Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Arrow Rock Reservoir Kokanee Report

Default 2020 Arrow Rock Reservoir Kokanee Report

May the road up to the lake be smooth and limits plentiful this year. Good luck to all.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default The Road to Arrowrock

The wife and I took the pups up to Arrowrock to check out the reservoir, and the infamous road leading up to the boat launch. The good news is that the water level on the reservoir is pretty full. I'd say about 10 to 15 feet from the high water mark. They obviously are not letting water flow out of Arrowrock into Lucky Peak ..... you can literally wade across the "stream" at the base of the dam (on the Lucky Peak side) without getting your knees wet. Lucky Peak, by the way, is very very low. I saw only one boat on the reservoir, near the dam, (nice aluminum boat about 18 feet long with a black top).... and there were a few "Bankies" fishing from Turner's Gulch.

The bad news is the road...... it's just a smidgen better than HORRIBLE. While there were pretty bad stretches of potholes along the entire road, the section as you pass by Arrowrock dam is probably the worst part. Lots and lots of potholes. And as a bonus, there are rocks and gravel sliding off the rock face on the north side of the road. Because it's only one lane there you are forced to drive right through the ruts and potholes. In a few places, you have to drive closer to the guardrail to avoid the rocks piled up from the slides. I'm not even thinking of dragging my boat through there until a grader goes through and fills in the potholes. I was quite surprised to see that there was a Bankie over near the boat launch who somehow pulled his travel trailer through that mess and parked it on the beach. Nice setup for bank fishing.....but damn.... !!! Also, there were a dozen or more of trucks parked along the side of the road. Most of them had trailers behind them....like they were puling 4 wheelers into the hills. I didn't see any 4 wheelers around..... is there hunting open up there??? Maybe a late Bow season???

Anyone know who usually maintains the road? Anyone we can call??? I'm getting the itch. Oh, by the way, I saw ice on the Morris Creek section of Lucky Peak, and maybe a some out in front of Spring Shores....but it was kind of hard to tell if it was ice or wind action on the top of the water. I didn't see any ice at all on Arrowrock.

Pauli

Default fished 2/3/20

fished out on arrowrock for about 3 hours on the third, debris everywhere on the water, caught a few trout, but no kokes.
    i will agree with the road being miserable, but as long as you take it slow... on second thought, not worth it.
    but i will say, if we can just leave the road like that, imagine all the people it will keep from going there no completely apposed to that idea... haha
    tight lines!

Default Are Any Dock In Athens Water At The Marina

Quote Originally Posted by joshjohnson12389 View Post
    fished out on arrowrock for about 3 hours on the third, debris everywhere on the water, caught a few trout, but no kokes.
    i will agree with the road being miserable, but as long as you take it slow... on second thought, not worth it.
    but i will say, if we can just leave the road like that, imagine all the people it will keep from going there no completely apposed to that idea... haha
    tight lines!
    And are the docks in the water at other launches yet?

Default Not the last time...

The last time I was out there, they were not. Have not been up there for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DEALMKR View Post
    And are the docks in the water at other launches yet?
    arrowrock has never had a dock at the launch
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Default Heading to Arrowrock Tomorrow

Any news on the road.....any Kokes showing yet?

Pauli

Went half day Saturday morning and half day Wednesday afternoon. Tried lots of different combinations at random depths caught and released many trout. Big zero on he salmon. The road was great on Saturday (newly graded) Wednesday wasn’t bad but a few washboard areas. Water temp was 39-40 , Hope is they turn on soon.

any reports on Arrowrock? Anderson and LP are dead Caught 5 trout at LP Monday Two reports from Anderson where bust

Fished yesterday from 0830 to 1300. Caught 5 nice trout and two pikeminnow. 2 downrigger rods a one longline. Never could find the kokes. Road is getting bad and a ton of traffic.

headed up tomorrow and was wondering what depth people are fishing at?

We got all our bites right up in the top 10 feet at Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Spit the Hook View Post
    We got all our bites right up in the top 10 feet at Anderson.
    It's nice to see some bites reported out of Anderson. Would be nice to have the docks in the water as well!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Default arrowrock

Has anybody fished arrowrock lately? I am thinking of heading up Saturday to give it a shot, get the pregnant wife out a bit. Any reports or ideas would be great.
    Thanks

I haven't been fishing there yet this season....but will probably head up tomorrow morning if the wind dies down and the it's not too cold. The fishing doesn't seem too hot lately....I was thinking that maybe this would be the year that the Kokes return in good numbers. Doesn't look too good lately. I'll post a report tomorrow if I go.

Pauli

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    I haven't been fishing there yet this season....but will probably head up tomorrow morning if the wind dies down and the it's not too cold. The fishing doesn't seem too hot lately....I was thinking that maybe this would be the year that the Kokes return in good numbers. Doesn't look too good lately. I'll post a report tomorrow if I go.

Pauli
    Good luck if you make it out today!! Keeping my fingers crossed

Sorry Davet..... I didn't make it out today..... I'll go sometime next week.

Pauli

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli View Post
    Sorry Davet..... I didn't make it out today..... I'll go sometime next week.

Pauli
    Bummer you could not make it out, we are shooting for tomorrow morning. Let you know how it goes.

Fished sat 5/9 from 9-12:30, lots of people at arrow rock. Caught 5 trout 1 Kokanee. Kokanee was at the south fork long line orange dodger. Could not find any other Kokanee, no major school on the depth finder. Tried most colors and depths down to 35 ft.

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by davet View Post
    Fished sat 5/9 from 9-12:30, lots of people at arrow rock. Caught 5 trout 1 Kokanee. Kokanee was at the south fork long line orange dodger. Could not find any other Kokanee, no major school on the depth finder. Tried most colors and depths down to 35 ft.
    Thank davet for your report.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

I fished Arrowrock this morning from 0800-1030...... I didn't get one bite. Very slow for me. But there were plenty of other boats out there. I met a new member from this forum named "Idahoan". Welcome to the site. Hope you had better luck than me today.

Pauli

I hit Arrowrock at daybreak today. It was the perfect day on the lake.....rain and thunderstorms were forecasted, but it didn't rain or blow at all. I shared the entire reservoir with someone in a kayak. The water was like glass all morning. Fishing was great.... if you are into trout. I caught a half dozen trout and only one small Koke. The trout were very nice, and two of them cut very red. I'd say they averaged about 15 inches. The solo Koke was only about 12 inches long. Tried all different colors and depths..... even sent the down rigger to 60 feet, but no takers. I finally settled on chartreuse wedding rings and emerald/silver flashers. That combo produced the Koke. Vast majority of the marks were at about 60 feet. I had a TON of "drive by" hits....but most did not stick.

I talked with a fellow who said he is new to this site who was launching as I was leaving. Dave?? I think. Nice guy. Hope he did better than me with the Kokes.

Pauli

Fished on Sunday. The main point was to try out the new garmin autopilot for the 15hp kicker. It worked like a dream. Being able to do whatever you want and not worry about steering is well worth the $1400.

We didn't get a bite until we found the fish around 1230. Unfortunately we had to get out of there by 2pm. But we did get 3 fatty 18+" kokes and 4 decent trout in that 1.5 hours. I wish we would have found the fish at 8am we probably would have gotten double digits. All bites were at 30 feet. Pink was the ticket
    Last edited by terek; 06-02-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Put the top up and hit the water at 6:00 am Saturday before the wind and rain hit. Trolled until 2:30 caught and released many trout! Action was steady thru out the day with only one 12" kokanee. I had the whole lake to my self and the low clouds around the mountains were spectacular! Kept 2 nice trout and the Koke for the smoker. Pink and orange were the best as usual. I tried depths down to 40' but 20-30 was the best. I really thought I would sneak out and find them but I was served another helping of Humble Pie.

Default F&G and Payette Lake Trout

I just read on another fishing forum opposing the F&G gill netting and removing Lake Trout in Payette Lake. The F&G reason is to bring back the Kokanee fishery. Idaho Kokanee fisherman is growing every year. I would think Idaho has ten kokanee fisherman to one trophy lake trout fisherman. Deadwood can only give up so many eggs per year. What happens if something go wrong at Deadwood. At one time Payette was self supporting of Kokanee. F&G has as I can see has not planted any Kokanee since 2014 in Payette. The Lake Trout more in numbers and are getting smaller. They can live up to 40 years. But they have eaten all the Kokanee. The old rule more fish the smaller, the less fish the larger. So Lake Trout are getting smaller and no kokanee to eat. I think any lake in the state that can support the spawning of Kokanee should be protected. The fires a few years ago destroyed spawning in Anderson tributaries. As I understand it is coming back now.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/payette...20young%20fish.

Lake Trout make good cat food.
    17' Invader White center console (Boston Whaler clone) with 90 hp Mercury and Merc kicker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast