Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Only problem is the campgrounds are closed.
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Only problem is the campgrounds are closed.
    That's what I'm trying to work around. I'm pretty sure I can find a spot to park my trailer on State or Potlatch ground in the Dent Acres area. Near Canyon Crk it's going to be more difficult to find a dispersed campsite.

Default That sucked.

Not a good day for catching fish. Started at Indian Crk, ended at Elk, caught one fish. A good one, but just the one.

Got a swing by by the sheriff boat, spent some time yakking with him. He said everyone was not catching. That's fishing. Beautiful perfect 70ƒ day. Water temps got to 50ƒ in afternoon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koke4:10:20.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	9932

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    Does anyone have any input on if a guy could do ok in the Elk Crk/Cole Crk/Dent Acres area? I'm trying to nail down an area where I could be both close to decent fishing and dispersed camping on State or Potlatch. I'm going to check it out Friday, but if it's not worth my time it would be nice to know. With the kayak, once I pick a place for a day, I'm committed.
    Everything around dent is private property. closest potlatch or state ground is a few miles away. Thing is you have to go thru private to get there

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Not a good day for catching fish. Started at Indian Crk, ended at Elk, caught one fish. A good one, but just the one.

Got a swing by by the sheriff boat, spent some time yakking with him. He said everyone was not catching. That's fishing. Beautiful perfect 70ƒ day. Water temps got to 50ƒ in afternoon.

Name:	koke4:10:20.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	9932

They started letting water out. When they do this the kokanee go off the bite. When the lake goes down and creates small amount of current, kokanee start moving upstream. They have whats called positive reotaxis. All salmon and steelhead have it. When they encounter flow in their face the travel into it. Makes them hard to catch when they are on the move

Quote Originally Posted by microfish View Post
    Everything around dent is private property. closest potlatch or state ground is a few miles away. Thing is you have to go thru private to get there
    Yep, it's Corps and private surrounding Dent. It's only a 5 mile drive to State land though. Most of the through roads are public ROW. We found a decent spot on a landing on IDL to park the trailer. No people and lots of deer, elk, and turkey to watch.

The fishing around Dent was pretty decent for me. Lots of fish, and I'd say they averaged a little bigger sized than in Canyon Crk. I fished Wednesday and Thursday and caught and saw plenty. Tried again today, and felt like I was starting to figure them out, but then I got caught out in the wind and had to quit.
    Last edited by Dorf; 04-14-2020 at 01:07 AM.

Fished 4 rods on 4/12, and only ended up with 5. 4 hours of rods in water time. 4 in Merry's Bay. 1 in Canyon Creek. Good number of boats out and think I only saw one other fish boated. Didn't mark many schools either compared to few weeks back.

Default Weekend reports?

Anybody go this weekend? I got one report Friday of a half day trip with one fish in the boat, but not from a reliable source.

With water going out, only clue I have is last year the fish were on the ridges in fairly shallow water during similar releases. I didn't clue in to the water being let out last week and almost got skunked. If they are still releasing water I'd try in on shallower areas and not near the damn.

Rick

What's the largest kokanee cought in the dworshak? We caught a 16.5" koke yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by eschmit04 View Post
    What's the largest kokanee cought in the dworshak? We caught a 16.5" koke yesterday.
    That's bigger than I ever have seen or heard of out of Dworshak. One of the holdovers from last years breeders. No idea if anything bigger has been caught. I saw myself a 26 incher out of Cascade. Made me go back there a dozen times.... without any results worth mentioning.

Good catch! Musta been fun.

Rick

I've never seen on over 14" until yesterday. How do I post pictures?

Name:	41360.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	9946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41361.jpeg 
Views:	205 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	9947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200424_193021.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	9948
    Last edited by eschmit04; 04-25-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Damn. Hope you didn't catch all of those!

Default how many

Name:	41360.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	9946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41361.jpeg 
Views:	205 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	9947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200424_193021.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	9948
    did you only catch one?

Only one that size. Many others not as big.

Default General area?

Only one that size. Many others not as big.
    Man we only managed 4 on in a couple hours at freeman creek, didn’t have time to try anywhere else. All of them under 8” and none landed!

What general part of the lake did you find fish in?

Default No kokes but but the new boat floats

Went out Sunday and had a few hits, lost one at the boat. Trolled a couple hours near Dicks Cr. and Canyon Cr. Decided I needed to get some fish in the new (to me) boat so we went and caught some bass. Talked to three other boats that weren't having much luck either.

Travis

Default Sat, May 2nd

Went out Saturday. Launched at Freeman Cr. Fished Canyon area and picked up 10 in a couple hours. Headed up to Dent and picked up three (all close to 12") in about an hour. Not sure if we are figuring anything out...or just got a little luckier. Thinking about heading out again tomorrow...gotta take advantage of the social distancing while I can.

Good luck to all and look forward to seeing more reports on here. I'm in an 18 Red Lund with 75hp Yamaha tiller with a bow mount electric, if you see me feel free to say hi.

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by THouse View Post
    Went out Saturday. Launched at Freeman Cr. Fished Canyon area and picked up 10 in a couple hours. Headed up to Dent and picked up three (all close to 12") in about an hour. Not sure if we are figuring anything out...or just got a little luckier. Thinking about heading out again tomorrow...gotta take advantage of the social distancing while I can.

Good luck to all and look forward to seeing more reports on here. I'm in an 18 Red Lund with 75hp Yamaha tiller with a bow mount electric, if you see me feel free to say hi.

Travis
    Great to hear, I think I’m going to try again Saturday, forecast looks awesome! 16’ Hewes with a newish Honda 50 on the back and blue pinstripping. See you on the water!

How deep were you finding them? Any color preference you noted? Last year pink or red and white is all I could get them on!

Default crazcougg

Quote Originally Posted by crazcougg View Post
    Great to hear, I think I’m going to try again Saturday, forecast looks awesome! 16’ Hewes with a newish Honda 50 on the back and blue pinstripping. See you on the water!

How deep were you finding them? Any color preference you noted? Last year pink or red and white is all I could get them on!
    We were marking fish primarily 15-25 feet. Fishing traditional with 1 ounce at 70-90 feet and 2 ounce at 40-65 feet. Early gold gear with gold blade wedding ring was best. Later the slingblades with kokanuts outfished the trolling gear. Pinks and orange were the best lure colors, caught a few on a green/silver sling blade, we tipped with tuna and garlic corn.

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by THouse View Post
    We were marking fish primarily 15-25 feet. Fishing traditional with 1 ounce at 70-90 feet and 2 ounce at 40-65 feet. Early gold gear with gold blade wedding ring was best. Later the slingblades with kokanuts outfished the trolling gear. Pinks and orange were the best lure colors, caught a few on a green/silver sling blade, we tipped with tuna and garlic corn.

Travis
    Thanks for the info! Just looked at the forecast, pretty sure we’ll be up Saturday!

Default Mother's Day

Due to some dead batteries, we only fished Merry's Bay and by the marina. No electronics, etc. Just kicker. Managed one 8" in 3 hours.
    Sheriff's boat said up by Dent was the place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mack View Post
    Due to some dead batteries, we only fished Merry's Bay and by the marina. No electronics, etc. Just kicker. Managed one 8" in 3 hours.
    Sheriff's boat said up by Dent was the place to be.
    We fished elk river arm Saturday since it’s got some relatively flat shore for the kids right now, managed 4 out of 8 or 10 bites. Saw a report on Facebook from a guide that did much better upstream from the dent bridge. Hoping to try up there next weekend.

Default Sat, May 16th

My buddy and I went out Saturday. Launched at Freeman and fished near and in Canyon Creek . Started about 7:15am, two limits by 1:00pm. Slowed down the last hour and a half or so. Fish not real big, averaged about 9" with some 10" and a couple 11". Great day on the water.

Travis

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast