Thread: leader length's

Default leader length's

I'm kinda new to kok fishing and if anyone could share a little info with me it would be appreciated, trying to find out if shorter leader length's work better in the later summer than spring, in other words as the fish get closer to spawn are they more likely or less likely to hit a shorter leader length, when I say leader length I'm talking about the distance of line from the dodger to the lure, just trying to get a general idea, is this idea of shorter leader length in late summer worth messing around with

Thanks/ Greg
    Good Outfit

Greg, I don't know what you consider short but I run relatively short all season. 10" leader from dodger to lure is an approximate average for me.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Greg, I don't know what you consider short but I run relatively short all season. 10" leader from dodger to lure is an approximate average for me.
    Thanks

If you are running a Vance dodger or something of that 4" length then I can understand your 10" length, that is the standard 2 and 1/2 times the length of the dodger set up, I run RMT or Kokabow and they are 6" so I will run 18", 3 times the length of the dodger, most of the season and do very well with that set up, but sometimes I shorten up to 12 or 14" and sometimes it helps but most times that shorter length does not increase the bites, so I'm trying to figure out if they are just not biting , period, or i"m not running a length that gets their attention, I've talked with Chris about this topic at Kokanee.com and even when they are not biting and fishing is slow he says he changes his leader length until they do start biting and he says he can always make a bite happen, so I'm trying to learn the basics about how to determine what length and when to do this or just leave it alone cause they just are not biting, if I don't get bit in 30 minutes I usually will change color, depth, or lure. so anyone out there that has tried this and has some results to share would be appreciated.

Thanks/ Greg
    Good Outfit

10” with the large sling blades. Hootchies won’t dance with long leaders.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk