Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Arrow Rock Reservoir Kokanee Report

Well MaGoo, this is a great topic and something we, as a group, should get involved in. My problem is ignorance, a common affliction these days. Even after reading the linked article by Roger Phillips there, I didn't get a sense of a clear path forward. As I said, my issue is ignorance. Does anyone else on the Forum have experience or insight as to how we Kokaholics should weigh in? I mean has anyone seen this problem worked out before in other states, or read about this elsewhere? One issue hinted at by Phillips is stocking more Kokanee into Payette at the expense of stocking amounts for other Kokanee waters. This sounds a little ominous - we know we have had lower than desirable stock out of Deadwood for the statewide Kokanee program recently. It would be great if we in the Forum could kick this around intelligently and come up with our arguments to push F&G on. I mean it is easy to say, "kill the lake trout because I like Kokanee more"; but it would be great to come up with some scientifically (environmentally) sound basis to our arguments. THANKS.

MaGoo - I forgot to ask: What forum did you read about opposition to the gill netting? THANKS

Default Payette

Quote Originally Posted by pollackoke View Post
    MaGoo - I forgot to ask: What forum did you read about opposition to the gill netting? THANKS
    It was on BigFish site. It sounds like the F&G have the lake trout under control in PendOrelle, along having a good Kokanee fishing. But I think Priest lake is also having big issues with lake trout and koks. I don't know if they are using the poor late run Koks up north. Just hope they never plant late run in the southern part of the state. In my option I would like to see the lake trout reduced to a point that Payette koks could support a good fishery. The way it was 20 years ago. Taking fish that come from Deadwood, is not the answer. However I think the ones F&G put in CJ would have been better placed in the Stanley basin, Warm lake, or even Payette to feed the lake trout. I will be surprised if 1000 koks are caught in CJ.
    17' Invader White center console (Boston Whaler clone) with 90 hp Mercury and Merc kicker.

Just wondering, why don't you think more than 1000 kokes will be caught in CJ? Is there something different there than Arrowrock or Lucky Peak?

Quote Originally Posted by Spit the Hook View Post
    Just wondering, why don't you think more than 1000 kokes will be caught in CJ? Is there something different there than Arrowrock or Lucky Peak?
    The water is warmer to start with, second a lot of predator fish, and they planted 3" fish. As F&G have found the 3" fish survival rate is very poor, even in colder water. They had to free up space at Mackey hatchery to let the fish remaining reach 4".
    17' Invader White center console (Boston Whaler clone) with 90 hp Mercury and Merc kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Spit the Hook View Post
    For one, the water temp gets up to 80* in the summer. And two, 90% of that lake is only 25-30 feet deep. Its just not a good habitat for kokes. I bet 95% of the stocked ones get eaten, or die by 2021
    It was a waist of stockers. They should have dumped them into anderson. Especially since they admitted that the wiers they had in the creek in 2016 and 2017 didn't allow any fish to spawn. Thsts why anderson sucks this year. There are no fish. No spawn, and several years of mass people pulling 40-50 fish out of it every day
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    For one, the water temp gets up to 80* in the summer. And two, 90% of that lake is only 25-30 feet deep. Its just not a good habitat for kokes. I bet 95% of the stocked ones get eaten, or die by 2021
    It was a waist of stockers. They should have dumped them into anderson. Especially since they admitted that the wiers they had in the creek in 2016 and 2017 didn't allow any fish to spawn. Thsts why anderson sucks this year. There are no fish. No spawn, and several years of mass people pulling 40-50 fish out of it every day
    Very on point Terek..

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    Nope 99 % will get eaten, F&G plant 6" rainbow and they have very low survival rate. The big rainbows eat the 6" plants. I would be very surprised if 20 % of the 3" koks are still in the lake. Any place that holds koks would be better than C.J.

Default Slow Slow Slow

I spent about 4 hours trolling Arrow Rock Res this morning. Had only 2 bites....one of which ended up being a pike minnow. Tried all the popular colors, Shoepeg and Big Gulp maggots, at 15 - 50 feet. Marked a few at around 40 feet...
    I doubt if the marks were Kokes, probably Rainbows or pike minnows. What a sad state of affairs our reservoirs are in.

Pauli

Default Yesterday's report

Hey all,

Thought I'd finally post here, since I've been reading this forum for a few years but never registered until recently.

My buddy and I fished the reservoir yesterday, got in the water just before 7AM, headed over and trolled most of the day, we packed up and drove out around 6:30PM.

The day was slow and we used almost everything we had in our tackle boxes, but at least it was sunny and wind wasn't bad. Not a ton of fish on the finder, but we managed to pull up a bunch of rainbows (kept two @ 16") as well as a bunch of pike minnows and one bull trout around 10" (yep, we threw him back).

Pink and green were the colors that worked best, but managed to catch a few on a brown crappie crawdad lure (like I said, we had plenty of time to try everything we thought might get a hit). Most of the 'bows were planters around 8-12" size, we let them go too.

Unsurprisingly, not even one koke was seen yesterday. We caught a couple of them about 3 weeks ago, but they were small and went back in the water, this trip yielded nothing at all.

Will probably try again in a couple weeks, weather depending...

Thanks for the report! The bank guys are saying the fishing has been slow as well.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Default Arrowrock Road - bad, very bad

Drove up past the south fork area yesterday. Potholes are very deep and numerous, especially near the dam. But really there are bad stretches all along the road to the USFS outhouse and boat launch. Beautiful day though. If you have a small boat and willing to go reeeallllly slow, you could do it. Saw a guy come kayaking out of the South Fork - he had to have some big stones (good ballast though).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12