Thread: Chamberlain stacker question

Default Chamberlain stacker question

To begin with I am new here. Located in Oregon and will be new to Kokanee fishing and new to using downrigger's. I just retired, bought a bigger boat which had Scotty downrigger bases installed on each gunnel near the transom and Scotty 12v outlet's.
    I just picked up a pair of Scotty 1101 power downrigger's and have been researching and watching YouTube regarding downrigger use, weights, release clips, stacking etc...
    Through my research I'm impressed with the Chamberlain release's.
    My main question regarding the use of the Chamberlain Stacker 101 is can you drop an additional stacker using the shower curtain clip on to the Chamberlain stacker without it dropping to the downrigger ball?

Welcome aboard ADM and congrats on your retirement. The chamberlain stacker 101 allows you to stack another line above the weight at which there usually is a fishing rig attached at or near the weight. I wouldn't be using a shower curtain with another line unless your running multiple lines on planer boards. Most who stack set the clip approx. 10' above bottom rig. There is a simpler cheaper cost stacker for a clip that a lot of fisher people use. The release clip can purchased separately and comes in different sizes as well as manufacturers and tensions will vary for the type of fishing also adjustable. In the links I supplied is the most commonly used for stacking.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-1172-R...926185&sr=8-45

https://www.amazon.com/Riptail-Stain...926238&sr=8-89
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

I don't think sliding a shower curtain clip with a heavy weight on top of the Chamberlain would be a good idea. It might cause it to slip down the cable or worse yet knock off the expensive Chamberlain release completely. I Personally love the Chamberlain release and would not use anything else. When set correctly, you can load your rods without pulling line out of the clip and at the same time it is sensitive enough to allow a small kokanee to pull it out of the release.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

Quote Originally Posted by KokaneeJoe View Post
    I don't think sliding a shower curtain clip with a heavy weight on top of the Chamberlain would be a good idea. It might cause it to slip down the cable or worse yet knock off the expensive Chamberlain release completely
    That was my question.
    Just wasn't sure how much pressure their cable cam dog required to bump the release down.
    Through my research I found some who "Stack" use this shower curtain ring method to deploy another presentation after the stacked release has tripped. Rather than retrieving the ball and reset the who shabang you would leave the ball and lower rig fishing and simply clip this shower ring with a release and a three oz weight to the cable which would stop at your original stacker cable clip like the one pictured above by Bduck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31rqf6q9q5L._AC_scotty planer release.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	9859

That clip is meant for planer boards. If it was me, I would use Chamberlain release at the bottom and an Offshore release as my stacker release.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I say try them both and see which you like better. In my experience, the Chamberlain is more reliable and ultimately less work even if I have to raise the ball (manually) every time I get a bite. I never have to worry about false release or dragging around a dink for an hour. Others may have a different opinion but it's a just matter of personal preference. Try both and see what you think.
    Old ('79) Chrysler tri-hull with Minn Kota bow mount and Penn manual downriggers.

I use a release very similar to a Chamberlain for my main release clip and in those rare occasions that I might stack I use this: When you stack, you want close to 10' separation. The spring clip makes that easy to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seps-pro-fishing-sure-release-and-stacker-1135896-1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	9861  

I have Scotty DR’s with Chamberlin style releases. I have to stack to run 4 rods so i use the exact release that SuperD pictured above and have no issues.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokaholic View Post
    I have Scotty DR’s with Chamberlin style releases. I have to stack to run 4 rods so i use the exact release that SuperD pictured above and have no issues.
    I will determine that you really cannot stack on top of Chambelin Stacker releases then.
    Thank You all.
    See what I did there?
    [B]
    Not, Thanks Y'all.
    I'm from the Pacific Northwest here,

It's "Thank You All".[/B]
    I will be ordering three(one's a backup) Chamberlain downrigger release and stack with SuperD's suggestion most likely comprised with Shasta tackle adjustable release.

And start saving for 2 more downriggers. Friends don’t let friends stack.

When I stack I have used shuttle hawks with good results. Saves having to retrieve lower set-up when stacker rod hooks up. With a longer way down on our newer boat (and two scotty electrics) I haven't stacked much with the shuttle hawk lately. I would need longer arms to use it efficiently. Bob