Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 117

Thread: 2020 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eschmit04 View Post
    Forgot to post fished Tuesday 66 in my boat with two bonus rainbows. Friend landed another 6, he got a late start.

    That's awesome. Care to share any secrets?

  2. #27

    Default

    No secrets. Running 4" Mack's dodgers. Or beer cans. 2oz at 25 feet on the front rods. 1oz at 30-40 feet on the back rods. Garlic salt corn worked good. And pink maggots.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks. Hopefully we will be trying again in the next few days. Were you near the dam?

  4. #29

    Default

    No I was in canyon creek

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Fished between Freeman and Canyon Creeks on Saturday. Caught 5 before 11, then only got one nibble the rest of the day. In the morning i caught them at 20ft down with pink wedding rings and spinners behind a silver/gold beercan and a silver arrowflash and crawfish corn. I tried everything for tackle once I stopped catching them.

    I know others were catching them reliably. I'm curious at what depth. The schools down at 40-60 ft had me questioning myself when I stopped catching them.

  6. #31

    Default

    Had an interesting experience yesterday. Went kokanee fishing with my buddy yesterday on his 21' custom weld. We used his kicker motor. Long story short, same location, same gear, using my rods and tackle. We only caught around 20. Fishing all day long. Is that really all come down to a kicker and being boat shy? I see a lot of other people not catch as much when I'm out and they are using kickers. My little 14 foot boat with electric always does well...
    Last edited by eschmit04; 03-23-2020 at 02:33 PM.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    7

    Default

    What speeds have people been trolling? Went out again and still no luck.

  8. #33

    Default

    .9 - 1.4mph personally.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    7

    Default

    The slowest we could go was around 1.3. Forgot to try lowering my trim tabs to see if that will slow us down. If not I will look at getting a different prop for our kicker.

  10. #35

    Default Trolling speeds

    Quote Originally Posted by Sands View Post
    The slowest we could go was around 1.3. Forgot to try lowering my trim tabs to see if that will slow us down. If not I will look at getting a different prop for our kicker.
    To check if troll is too fast see if inside rods, on moderate or gradual turns, produce strikes. Experiment and you'll get it dialed in!
    What size are they this spring?....with a genuine carpenters tape please lol
    Last edited by icelander; 03-25-2020 at 06:01 PM.

  11. #36

    Default

    We were out a month ago. Most of them were 9 inches, none bigger.

  12. #37

    Default Dworshak ramps

    Been seeing some rumors online that all ramps are closed at dworshak?? Can anyone confirm this?

  13. #38

    Default

    I'm curious if anyone thinks different parts of the lake or different schools carry larger or smaller fish? I've heard reports of people catching a larger class of fish than the 7-10 inchers I have been landing. Out of 190 fish this year my largest is 10.5 so far.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjim1992 View Post
    Been seeing some rumors online that all ramps are closed at dworshak?? Can anyone confirm this?
    Freeman Creek launch was open yesterday.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Grangeville, Idaho
    Posts
    136

    Default Rumors and virus closures?

    My wife mentioned that she heard that the Dworshak bathrooms were closed by Army Corps of Engineers. Anyone heard whether there are any ramp closures? Silly closing bathrooms. Makes the lake the nearest bowl and it has 483 miles of possible toilet ring.

    Rick
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,828

    Default

    I'm hearing that some lakes might have a launch open but once on the water, boaters are being approached by LEO and told to get off the water and go home.
    2003 Jetcraft SK2125, Yamaha 150, Yamaha T8, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I'm hearing that some lakes might have a launch open but once on the water, boaters are being approached by LEO and told to get off the water and go home.
    Notably, IDFG has not closed fishing or hunting seasons. I would think they'd be the final word; certainly on waters that are truly public (which I wouldn't consider Dworshak to be). In WA, fishing is closed statewide, which is where I'm guessing people have been approached by LEO's.

    Freeman Crk is a state park leased from the corps. IDPR has posted signs stating camping and bathrooms are closed, but that there is still the portable restroom available. I don't know about the ramps that are managed solely by the corps, I haven't been to them. Though, I would think that at the worst you might get some crap for fishing as a group.

    I'll be fishing myself, by myself, in any case.
    Last edited by Dorf; 03-28-2020 at 07:17 PM.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Grangeville, Idaho
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post

    I'll be fishing myself, by myself, in any case.
    Make sure you keep safe social distance from yerself.
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Make sure you keep safe social distance from yerself.
    I'll make sure my hands don't infect themselves.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Grangeville, Idaho
    Posts
    136

    Default USACE press release

    Wife found this. She wants to go fishing!


    20-016 Dworshak Dam postpones opening campgrounds
    Published March 24, 2020


    AHSAHKA, Idaho – U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Dworshak Dam Ranger staff announces that Dent Acres campground, as well as Canyon Creek and Dam View campgrounds will not open for the season in April as planned. Due to minimum staffing and for visitor safety during this COVID-19 outbreak, Dworshak staff has been directed to postpone opening the campgrounds until a later date. At this time, we cannot give a specific date when the campgrounds will open.

    Day use areas at boat ramps and trails will remain open, until further notice. Although these recreation opportunities allow for getting outside and enjoying the spring weather while “social distancing,” please keep in mind that other people are utilizing the trails also and give each other a wide berth.

    According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health the virus can live for up to 3 days on a plastic surface. We are advising parents to keep their children off playgrounds to prevent person to person transmission of COVID-19.

    For more information or questions, please call the Dworshak Dam Visitor Center at (208) 476-1255, although the Visitor Center is closed, we are happy to answer any questions by telephone. For updated water level and boat ramp information, call (800) 321-3198; and for regional reservoir, water level, and flow information, visit the Walla Walla District’s Web site at www.nww.usace.army.mil.


    Contact
    CENWW-PA
    509-527-7020
    cenww-pa@usace.army.mil
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

  21. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eschmit04 View Post
    Had an interesting experience yesterday. Went kokanee fishing with my buddy yesterday on his 21' custom weld. We used his kicker motor. Long story short, same location, same gear, using my rods and tackle. We only caught around 20. Fishing all day long. Is that really all come down to a kicker and being boat shy? I see a lot of other people not catch as much when I'm out and they are using kickers. My little 14 foot boat with electric always does well...
    I’m a huge fan of my bow mount electric over my gas kicker when fishing Kokanee. Dworshak Kokanee tend to run so shallow I believe it makes a difference. Last year I stopped taking the downriggers because we were consistently catching fish at 10-15’. I even caught a few flat lining a ford fender.

  22. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eschmit04 View Post
    I'm curious if anyone thinks different parts of the lake or different schools carry larger or smaller fish? I've heard reports of people catching a larger class of fish than the 7-10 inchers I have been landing. Out of 190 fish this year my largest is 10.5 so far.
    My personal experience is they are all the same size on that lake, regardless of where I fish. I’ve fished Mary’s bay to the end of the elk river arm In a day and seen the same size fish the entire day. Last year I caught my biggest, it was 14 or 16” on a tape. No one omg my group had ever seen one that size come out of there. Caught numerous 10” fish in the same school.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Does anyone have any input on if a guy could do ok in the Elk Crk/Cole Crk/Dent Acres area? I'm trying to nail down an area where I could be both close to decent fishing and dispersed camping on State or Potlatch. I'm going to check it out Friday, but if it's not worth my time it would be nice to know. With the kayak, once I pick a place for a day, I'm committed.

  24. #49

    Default

    Canyon creek has been good to me all month so far.

  25. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    Does anyone have any input on if a guy could do ok in the Elk Crk/Cole Crk/Dent Acres area? I'm trying to nail down an area where I could be both close to decent fishing and dispersed camping on State or Potlatch. I'm going to check it out Friday, but if it's not worth my time it would be nice to know. With the kayak, once I pick a place for a day, I'm committed.
    I’ve caught a lot of Kokanee straight out in front of the dent acres launch and all the way down that shore to the elk river arm in the summer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •