Thread: New guy from Key Peninsula WA

Default New guy from Key Peninsula WA

Hey all. Just trying this forum thing for the first time. My wife and I bought a boat last year and are looking to learn all we can about kokanee fishing. My name is Bill and we have a 2019 Smokercraft ProTracer 162. I tow with a 2017 F150.

We have caught 1 kokanee on Mason Lake last year. Haven't been able to get out much because I had a new knee installed at the end of September. We are getting the itch to go and I feel ready now.

Welcome Bill. I hope we can answer all your questions. There is more than one way to skin a cat or catch a Kokanee so your results may vary but we will certainly give you some good ideas to start. I assume you have downriggers on your boat? Tell us a little bit about how you have your boat rigged and equipment.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Welcome aboard/ you have so great lakes to fsh in Washington

Default Boat setup

We have a pair of Scotty 1106B downriggers, we have some Lamigllass Kokanee rods with Diawa linecounting reels. The boat has a Honda 50 and I added a minkota trolling motor. I have a Garmin sonar with a 9” display.

I’m not sure which lake I should be fishing. Mason hasn’t been very productive and it is full of skiers much of the year.

Welcome fishingFox... Great to have you aboard and looking forward to reading your reports this year!

Sounds like you are geared well and ready to go. The Washington part of our forum lists all the premiere lakes in Washington and how to fish them. Check it out and see if there are any that are close to you.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Hey Bill,

Welcome aboard. You've come to right place to get kokanee advice of all sorts.

You are lucky to have ample time following knee replacement for recovery and PT before the season begins. I wish you well. I had both knees replaced a few years back, one after school was out in December and the other at spring break, mid March. I was fishing in early May and the only knee concern was ice on the back deck from splashed water. I felt like a pig on ice skates. If you have carpet you'll face less risk, or wait for warmer weather. Working the PT consistently paid off handsomely for me.

I had a hip replaced last November and I'd go fishing today if the lake and the boat weren't frozen in. I also seem to have more mechanical moving parts than my boat, so my judgement is hardly sound.

Here is one thought about kokanee fishing: Kokes are the best fighters I know, pound for pound, and they are also the best eating. It seems to me some people optimize their gear to catch more kokes for eating (and may use heavier gear in order to lose fewer fish). Others optimize for the fight, using very light gear and probably losing more fish. It certainly isn't a perfect trade off, but I see plenty of boats equipped with very heavy gear and boats with very light gear, and not very many with both types. Or perhaps people just fish for kokes with the equipment they already have on board for other species. Try both heavy and light if you can, there is a world of difference.

Best of Luck, Roger