Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Dworshak Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Quote Originally Posted by THouse View Post
    My buddy and I went out Saturday. Launched at Freeman and fished near and in Canyon Creek . Started about 7:15am, two limits by 1:00pm. Slowed down the last hour and a half or so. Fish not real big, averaged about 9" with some 10" and a couple 11". Great day on the water.

Travis
    That's hopeful for a good season. Being upstream of Dent Bridge is too early for that to be the majority of the fish.Correct me if I'm wrong, as the reservoir fills between now and July fourth when the target is full pool. the fish should be 'grazing' on plankton build up in the deep richer end of lake, especially as the surface tempts start going up blooming the food source. They shouldn't be heading up lake until later in their cycle. ACoE last month dumping a lot of water messed that all up.
    Gray/White Bluewater - Stop and say howdy!

Default Elk Creek

My buddy and I went out Saturday. Launched at Freeman and fished near and in Canyon Creek . Started about 7:15am, two limits by 1:00pm. Slowed down the last hour and a half or so. Fish not real big, averaged about 9" with some 10" and a couple 11". Great day on the water.

Travis
    We fished last Friday; motored up to Elk Creek from Big Eddy; two of us got our limit Friday afternoon in approx. 4/41/2 hrs. all the fish were approx. 8 inches with a few approx 10 inches.
    not marking any schools?

Default Reply

Ricks: I believe you are right. I expect to find them fairly well scattered out from here on out, but from my experience I don't expect them to fully commit to pushing up reservoir for spawning until late July or so. We were marking many large schools down in the Canyon Creek area, mostly in 90 to 150 feet of water, most fish were in the 13 to 25 feet depth range. But we were also picking up fish where we weren't marking any schools. Going to try to get back out on the water this coming weekend.

Travis

Fishing was pretty good Saturday below Canyon Creek, with 2 limits. No special spots, fish were fairly scattered. Almost didn't seem worth it to circle back after we would hook up. Standard pop gear with rings and maggots.

I fished on Sunday at Indian/Canyon creek and it was good fishing there until 1230 then the bite went off; two of us ended up with 37. like you say they were scattered but not bad fishing.

Default Memorial Weekend

We fished Sunday around Cranberry Creek and did good fishing 15 to 20 feet deep. Ended up with all dodgers and either micro-hoochies or kokanuts. Monday didn't do nearly as well, cloudy and unsettled weather. On our way back to Freeman Creek Monday afternoon did well in the rain on gold dodger with pink micro-hoochie from Dicks Creek to Freeman. Most fish for the weekend were 8-9" with a handful 11-12".

Travis

Default Maiden voyage

Went out Tuesday to test out repaired 8 hp Merc on little 12'. Launched at Bruces Eddy around 10AM. Reservoir is almost filled! Marked lots of fish! CAught 2 right off the ramp & lost same at about 10 minutes in. Using sling blade & hoochie on one pole & beer cans on other. The sling blade was killer as was the Graybill Kokanee scent. Only fished for about 2 hours but brought home nice catch! Long lining 3 oz & 75'. Getting big boat ready now. Will be out next week. 1988 Blue Finn Sportsman 1950.

Default Nice Day!

Went out this morning. Dropped in at Bruces, ran up to Indian creek. Was a little slow out in the deep water, even though marking plenty of fish from 20-40 ft. So worked in along the banks and was hitting hard along the ridges and in the coves along the shore just to the west of Indian Crk. Was running a couple long lines at 100' and 1 ounce, brass in the morning while it was foggy and brighter stuff in the later morning when the sky cleared up. 2 downriggers with dodgers and hoochies. Best were orangie red. At times we would hook all four rods within a few minutes. Made the wife all tired out. No idea yet how many. 35-40. Lost count before pulling out at noon. Perfect day with just enough breeze to stay cool.

Also seemed the boats that were working what I call the Canyon Circus didn't stay there very long. They all seemed to come over to where we were or head up lake, but not close enough to shore to get the fish we were on. I bet the north west shore along the entrance to Elk River would have been great today.

Rick

Default Another day

Went out last Wednesday the 17th. Going again tomorrow the 23rd.

Wednesday was a lot of work. Fished the shoreline just west of Elk River . Lots of fish on Finder. Dropped long lines in with 1/2 ounce and started catching fish. Dropped a couple dodgers on the downriggers and for the next couple hours the downriggers got no bites at all and the longlines were just OK. Hard to leave an area marking a lot of fish and catching some to go to another area and hope to mark and catch fish, so we stayed. Late morning, the downriggers started hitting and the long lines stopped. I tried everything I could think of. Several other boats dropped by and we chatted, they were having the same kind of hit and then miss day. Last week I pulled out when we got tired of catching fish. This time we got bored and pulled out. 25 fish on the morning. See if tomorrow with an early start does better. Gonna be a warm day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starboard2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	9980

Default 6/22

I'm a newbie, fished from 7-1 today, first went to canyon creek, only landed 4. Seemed like other people were catching more, but it wasn't steady like it was a couple of weeks ago. Boats didn't seem to stay around canyon creek. Went exploring and ended up around Dick's creek and got 5 more.

Quote Originally Posted by rwlee47 View Post
    I'm a newbie, fished from 7-1 today, first went to canyon creek, only landed 4. Seemed like other people were catching more, but it wasn't steady like it was a couple of weeks ago. Boats didn't seem to stay around canyon creek. Went exploring and ended up around Dick's creek and got 5 more.
    Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. There are no hard and fast rules that will let you catch fish all the time and every trip. I've had trips, this year, where we caught just a couple. Big lake and a lot of good guesses to always find fish.

Yesterday went back to west side of Elk River. Half a dozen other boats joined me there. First time crowded there in years I been fishing that spot. We caught 30 fish on 4 hours. We'd hit hit hit and then nothing for most of an hour, then back to hitting. Same speeds 1.2 to 1.4, different colors and depths, nothing consistent at all. Day was getting hot then just before noon we started hitting again. Pulled up stakes and headed back though. High 80's and no wind is not all that much to write home about.

Default Any New Fishing Reports for Dworshak

all
    plan on doing some kokanee fishing on Thursday (31st); does anyone have some updated fishing reports?
    Thanks

Default Updates

Whatadeal-

I just spoke with a buddy who went out twice in the last week. He did pretty well near Dent Bridge and Freeman Creek both...better at Freeman. He said most of the fish were in about 60-100 feet of water and they were suspended at about 30 feet deep. They used a variety of lures/gear with nothing noticeably outperforming the rest. They were using four ounces with 35-45 feet of line. I haven't been out in a while but will be out this coming weekend and will report when I get back.

Travis

As I posted from last week, I went only as far as Elk River. I'd rather be fishing closer to the ramp than further away. I have a Honda outboard for trolling, so I have to set back 100-120 feet on long lines because of the noise, even though the Honda is relatively quiet. Can't wait for when I can afford a decent GPS electric on the bow. Then I can run shorter long lines. I didn't use more than one ounce of weight and usually less. Downriggers were between 25 and 45 feet deep. Sonar marked fish at those depths. Fished mostly fairly close to shore, just like THouse. Speeds 1.2 to 1.4. I doubt much has changed in the 5 days since.

Whatadeal-

I just spoke with a buddy who went out twice in the last week. He did pretty well near Dent Bridge and Freeman Creek both...better at Freeman. He said most of the fish were in about 60-100 feet of water and they were suspended at about 30 feet deep. They used a variety of lures/gear with nothing noticeably outperforming the rest. They were using four ounces with 35-45 feet of line. I haven't been out in a while but will be out this coming weekend and will report when I get back.

Travis
    thanks for the info; will give a update when I get back

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    As I posted from last week, I went only as far as Elk River. I'd rather be fishing closer to the ramp than further away. I have a Honda outboard for trolling, so I have to set back 100-120 feet on long lines because of the noise, even though the Honda is relatively quiet. Can't wait for when I can afford a decent GPS electric on the bow. Then I can run shorter long lines. I didn't use more than one ounce of weight and usually less. Downriggers were between 25 and 45 feet deep. Sonar marked fish at those depths. Fished mostly fairly close to shore, just like THouse. Speeds 1.2 to 1.4. I doubt much has changed in the 5 days since.
    thanks for the info; question; do you really think it would be wise to invest in a electric bow trolling motor?
    I have a yamaha; I think it is somewhat quite but I think at times the gas trolling motor spooks the fish; what is the best electric bow trolling motor?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whatadeal View Post
    thanks for the info; question; do you really think it would be wise to invest in a electric bow trolling motor?
    I have a yamaha; I think it is somewhat quite but I think at times the gas trolling motor spooks the fish; what is the best electric bow trolling motor?
    thanks
    Yes, kokanee definitely swim away from gas powered trolling motor noise. Cure is just run longer lines for the most part.

My issue with my gas outboard is with the small boat, any little wind or current change and I am immediately going in circles. It is really tough to pick a straight line in any direction with any wind at all except downwind. If I am busy with lines, I often get yelled at (by the big boss whom I am married to) that we are about to make a circle, or run into the shore, or another boat. Sometimes amusing, often very annoying. Takes constant steering attention if the wind is shifting at all.

A bow mounted GPS controlled electric trolling motor will resolve that, and be quieter as well. I run Lowrance for my sonar. As far as I know only MotorGuide will network to it. I am intending to install a 24 volt 80 lb thrust i5 Motorguide. Is it the best? - No way. You can spend 5 times more for some of the trolling motors out there. I'm sure some are better quality. For my little ski boat turned fishing barge, perfect. I figure $1800 for the motor and an additional $6-$700 for batteries, wiring and charge capabilities.

Once the fish are 35' - 40' deep, I don't believe that there is much concern about a kicker motor spooking fish but as ricks mentioned above, an electric provides a lot of other benefits that makes it worth having one. I have a Minn Kota Ulterra with auto deploy and stow, very sweet!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Once the fish are 35' - 40' deep, I don't believe that there is much concern about a kicker motor spooking fish but as ricks mentioned above, an electric provides a lot of other benefits that makes it worth having one. I have a Minn Kota Ulterra with auto deploy and stow, very sweet!

Just my two bits worth: According to today's Dworshak water temps the kokes will be living around 26' deep as it's about 54F at that depth (near the dam). They will leave that depth temporarily to feed on plankton, (usually shallower). We have a 15HP Evinrude and fish with 4-6 oz of lead right under or right behind the boat. This enables us to let out and land fish quickly. We know of downriggers too who really dial in with their lures just a few feet behind the clip.

We've found that our trolling motor noise doesn't spook them as we've watched them swim along with our attractor/lure and caught them right next to or right behind the boat when they're on or near the surface. Movement or other noise has spooked them though. Some of this may have to do with the electrical potential of the boat/trolling motor. If kokes are like their Sockeye cousins they like a higher potential.

SuperD does it have Auto Pilot/GPS Spotlock type capabilities and if so how does it work for you in the wind? Always wanted one so it's not so hectic! Would be way cool to know from anothers experience before laying out the dough!
    Last edited by icelander; 06-30-2020 at 11:21 AM.

I'd appreciate the thoughts as well. I've also had some tell me that you can run your gas powered to propel the boat and use the GPS electric on the bow to steer. Ever tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I'd appreciate the thoughts as well. I've also had some tell me that you can run your gas powered to propel the boat and use the GPS electric on the bow to steer. Ever tried that?
    Almost all my friends with a dual set up do exactly that. I think that the biggest advantage is extended trolling motor battery use. If one has the ability to recharge overnight, I don't see the point unless one gets into heavy winds or current. If it is calm out, running my kicker defeats the purpose of peace and quiet. The only noise that I hear is downrigger cable hum. BTW, an electric of appropriate power can handle the wind but it definitely has an effect on the batteries or a short day with the electric and switching to the kicker.

My Minn Kota has the auto pilot, spot lock, tracking and all the other bells and whistles. Auto pilot is a God send when setting out rods or netting fish.
    Last edited by SuperD; 06-30-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Almost all my friends with a dual set up do exactly that. I think that the biggest advantage is extended trolling motor battery use. If one has the ability to recharge overnight, I don't see the point unless one gets into heavy winds or current. If it is calm out, running my kicker defeats the purpose of peace and quiet. The only noise that I hear is downrigger cable hum. BTW, an electric of appropriate power can handle the wind but it definitely has an effect on the batteries or a short day with the electric and switching to the kicker.

My Minn Kota has the auto pilot, spot lock, tracking and all the other bells and whistles. Auto pilot is a God send when setting out rods or netting fish.
    That does it then, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by icelander View Post
    That does it then, thank you!
    Me too. Exactly the answer for the problem of tending the kicker.

Thanks SuperD. Good to hear other opinions before spending the dough.

Rick

Default Slow day

Fished today from about 7-2. Didn't see much catching, talked to people who said the bite was terrible. I ended up with 7 and there were people with fewer. Seemed to be steady bites for about the first half hour I fished, then it tapered to practically nothing. A lot of bites without hookup, most of the hookups were on a speed or direction change. Fished Canyon Creek, then Elk Creek and a little bit at Dick's Creek. I would have preferred not to fish so close to the weather changes, but wanted to avoid the 4th July weekend... Saw lots of RVs and boats incoming to Freeman Creek driving home on the road to Kendrick. Hopefully just one of those bad days, probably try again next week, weather forecast looks much more settled.

Put in a few hours each day last weekend between bass fishing. Ended with 22, few at Magnus, some right above Dent, and few outside Elk Creek. Never marked many fish. Haven't seen a "big" school on sonar in comparison to last year. They all were very spread out. No doubles or triples like we had back in May. Saw people fishing all the way up to Granddad.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast