Thread: Any reports from the gorge Koke fisherman

Default Any reports from the gorge Koke fisherman

Anyone have updates. Ready to go.

Default Flaming Gorge 4-24-19

Bduck and I hit Flaming Gorge yesterday about 0630 am, we launched at Lucerne Marina . 20-25 vehicles in the parking lot when we got there , but we didn't see very many boats not sure where everyone was. Anyway we fished in front of the Pipeline for a couple of hours , we boated 3 nice Kokes about 1.5 lbs. each . Speed was 1.5 - 1.7 mph , water temp was 46 degrees . Kokes were about 25-35 ft. deep , Orange was my colors of choice , but there were not a lot of schools. We marked tons of fish but figured that they were mostly macks due to the size of the arches. Weather was perfect except for some clouds that played with the sun some , until around 11:30 or so when the Wind showed up.
    We left the pipeline area and tried Wild horse , kind of choppy but still fishable , didn't do very well there so we left and went over by the Ranch. We caught 1 more
    nice Kokanee , after about an hour we decide to leave the choppy water and go back to the pipeline but it too was getting pretty choppy so about 2pm we headed back to the Marina. We had a pretty good day to start off our Kokanee season , Looking forward to the next trip , Thank Roger for ride and and some great company.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Good on you guys! if i would have known you two were going up, i could have called a few folks and got you the current scoop on where to fish and where to go.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

​Thanks Mark , I'll remember that next time.
    1997 Starcraft 170, Mariner 90hp ,9.9 Yamaha, Raymarine Element 9HV , Minn Kota I-Pilot

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a decent early season trip. We will be there as soon as we get a weekend without the wind. I will post reports.

Good luck finding that weekend without wind
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Im itching to finally get up there for the season, Just a few more weeks and we will be heading up. just waiting on the new swim deck for the boat to arrive.

Catching kokanee is good but you need to be in the right spot
    and using the right dodgers we had one dodger that was working changed the other 3 downriggers
    and it was kokanee on all the time we missed alot but that was a good thing, it keep us going.
    the kokanee are deeper than you may think, I saw this last year at strawberry right after Ice off the kokes were deep for about two week then they
    started coming up

Thanks for the information. We are itching to get there also, happy to see early season reports. I plan on fishing flaming gorge as much as possible and will be reporting every trip. Great to see activity on this site. Hope it can get back to the way it was 10 years ago, when this group taught me how to catch kokes. I plan on returning the favor.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus60 View Post
    Thanks for the information. We are itching to get there also, happy to see early season reports. I plan on fishing flaming gorge as much as possible and will be reporting every trip. Great to see activity on this site. Hope it can get back to the way it was 10 years ago, when this group taught me how to catch kokes. I plan on returning the favor.
    I知 a fair weather poster lol I値l admit it. I usually only post around the Koke season and not a lot in the off season
    I agree tho that it would be nice to get more traffic back
    Into these forums

Quote Originally Posted by TRUBBS View Post
    I知 a fair weather poster lol I値l admit it. I usually only post around the Koke season and not a lot in the off season
    I agree tho that it would be nice to get more traffic back
    Into these forums
    I also mostly post during the season. But got bummed last season when there was very few posts during the season. I have fished for a ton of fish from crappy to marlin. But 10 years ago I was wanting to try kokes at the gorge. I found this web site and you tube. I watched youtube videos all winter and asked questions on this site, My first trip down in April I felt I knew what to do and limited out on kokes by 10. Everyone on this site answered every question I had. They were very nice and was happy to give information. I want to do the same as payback. I now live in Rawlins and have 15 years of chasing walleye at Semino, Boysen and Glendo if anyone needs info on these lakes. Plan on fishing gorge every weekend possible this year and will be posting info each time.

Default rufus

I just bought a boat in Casper & drive by those lakes more than I want.I would love to catch a walleye.Been fishing gorge 20 years Utah side.Be good to swap info. Thanks.

. But 10 years ago I was wanting to try kokes at the gorge. I found this web site and you tube. I watched youtube videos all winter and asked questions on this site, My first trip down in April I felt I knew what to do and limited out on kokes by 10. Everyone on this site answered every question I had. They were very nice and was happy to give information. I want to do the same as payback. I now live in Rawlins and have 15 years of chasing walleye at Semino, Boysen and Glendo if anyone needs info on these lakes. Plan on fishing gorge every weekend possible this year and will be posting info each time.
    Agreed, I got a lot of my early tips and tricks on how to catch Kokanee from this page & BFT, whats funny is I dont even know what made me want to reallys tart targeting kokanees either, We used to always longline popgear when I was younger and catch bows and some kokannes, then got a bigger boat and down riggers and I decided I wanted to use them, somehow that made me start kokanne fishing, then found out my brother was hunting buddies with one of the guys from RMT and it just spiralled from there. now thats mainly all I sfish for, Kokanne and lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by forum member View Post
    I just bought a boat in Casper & drive by those lakes more than I want.I would love to catch a walleye.Been fishing gorge 20 years Utah side.Be good to swap info. Thanks.
    Any help you need let me know. Great walleye fishing in the lakes I mentioned. I've been doing good the past few years on kokes at the gorge, plan on targeting lake trout more this year. Like trolling for them but my favotite is jigging. Have done a lot of jigging for LT in Canada but only a little at the gorge with so so results. Plan to increase my effort.

Rufus60, I've been dying to learn how to Walleye fish and would love to fish with someone like yourself with firsthand knowledge. If you ever want a student, let me know.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Rufus60, I've been dying to learn how to Walleye fish and would love to fish with someone like yourself with firsthand knowledge. If you ever want a student, let me know.
    Will get back with you on walleye fishing, getting ready to head to Rock Springs tomorrow. My boy has a track meet Saturday. We will spend the night and then go to the Gorge Sunday. Wind report looks so so ,but we are going to give it a shot. Will give report on our return.

Will get back with you on walleye fishing, getting ready to head to Rock Springs tomorrow. My boy has a track meet Saturday. We will spend the night and then go to the Gorge Sunday. Wind report looks so so ,but we are going to give it a shot. Will give report on our return.

Seams the wind is always on its own schedule on the gorge, Good luck! Soon enough we will ne heading up.

Quote Originally Posted by liketrolling View Post
    the kokanee are deeper than you may think, I saw this last year at strawberry right after Ice off the kokes were deep for about two week then they started coming up
    I'm pretty sure that is because the water hasn't stratified yet. The thermocline hasn't formed yet so the fish can be just about at any level they choose. And deep seems to be the preference for kokanee in colder water. But it won't be too much longer to see the thermocline forming and the kokanee at their preferred temperature level. Heading to Manila on June 4th for 3 days. Hoping the Gorge is stratified by then.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I知 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

The Kokanee are off by a lb this year for the large class of fish. 3.5 lbs will win you a tourney this year at the Gorge!
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet