't try to go cheap.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I use the eagle claws and they work pretty good for me! The wife likes a little more back bone on hers so she likes the sst also. I have the depth masters that I will use for kingfish or hoos in the gulf and they do well. You have to find what works for you. Everyone has a different fell in there hands. Good luck

I have enjoyed my okuma kokanee rods. I've never tried the eagle claw brand.

I am very happy with my 7 1/2' Lamiglass rod. It makes fighting the fish fun. Only time I regretted having it was the time I hooked a big lake trout on it. I could feel him shaking his head, but did not have the leverage to move him. He eventually broke off. I also got good service from Lamiglass. We had a little accident and I broke the tip off the rod. It was my fault, so I paid for a new tip, but they sent it out the same day I called them! Best part is that I kept the broken tip and put a new guide on the end. Now I have 2 rods, a 7 1/2' limber one for kokanee and a 6' 9" stiffer one for big lake trout.

i had one okumakoke rods ,it was a ok rod but unfortunately it broke imeditly after i got it i returned it and paid 10 more buck and got another velocity blue rod , which in my opinion is the best koke rod out there .

I prefer my 7 1/2’ Lamiglass kok rod but I also have a couple of eagle law which also work well.