Thread: New for 2020?

Default New for 2020?

It’s winter and a month into the new year. Anyone made anything worth showing yet? I’ll start with a few teasers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	990C00F0-94CA-4DD3-A887-B6E8C9083B03.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	9864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6820C467-BF48-4363-B970-93BABEFDEF0A.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	9865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E646E9FC-73F7-489C-A6CF-DDE96F264CFC.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	9866  
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I am not sure that they will work but the blades work cut the line

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200201_145920.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	9870 it

Name:	20200201_145515.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	9869  

Did you wrap the wire around the hook eye? We know those blades work great!

I used small crimps, the wire is just soft single strand wire. The blades rock but I couldn't keep them from cutting the line.

Were they daughter approved? Hahaha

Yes, she says the purple one will knock them dead.
    Last edited by nofish; 02-02-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    It’s winter and a month into the new year. Anyone made anything worth showing yet? I’ll start with a few teasers.
    oh ya my time of year to experiment. Go to YOU TUBE hit( search l)ook up tube flys crappie flys, they will give you hundreds of ideas. I watch it's like going to fly tying school. I've been working on my trailing hooks the one you put your corn on. Just food for thought you be glad you did

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    I've been working on my trailing hooks the one you put your corn on. Just food for thought you be glad you did
    When you catch as many fish as nofish and I do, it's all about ease of release. hahaha. At Flaming Gorge, trailing hooks only last about one or two fish anyways before they get broke off.

That's a little confusing to myself. One or two fish on trailing hooks before they break off (hooks). We all fish different as long as the main results are fish in the box. I fish tube flys with 12# flor Pline never had a trailing hook break yet. Good luck tight lined.

I think it has to do with the size of the fish at the Gorge. I run10 too 15 pound leader and the back hook just won't last. I upsize the hook and don't miss many fish.

I wish I had that problem. I use 12# Pline flor on my leader 8 to 10 inches on a wobbler. Spinner 24 inches. Large hooks 4 . We had one lake up here Wickiup that had extremely large kokes.17 to 21 inch some bigger some smaller. Mike Hall from up your way hit it on the head. I pick up in one of his video. There jaws are under developed and soft. The hooks were pulling out not coming unhooked. I use custom rods 5 weight fly rod blanks made by wraptor rods. I added a snubber. Then I heard oh I use this rod or this rod. Running 85 to 110 ft back was loosing too many fsh. I added the snubber was like I added super glue. That me. The fish are ripping off. Them larger fish made for a different challenge. One guy at Odell came up with he called a mysis shrimp it is micro in size . A small O or OO size blade in front some Glow beads. It was a killer. So slot of us reatandlly down sized are baits. ( Kokanee Kid). I fully under stand every lake fishes different.

Anyone else trying the shrimp craze thing?

Name:	211F5185-9705-4CA0-89A8-099500E52ED5.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	9880  

Default Shrimp

I was thinking about using some pieces of shrimp instead of corn with scent. Anybody tried that? Did it work? Shrimp and krill scent from Pro-cure seems to work well, so I am thinking I might try actual pieces of shrimp. Thoughts?

We used to catch Kokes at the Gorge with little pieces of sponge soaked in scent. Truth be told, I don’t think that Kokes are all that bright. Shrimp would surely work but an expensive way to deliver the Pro Cure scent.

Default Shrimp

I was thinking about a bag of frozen shrimp and just putting on a small piece. It might stay on better than corn and maybe even get more than one fish.

I think shrimp is as good of a possibility as any. I would opt to purchase the can shrimp since its sealed within its own juices and smaller pieces. There would be enough there to create a couple of recipes to try using dyes and some different flavors of pro-cure. Since Utah now has legalized the use of corn thru out the states waters I now have a couple of recipes that has work catching kokes. I'm willing to give the shrimp a try too.
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    I was thinking about using some pieces of shrimp instead of corn with scent. Anybody tried that? Did it work? Shrimp and krill scent from Pro-cure seems to work well, so I am thinking I might try actual pieces of shrimp. Thoughts?
    Should work... years ago i remenber reading about the "wickiup sandwich". I believe it consisted of corn, maggots, cocktail shrimp, and mealworms.... mainly used for still fishing and jigging.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 02-24-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Every lake fishes different. Won lake I fish green doesn' t work. I've tryied shrimp, maggots didn't have much success.A little piece of Earth worm fish hit. All you can do is try. One thing Kokanee love is scents. Great results with bumble bee tuna oil. Not the water base the oil base mixed with krell, crawdad oil is another. Garlic is used by exotic fish purchases when the fish are shocked by transport they add garlic to help them to start eating.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    Every lake fishes different. Won lake I fish green doesn' t work. I've tryied shrimp, maggots didn't have much success.A little piece of Earth worm fish hit. All you can do is try. One thing Kokanee love is scents. Great results with bumble bee tuna oil. Not the water base the oil base mixed with krell, crawdad oil is another. Garlic is used by exotic fish purchases when the fish are shocked by transport they add garlic to help them to start eating.
    Garlic scent has been my go to scent for sometime. It also works very well for perch.