Thread: 2019 Deadwood Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Hybrid View

Default 2019 Deadwood Reservoir Kokanee Fishing Report

Good luck this year to all you Deadheads out there.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Default Deadwood road

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    Good luck this year to all you Deadheads out there.
    Any information on the roads to Deadwood

Default Accessible?

Has anyone been able to get in yet? Route?

Quote Originally Posted by voicebugler View Post
    Has anyone been able to get in yet? Route?
    Talked to Forest Service today..579 is still closed
    Snotel says 40" of snow at Deadwood Summit
    Scott

Lund Pro Sport 1600
    Merc 65

Quote Originally Posted by rem40xb1 View Post
    Any information on the roads to Deadwood
    The route through Cape Horn is open right now according to Lowman Ranger Station.

Default Fished Deadwood 2nd week in june

I fished for 2 days and caught several kookanee 9-11" There are lot's of fish but they are small--Good for the big trout and chinook--I caught 5 chinook biggest 6.5 lbs--Cutthroat are about 1.5-2lbs on average--I didn't keep any fish --Plan to return in about a week

Thanks for your report. Sounds as though changing the Kokanee limit to 15 was premature. How many boats and other Kokanee fisherman did you observe? Was there heavy Kokanee fishing pressure in your opinion?

Default Deadwood fishing pressure

There were only 3 to 5 boats on the water fishing the 2 days I was there--Very typical for deadwood--All the camp grounds were pretty much full but not many boats or fishermen--Most of the people do some type of bank fishing and catch rainbows and cutthroat --Deadwood has never had heavy fishing pressure it only gets fished from about june to august--I go up to deadwood during late july and august and starting in august there is only a few hunters in the area--I have been fishing deadwood for over 30 years and not much has changed in that time--Deadwood has NEVER been over fished--IDFG management plan is a joke when it comes to over harvest at deadwood--Maybe they should spend some time at deadwood and check fishermen and really see how many fish are being caught and not set the management from a desk in some office--I have never seen a game warden at deadwood in 30 years other than the people who collect the eggs and they are usually college kids and a IDFG employee

Default Chinnok

You mind me asking where and how and what you were using for the chinook? I’ve tried several days up there with little success. Just caught one little one is all. Heading up there next week and am super excited to try again thanks! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by rem40xb1 View Post
    I fished for 2 days and caught several kookanee 9-11" There are lot's of fish but they are small--Good for the big trout and chinook--I caught 5 chinook biggest 6.5 lbs--Cutthroat are about 1.5-2lbs on average--I didn't keep any fish --Plan to return in about a week

Default chinook

I always use herring when I fish for chinook--45 to 50 ft deep in the deep channels