Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2020 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Great to see you too ricks. Was a great day on the water even if we are terrible Kokanee fishermen. Had a few on but lost them before getting them in the boat. Can I ask what you were using for gear?

Sands,

My list is long with lots of stuff. I have always said it takes as much gear to fish for Kokanee as it does to outfit a Japanese fishing trawler. If you are going to get addicted, start out by watching my bud Tyler's UTube videos. He is the real deal. Often gives class sessions at North40. But you can get everything he has on his videos. And while he does all his fishing from Kayaks, his methods work.

My own gear was a bunch of different color dodgers and blades on the downriggers, running where I mark fish on the finder. And then different kinds of trolls on the longlines. I usually find early in the day is brass or hammered nickel, then later I start getting brighter, chromey with pink, red oranges. I make, and or remake all my lures with Brads or Gamakatsu octopus hooks, The hooks get tired, I retie them with new hooks. I do not run a lot of weight, usually 1 ounce max on longlines and always on a slider. Also use rubber shock bungee in all the long lines. I don't on the downriggers because the terminal tackle is really light and the poles are light action as well. I run longlines out longer, never run under 100 foot out when using the gas powered trolling motor. This far back also allows the lighter weights to get deep enough. And I always run at least 4 lines, 2 downriggers and two or three longlines. Used to stack lines on downriggers but found that too much work.

With blades and dodgers the leader to the lure is 8-10 inches long. With different types of trolls on longlines I run between 14 and 20 inches behind. And I mostly always net my fish. Never been very successful with rigging dodgers on longlines. So stick with all sorts of different trolls, a lot of them I made over the years.

Rick
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

I think we can come close to sticking a fork in this season.

We put in at 7AM at Bruces. Ran to Reeds and tried up the creek a little, nothing but a couple little ones, so kept going to Grandad. Did not see a single boat the entire run. Lake all to ourselves for a couple hours. Lots of fish deep up past Grandad. We started near Crampton Cr. A little short of that off the north shore was some deep marks. Downriggers did well at 60-70ft. Only caught a few on longlines with 2 ounces and 80 feet of line.

Fish we caught are changing fast and losing fat rapidly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	late season koke.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	10027
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456