Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any updates for Buckboard

Default Any updates for Buckboard

My boy and I are heading down Saturday. Anybody fished lately, if so how deep. Have they gone deeper. I will give report upon our return. Thanks.

35' - 40' was the popular depth as was orange for color. However, if you were willing to commit a rod to the deep arches one could be rewarded.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks SuperD That is where we will start.

We only have to catch 6, then it will be trying to thin out some pups.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus60 View Post
    .....will be trying to thin out some pups.
    We caught a 7 pounder on Wednesday and smoked it that night. It was surprisingly delicious!

Nice, I have 2 in the freezer and will smoke them when I get a few more. They are nice smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    We caught a 7 pounder on Wednesday and smoked it that night. It was surprisingly delicious!
    You mention a 7lb Koke, unless I missed something that size would be a state record for more than likely Wyoming. When you say "we" who actually caught it. I know this if it was me I would be enforcing the bragging rights
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

The conversation had switched to Mac pups Roger, try to keep up. Lol.

yeah, I figured it out, my bad. Most who go to the Gorge this time of year is after kokes. I wasn’t use to you talking pups in your vocabulary. 🥴
    2000 F250 7.3L Diesel
    2007 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 kicker 4 Walker Electric Downriggers Raymarine Element HV 9 Uniden Solara VHF

Default Returning to the Gorge

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Hey Dave, Cindy and I will be at Buckboard FS campground end of July thru the second week of August. If you plan on coming down to Buckboard around that time would be good to see you and the wife again. Been a long time since Whiskeytown.

Pat

Pat,
    PM me your phone number. We will be there from the 28th to the 8th.

Last night I wrote a long detailed report just to have the KFF server puke on me. The short version is the last 2 days have been brutally tough. Water temp crested 70 degrees yesterday.

Default July 13-21

We got out for four days and limited out on 3 of em. Pink wedding rings tipped with corn at 35-45 feet worked for us. 1.3 MPH. Hope this helps

Sounds like tough fishing. Going down this weekend. Thinking them kokes are going to be deep with the water temp. Will give report when we get back.

Sounds like tough fishing. Going down this weekend. Thinking them kokes are going to be deep with the water temp. Will give report when we get back.
    Yep, deep. We were there Monday - Wednesday and fished 45 - 50 feet with great success. We also caught several cutthroats, but only one lake trout. All were canned yesterday. I made a cutthroat salad sandwich with some of it yesterday. AWESOME!

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Started at 6 this morning at buckboard. Caught 2 in first 10 minutes. Then took an hour before we got another bite. Lost 4 or 5. Ended up with 6 before getting blown off at around 11. Had a little scare, was trolling with the electric when the wind came up. Went to start the main and wouldn't start. Battery was strong and cranking but wouldn't start. Wind was blowing hard enough that I was not making any headway with the electric and drifting to the east shore. Took cover off and sprayed starting fluid into the intake, still wouldn't fire. Seemed like I wasn't getting spark. got my anchor ready to throw to keep from going on to shore. Pulled 2 spark plugs and they were wet. Dried them off and replaced. Cranked the motor and it sputtered and quit, tried again and it fired up. Think I flooded it when I first cranked it. My ignition switch has a choke that activates when you push it in as you turn the key. Never had this happen in the 10 years I've had the boat. Would not have been to stressed if it was my regular fishing buddy with me but I had Mama and the boy. Anyway I'm grateful it worked out. Was trolling at 45 to 55 ft, 1.4 miles an hour with pink and silver billed squids.
    Last edited by rufus60; 07-28-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Good job working your way out of a pretty serious jamb!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

Started at 6 this morning at buckboard. Caught 2 in first 10 minutes. Then took an hour before we got another bite. Lost 4 or 5. Ended up with 6 before getting blown off at around 11. Had a little scare, was trolling with the electric when the wind came up. Went to start the main and wouldn't start. Battery was strong and cranking but wouldn't start. Wind was blowing hard enough that I was not making any headway with the electric and drifting to the east shore. Took cover off and sprayed starting fluid into the intake, still wouldn't fire. Seemed like I wasn't getting spark. got my anchor ready to throw to keep from going on to shore. Pulled 2 spark plugs and they were wet. Dried them off and replaced. Cranked the motor and it sputtered and quit, tried again and it fired up. Think I flooded it when I first cranked it. My ignition switch has a choke that activates when you push it in as you turn the key. Never had this happen in the 10 years I've had the boat. Would not have been to stressed if it was my regular fishing buddy with me but I had Mama and the boy. Anyway I'm grateful it worked out. Was trolling at 45 to 55 ft, 1.4 miles an hour with pink and silver billed squids.
    Glad you made it back safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Spikesef View Post
    Glad you made it back safe!
    Thanks, things can go south in a hurry. That is a lake not to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by MMDON View Post
    Good job working your way out of a pretty serious jamb!
    Thanks. Was happy, but not as happy as Mama when we got to the Buckboard ramp.
    Last edited by rufus60; 07-29-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks. Was happy, but not as happy as Mama when we got to the Buckboard ramp.
    That is a long run uphill with the wind blowing with a good running boat! Mama is right!!!

Cool Buckboard 7-29-2019

I got my one and only day this summer on the Gorge Monday, I'm hoping I can sneak up there again I grabbed my partner AFDan52 after an ever so slight arm twist and drove to Buckboard. Got a nice pic of the sunrise but by the time we get to our destination big red was already lit up. During the drive also I picked up a hitchhiker or a grill ornament. We got on the water with first rods in at 8am and by 11am we had our limits of kokes, we fished the Breeze Hill area using pink & orange. We caught a couple of 2lb class kokes that made it to the box but highlight of the morning was a nice 4lb that excited both of us as it broke surface then sounded to the deep on 4 occasions. As it got near the boat the fight wasn't done, Dan had a case of whites knuckles holding net and I could tell he wanted to grab the rod out my hands so he can have a taste of the fight but he could see the blood in my eyes and that wasn't going to happen. Dan was very happy netting this silver bullet knowing it was successful[/I] and he first felt the weight of it, the scale tipped in at 4.02lbs. This was the final end of the limit so we decided to stow gear and make a run to the canyons just to enjoy the scenery. After trailering boat and cleaning fish we went over to BS with some friends in from Calif staying at Buckboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I-80 Sunrise.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	9758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bait Gathering 2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	9759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7290008.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	9760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7290012.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	9761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Limits.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	9762  

2000 F250 7.3L Diesel

Nice to see some more fish sneaking into the 4lb class Roger! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bduck View Post
    I got my one and only day this summer on the Gorge Monday, I'm hoping I can sneak up there again I grabbed my partner AFDan52 after an ever so slight arm twist and drove to Buckboard. Got a nice pic of the sunrise but by the time we get to our destination big red was already lit up. During the drive also I picked up a hitchhiker or a grill ornament. We got on the water with first rods in at 8am and by 11am we had our limits of kokes, we fished the Breeze Hill area using pink & orange. We caught a couple of 2lb class kokes that made it to the box but highlight of the morning was a nice 4lb that excited both of us as it broke surface then sounded to the deep on 4 occasions. As it got near the boat the fight wasn't done, Dan had a case of whites knuckles holding net and I could tell he wanted to grab the rod out my hands so he can have a taste of the fight but he could see the blood in my eyes and that wasn't going to happen. Dan was very happy netting this silver bullet knowing it was successful[/I] and he first felt the weight of it, the scale tipped in at 4.02lbs. This was the final end of the limit so we decided to stow gear and make a run to the canyons just to enjoy the scenery. After trailering boat and cleaning fish we went over to BS with some friends in from Calif staying at Buckboard.
    Good report. Happy you had a good trip.

Congrats on the pig Roger. You’ve had a pretty good Koke season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast