Thread: Looking at Big Jon sportsman electric down riggers.

Default Looking at Big Jon sportsman electric down riggers.

Hi All,hope you been having a good season. We have gotten a few up at 11 Mile Res. here in Colorado. Thing is I fish with just my dog and she can’t help with the down riggers which are Cannon manual Lake Trolls. I have used them for a few years, but its a rodeo with manual down riggers.
    CH
    God does not subtract one minute of life for the hours spent fishing.

Downrigger brands can get to be Ford/Chevy debates pretty quick just like boat and motor brands. What was it about Big Jon that attracted you? My personal opinion, which means nothing, is they are uglier than sin. But the bottom line is they will be a huge improvement over manuals.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Downrigger brands can get to be Ford/Chevy debates pretty quick just like boat and motor brands. What was it about Big Jon that attracted you? My personal opinion, which means nothing, is they are uglier than sin. But the bottom line is they will be a huge improvement over manuals.
    Dave, I agree and I’m not knocking Cannon, or any other brands. These Lake trolls have served me well but they are made from a black man made material and man they can get hotter than is comfortably to touch. I don’t like the line counter setup on them. I looked at a bunch of under 1k electric units and the Big Jon Sportsman, looked to be better quality. Made from a lot of billet Aluminum, you can go to a hand crank if needed, and the speed don’t scare the crap out of a slow going old man. I liked what I saw of them on YouTube in use. I checked on spare parts and you can get easy replacements. Made in the USA. Beside they are so simple it makes them beautiful
    CH

I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about them. Your life next summer should be much easier.

I ran a set of big jons for years and really liked them. The flex in the boom is great for seeing what was really going on at the ball,some times you can see the bite on the boom. The only problem i had was with the spring that drove the counter but I think that was rough handling on my part.

I do think that any electric down rigger will help when fishing alone, which I do a lot.

I've been using Big Jon downriggers since the 90's.

Started out with manuals and I now have the Electric Captains Pack.

They are bullet proof and I've never had a problem with them but as stated parts are readily available and easy to install yourself.

The auto stop assembly is rather expensive and you have to wire it in.
    I never installed it, I just keep my drag loose so the spool spins in case I can't hit the stop switch in time.

The billet grade aluminum is great with no tarnish.
    Hose em off and dry.

Big Jon's are big in the East, Cannon's and Scotty's to the West.

I think you'll like them a lot and get many years of use out of them.

Mike
    Last edited by TrackerDV17; 08-30-2019 at 01:46 AM.

Default It’s here and unboxing

Well that was fast, it arrive 2days after the order was placed. Here are a few photos from yesterday. Plan to try it on the Blue Mesa trip next week.
    CH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04F56831-1B1E-4BC0-8F35-5A0FAC654401.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	9804   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6B56F5C5-6ED6-4F1D-B145-5BAC0A7D7E38.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	9805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B27CEFA5-D508-41F5-8A0C-30938961AC54.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	9806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25A1E585-0B6F-45D3-878B-AC4F38021E53.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	9807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F381A32-0C89-442B-9BE1-BDA86F753EA3.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	9808  

Last edited by COfisherman; 08-31-2019 at 12:23 PM.

That's exciting. Now you have some wiring to do. I recommend installing a fuse block and running the downriggers to the fuse block.

All installed, wired and ready to go. Hey Dave the wiring was a snap that seat has a 100 amp/hr AGM that takes care of the kicker motor starting and and steering, under it. So all good. I really like this little down riger, can’t wait to put to good use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	758FCA66-CE72-4449-B625-2333F1D3BC3A.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	9809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67ECE3F1-9CED-4B5E-8B5E-BA97CBF97A1A.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	9810  
    Last edited by COfisherman; 08-31-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Looks like you did a great job on the installation!

Big Jon's have a 10 or 12 amp resettable CB built-in depending on the model / motor.

If you wired directly to the battery like I did you're fine.

Not really necessary to wire to a fuse block unless you want to have a power control switch instead of unplugging it when not in use.

I unplug and remove mine when not in use.

Mike

Yep wired direct to battery, just like you said unplug it when not in use. Gave it trial run to day, boated two 20” bows for smoking. It is very touchy real easy to miss neutral passion when pulling up the weight.
    Make you thinK before switching up or down.
    CH

Welcome to the electric downrigger club.

With a little use controlling the switch won't be a problem.
    I found using my thumb and forefinger on the switch makes it easier to stop.

If you only bought 1 and you can use 2 rods or fish with friends you'll soon have 2 and since friends don't let friends stack you may end up with 3 or 4!!!

You're probably already wondering why you didn't buy electrics in the first place like the rest of us who started with manuals. Lol

Mike
    Last edited by TrackerDV17; 09-03-2019 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerDV17 View Post
    Welcome to the electric downrigger club.

With a little use controlling the switch won't be a problem.
    I found using my thumb and forefinger on the switch makes it easier to stop.

If you only bought 1 and you can use 2 rods or fish with friends you'll soon have 2 and since friends don't let friends stack you may end up with 3 or 4!!!

You're probably already wondering why you didn't buy electrics in the first place like the rest of us who started with manuals. Lol

Mike
    LOL, Mike thanks for the encouragement, the manuals came from my old boat, when Mom bought me the Lund Crossover. She goes with me once in while, but don’t care for down rigger fishing. I do have a second rod stamp for myself and do have the manuals, that can be mounted on the rail mounts I have for the Lund. They can be put on or off in about 3 min, with just a 1/8” alan wrench. They are a nice rigger though.. Any way I like it very much, and will be using it a lot.
    CH