Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Anderson Ranch Reservoir Kokanee Report

Default dead fish in arrowrock

Quote Originally Posted by MaGoo View Post
    I fished Arrowrock twice early spring. When I was loading the boat one of the times I saw a very large number of dead fish. They had been dead for some time, could not identify them. Now I wonder if they have a large kill. Did it go through all three reservoirs. Did anyone see the dead fish.
    fished arrowrock this spring and also saw many 16" rainbows dead on the boat ramp. Fished down by the southfork and trolled all the way back didn't see fish on the finder and only caught 1 16" trout, very slow.

Haven't seen the dead fish being talked about here. Last time I fished Arrowrock was 3-4 weeks ago. We got 3 small kokes and loads of trout. Many of the trout were 15-16 inches with full tails.

Default Dead Slow at Arrowrock as well

I fished yesterday, 6/22 at Arrowrock, launched at 6:15 am fished all the places I have caught kok for years and seen very few on the finder, fished all day at different depths but mostly targeted the 25 to 35 foot levels, caught 4 planter bows, no squaws and no kok's, did not see any schools either, tried all different colors, scents, speeds, leader lengths, depths, everything I could think of doing to entice a bite and again I was served a big helping of humble pie, just like Anderson Ranch, I wish all you kok hunters the best of luck, we are going to need it this year.

Default SouthWest Kokanee is in a Terrible Mess

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Southwest Idaho Kokanee fishing is in crisis. What the heck is going on Idaho Fish and Game???? You've been FAR too silent for FAR too long!!! Time to spill your guts...... but this time, make it the truth...the whole truth....and nothing but the truth.

Pauli
    . I agree with Pauli, SouthWest Kokanee fishing is in a horrible mess. I camp at Running Bear RV Resort at the back end of little Camus, I have fished Anderson 6 times and NO jokes, nothing! Talked to Chris at Kokanee Store and he blames to many predators in the lake, fingering don’t have a chance. Some say the blowout above the river a few yrs ago is the big reason! It’s hard to believe what is actually happening. The problem is LP & Arrowrock are in similar shape!! Not enough plankton ? Is It food related? So what gives with F&G planting 4inch fingerlings in CJ?? & Cascade? Talk about predators !! Why didn’t they put them in one if local lakes..Anderson, LP, Arrowrock ? I think F&G needs to give us the real story on what’s going on. Why are they so silent? Many (most) of us have thousands of dollars invested in boats & gear, and support local tackle shops. We need to hear what’s going on!!

Default Anderson

I wonder if having a 25 fish limit and a 3 day possession limit with 30 plus boats fishing everyday last year could have maybe had a impact on fish numbers
    Just maybe they should have looked at anderson and not Deadwood for limit reductions--Manage and destroy--

Default Fish and game

I have heard that f&g sterilizes the kokanee that they plant so that they can control the numbers in the lakes and how is that going, why don't they let the fish spawn naturally and control the numbers by limits but then they couldn't be managing just like they do on the deer and elk those numbers are down too.

Default 25 fish limit

Quote Originally Posted by rem40xb1 View Post
    I wonder if having a 25 fish limit and a 3 day possession limit with 30 plus boats fishing everyday last year could have maybe had a impact on fish numbers
    Just maybe they should have looked at anderson and not Deadwood for limit reductions--Manage and destroy--
    I do not beleive that the 25 per day limit has anything to do with why there are no fish in the lake today as the mature fish we catch this year or any year are going to die no matter what, thus the reason the limits are what they are, the fish are going to die like all salmon do after their life cycle is complete so they may as well be harvested and it is my understanding from a conversation that I had with a conservation officer on the ramp one day that 98 % of the fingerlings that get planted each year come from stocking programs and are not natural spawners so taking a lot of mature fish should not harm fishing for the coming years, however, when people can't catch mature fish they will take the 10,12,13 inch fish that are supposed to be next years crop, that is not good, they are usually released by most seasoned kok fisherman

Kokanee are highly susceptible to bacterial loss and because of their shoaling nature they could pass a viral or bacterial infection very easily. We are seeing Kokanee fishing with highly diminished numbers across southern Idaho with no water body left unscathed. This tells me we may have a problem in the hatcheries. I would request the F&G do a biological study of the hatchery fish that were shipped from the same hatcheries out of state to see if they are finding similar problems with whole year classes literally decimated by 80 to 90% as first year class fish.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Good Outfit View Post
    I do not beleive that the 25 per day limit has anything to do with why there are no fish in the lake today as the mature fish we catch this year or any year are going to die no matter what, thus the reason the limits are what they are, the fish are going to die like all salmon do after their life cycle is complete so they may as well be harvested and it is my understanding from a conversation that I had with a conservation officer on the ramp one day that 98 % of the fingerlings that get planted each year come from stocking programs and are not natural spawners so taking a lot of mature fish should not harm fishing for the coming years, however, when people can't catch mature fish they will take the 10,12,13 inch fish that are supposed to be next years crop, that is not good, they are usually released by most seasoned kok fisherman

I agree 100% I keep nothing under 14 in. Last trip i released 9 koks 12- 13 in at LP Next year they will be the 15-17 in fish But what do I know Iv'e only been at it for 45 years since they started the program at Anderson Since i started fishing KOKs the biggest fish have been in the last 4 or 5 years SO guys catch and release on the small ones Gently

Default 4th of July weekend!!!

Fished Friday and caught a 22" Chinook (only bite and only fish). Saturday caught one 19" Koke (only bite and only fish). Sunday same thing, one 20" Koke and that was it. I have fished for years and never seen the fishing this slow. I threw everything I had at them, marked them on the fish finder but nothing. One fish on orange squid with watermelon dodger, the Kokes were on wedding rings with watermelon dodgers. Everything I seen on the radar that was anywhere from 20' to 40'. We caught at 32',38' and 40'. Good luck to everyone.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fish.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	9985

Default Catch and release

Quote Originally Posted by G3 longliner View Post
    I agree 100% I keep nothing under 14 in. Last trip i released 9 koks 12- 13 in at LP Next year they will be the 15-17 in fish But what do I know Iv'e only been at it for 45 years since they started the program at Anderson Since i started fishing KOKs the biggest fish have been in the last 4 or 5 years SO guys catch and release on the small ones Gently
    I am new to the Kokanee fishing but I have read quite a bit regarding the catch and release of Kokanee. My understanding is that the mortality rate for handled and released fish is very high and a lot of folks say to keep them because theywill most likely die. Evidently the air bladder makes it difficult for them to get back down to the cool water after they are brougt to the surface warm water. Thoughts?

Default Kokanee article from IFG

This is what IFG is putting out..... It's kinda like asking Mrs. Lincoln if she still enjoyed the play anyways........

Pauli

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/kokanee...heres-where-go

Idaho F&G doesn’t care enough about fishing to properly manage any fishery in the state. There’s not enough money to be made in it for them.

Default Right On

Quote Originally Posted by dustyjohns View Post
    Idaho F&G doesn’t care enough about fishing to properly manage any fishery in the state. There’s not enough money to be made in it for them.
    Well said my fellow Kok hunter, you hit the nail Right On the head.

Default Where did the fish go?

Trolled yesterday from 2pm-10pm and not one kokanee, this is getting so frustrating. We boated 3 chinook (12, 15, 18 inch) and two small trout, trout we caught on the long line on top in the evening. Not seeing any schools, and very few fish on the finder. We fished allot of the spots we normally catch from the dam to Fall Cr. Just seeing schools or fish would keep me motivated but I cant see going out many more times with these conditions.

Headed up tomorrow and was really hoping to read something miraculous happened the past few days. My son and I volunteered to take a couple Veterans fishing as part of the Idaho Backcountry Vets tournament. Even if we don’t boat any fish, I’m sure we’ll have a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    May this years fishing reports be as promising as last year. Good Luck to all at "The Ranch".
    ANY koks being caught at Anderson? thinking of making a trip BUTTT???

Last report I seen was the IBV tournament a few weeks ago. Those guys did ok, I wasn't there this year but looked like a good amount of boats caught a few fish.

Default Saturday 7/25

Slept in on Saturday morning and hit the water at 11:30 and fished til 4. Landed 8 Kokanee and a chinook. 57’ and 42’ were the ticket. No specific color was better than another but they are definitely aggressive fish right now! Had one hit that made it look like a snag.

Tried to make a run this evening, made it on the water about 5pm and got blown off the water about 6pm. I did have enough time to get the rods in the water and get two hits, starting to see schools in the 30-40ft range. Storm came in hard and fast and I had to bail with the rest of the boats.

Quote Originally Posted by JagerR View Post
    Tried to make a run this evening, made it on the water about 5pm and got blown off the water about 6pm. I did have enough time to get the rods in the water and get two hits, starting to see schools in the 30-40ft range. Storm came in hard and fast and I had to bail with the rest of the boats.
    Anderson yesterday 7-1pm - 4 hits - boated two - one 16 and a dink - slow slow - water 72 degrees- all hits at 45 ft - dam boat dock just about out of water

Default Anderson Ranch

Fished from 08:30 am to 4:00 pm on July 30. . Caught 2 at noon and two additional at 3:00 pm. Caught the first two on black and silver and the second pair on red. Most of the fish on the finder were between 30 and 50 feet. Fish we caught were in the narrows south of Curlew. All four were between 17 and 18 inches. Very nice fish.

I also fished the 30th from 5pm to dark. Boated two chinook, one Squaw, and a trout. Didn't see any schools or many fish on the finder.

Drove by today and the dock by the dam is now out of the water.

So you got any ideas, where 150,000 koks went after stocking them last mouth?
    I've fished Anderson ranch sense 1975, and have never seen it like this. Gene in M.H. ID.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast