Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Anderson Ranch Reservoir Kokanee Report

Quote Originally Posted by salmonster View Post
    If you read something on this forum that doesn't sound right, please check on it yourself. Based on what I read here last week I called the state police and the Boise National Forest and learned that what I read here was silly nonsense.
    Meaning what?

Quote Originally Posted by salmonster View Post
    If you read something on this forum that doesn't sound right, please check on it yourself. Based on what I read here last week I called the state police and the Boise National Forest and learned that what I read here was silly nonsense.
    What do you mean?

Default Idaho Fish and Game Social Distancing Guidelines

Here is a link to IDFG's common sense position on fishing under COVID-19.
    https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/hunting...vel-guidelines

Default Where to go?

I have never been to Anderson before, usually Kokanee fish at lucky peak. Can anyone help me with directions on where to launch the boat at and a portion of the lake that is decent to fish? I have heard stories of people getting into some shallow spots so making sure I avoid them. Any help would be great.

Hunting183-

Last summer I launched at the dam and Fall Creek. The dam ramp gets very busy and parking is a joke. My bow roller was stolen off the trailer while parked at Fall Creek. This spring I’ve been launching at Curlew. Out in front of Curlew is not very deep. But it can be fished. I head southwestish from Curlew. Have caught fish from Curlew to Fall Creek so far this year. Green or chartreuse seems to be working best for us. Running longline around 15’ and balls between 20’ and 30’. Look for all the other boats. It sucks but that’s typically where the fish are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunting183 View Post
    I have never been to Anderson before, usually Kokanee fish at lucky peak. Can anyone help me with directions on where to launch the boat at and a portion of the lake that is decent to fish? I have heard stories of people getting into some shallow spots so making sure I avoid them. Any help would be great.
    If you launch from curlew fish south from there and then there will be some narrows to the west. Next to the points and bank can get shallow. Fish more towards the middle your first time and look at your fish finder to see the depth. Keep fishing west to the power lines and fall creek. If you keep fishing west then you will get to the dam. It is a very long dad trolling from the dam to curlew. We usually launch from the dam. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgerHardgrove View Post
    Next to the points and bank can get shallow. Fish more towards the middle your first time and look at your fish finder to see the depth.
    Great suggestion! I finally have a sonar with contour depths on the chart. It’s helped tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyjohns View Post
    Great suggestion! I finally have a sonar with contour depths on the chart. It’s helped tremendously.

went yesterday - caught a couple - bite was over by 11am - over 50 boats on water ( social distancing)

Fished a few hours Thursday evening and caught one koke. Fished all day Friday and landed 8 kokes, 1 trout, and 1 bull trout. All fish were caught in the top 20 ft of water and color didnt seem to matter. Lots of boats on the water Friday!

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

First time out on Saturday specifically attempting to target kokanee. Lets just say Amateur Hour should be the name of our boat. We did manage to get three in the boat and lost two. Little did we know that 2.0-2.5 is a bit too fast after we meet a fellow angler who gave us a ton of info. Guess we caught the ones practicing for the Olympics.

Default Idaho Covid 19

I have seen some post on Covid 19 and fishing. When the Governor first signed "Stay at Home" and US Forest, Bureau of Reclamation said that camp grounds, and boat ramps were to be closed. I made a phone call to Idaho Parks and Rec. asked if they were closing Spring Shores. They said some state parks were closed but no boat ramps were going to be closed. I also Checked Idaho F&G and all fishing and hunting is still open. So any State, county, city police cannot stop you from fishing, and or traveling. I went tp springs shores this week and did see that someone has closed the road to Turners launch. But this is the Idaho F&G response Hunting and Fishing.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/hunting...vel-guidelines

Default Not all fishing is open

Idaho has not closed any seasons, however they have suspended the sale of non-Resident fishing licenses. I believe the justification is that it is consistent with the guidelines that you should not travel long distances for recreation. Not sure how far is too far. An hour? Two hours? Does not matter if you cannot buy a license. For now I will stay close to home in NW Wyoming and hope things get better. I keep telling myself it gives the fish time to get bigger!

Default Spoons

Casting a 1/2 ounce Chartreuse spoon with pink dots was my go to lure Thursday evening. Kokanee wouldn’t leave it alone once they began surfacing in the Curlew area. Largest Kokanee was 18 1/2 inches. Bite lasted 45 minutes. Anyone else having success with spoons?

Quote Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
    Casting a 1/2 ounce Chartreuse spoon with pink dots was my go to lure Thursday evening. Kokanee wouldn’t leave it alone once they began surfacing in the Curlew area. Largest Kokanee was 18 1/2 inches. Bite lasted 45 minutes. Anyone else having success with spoons?
    I used to have great success in some of the central Oregon lakes casting a jig behind the boat and jigging it horizontally while trolling. That has yet to work for me here.

Default Boat dock information

We are going to try to head up to Anderson on Monday for the day. Does anyone know if any of the boat docks are open? And if so are any out?

Was up there a week ago. Dock is out at Curlew. However water level was quite a ways below that dock. Reservoir level has not come up much since then:

https://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/wyg...daily=and%20af

Default Thank you

Thanks for the information. Not sure if we'll head up that way or not, but if we do I'll try to update.

Quote Originally Posted by Narnz27 View Post
    Thanks for the information. Not sure if we'll head up that way or not, but if we do I'll try to update.
    04-18-2020 We were there for 1/2 the day along with everyone else who wasn’t at CJ Strike :). There was only about 5ft of the dock in the water. It wasn’t quite usable yet.

Default Anderson Ranch fishing

Went to Anderson yesterday and the kokanee fishing was terrible. We used 2 long lines and 2 downriggers with all kinds of color combinations you could think of and not a bite. The water level is very low. We were able to launch our boat from Curlew with little to no dock in the water. With that said the weather was gorgeous and the scenery was beautiful as usual.

Default One Saturday

Fished on staurday from 830 to 4 for one king. Only saw two other fish caught.

Thanks for the reports guys!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Default Anderson Ranch Report May 7-8, 2020

Trolled for koks thursday afternoon and friday morning...one 12" kok only fish caught at 35ft...tried shallow with lead line/highlines and deep with downriggers...did mark a few fish mostly deep 35-50ft which is unusual for this time of year, water temp 56F. Did not see any large schools unlike past years...where have all the koks gone? BTW restroom are locked.

Quote Originally Posted by trmaret View Post
    Trolled for koks thursday afternoon and friday morning...one 12" kok only fish caught at 35ft...tried shallow with lead line/highlines and deep with downriggers...did mark a few fish mostly deep 35-50ft which is unusual for this time of year, water temp 56F. Did not see any large schools unlike past years...where have all the koks gone? BTW restroom are locked.
    We were there a week ago. Marked lots of fish, but all spread out. No schools. And they wernt biting. We went home skunked for the first time at Anderson in 10 years
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    We were there a week ago. Marked lots of fish, but all spread out. No schools. And they wernt biting. We went home skunked for the first time at Anderson in 10 years
    any thing happening at Anderson this weekend ? last time i went it was a bust Sounds like LP might be picking up a little

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast