Thread: Weekend report.

Default Weekend report.

Arrived at Buckboard Saturday morning about 7am. Fished till 4 pm. Caught 2 dinks and 3 decent kokes. Lost 2. Pretty slow. Came back Sunday at 6am. Needed 4 fish as there was 3 of us. Had our 4 in 15 minutes. Caught 1 in 5 min, then had a triple 10 minutes later and managed to land all 3. So we were done at 615. It would be nice if you could have 6 in possession when you fish 2 days. Makes for high dollar fish when you drive 350 miles and buy a motel. We did fish for Macs till noon but only got 1. We trolled for the kokes at 15 to 25 feet at 1.4 mph. We had best luck with pink billed hoochies. Anybody have suggestions on trolling for Macs. Is Buckboard a good area for Macs. I was trolling 1.8 to 2.2 using rapalas in 90 ft right off the bottom, was marking lots of fish but only 1 bite. Would like to get better at Mac fishing to help thin them out and justify the cost of koke fishing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Does anyone know a good forum for Mac fishing at FG.
    Last edited by rufus60; 06-30-2019 at 08:16 PM.

If you find a good group of small macs, I’ve always dinexwell jigging for em. I think they’re way more apt to hit a tube jig or mister twister topped with sucker meat than they are a rapala. If you want to troll for em, I’ve had better luck on a slower approach. 1.4 or so. Just enough to give the bait a decent wobble. Or you can stick at 2 mph but do constant s turns until they tell you what they want.

Thanks PoK3. I use to jig for them and did good doing what you said. Then I learned how to catch kokes on this forum and bought a bunch of ultra lite rods and quit fishing for them. The lite rods are not ideal for trolling macs but they will work, but would not work for setting a hook or for feeling the bite jigging. I guess I will have to bring jigging rods if I can't figure them out trolling. I will try your trolling tactics next weekend. Thanks for the reply.

I have had decent luck trolling blue cripple lures on downriggers deep for the pups. 5 feet off the bottom is best for me.

Thanks Spikesef. That is about how far off the bottom I was fishing. Maybe they just had lock jaw that day.
    Last edited by rufus60; 07-02-2019 at 07:14 PM.

They do that sometimes. I find that when it’s that deep blue colors work the best. Usually I use a blue dodger in front of em

I have some blue dodgers and blue rapalas I will try Saturday. I know colors fade at depth. If I remember right blue is one that fades the least so that makes sense. Will give you up date when I get back. Thanks.

If you see them on the fishfinder most days you should be able to catch them but some days and time of day they don't bit to good

it is just finding what they like

I like to use spoons 1 1/2" long to 3" blue with white, rainbow, I like some glow

3" j plug works a spinner blade and blue and white glow beads about 7 beads with two hooks

I don't use dodgers a lot for lakers