Thread: Any news on Blue Mesa 2019

Default Any news on Blue Mesa 2019

I been wounding about The Mesa here in Colorado this year. We have had record snow fall this winter and just getting over a record blizard. Bomb Cyclone2019, LOL. We should get a good run off this spring. Hopping the water level will return to normal? Any thoughts? Any news
    Leave a few for me.
    CH
    Last edited by COfisherman; 03-19-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    God does not subtract one minute of life for the hours spent fishing.

Will heavy run offs equal turbid water and algae blooms? The season might start late in some lakes this year.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Will heavy run offs equal turbid water and algae blooms? The season might start late in some lakes this year.
    You know D I’m not sure about the run off over there. I’m not an exspert on algae. I guess it’s possible? I herd Blue Mesa had a toxic algea bloom a few years ago. The fishing has been good from reports I’ve seen in the past. They have let a lot of water out last year.
    CH
    God does not subtract one minute of life for the hours spent fishing.

Everyone around here (Gunnison area) that fishes is wondering what the upcoming season will be like. Most, including me, are pretty optimistic.

I've seen algae blooms in Blue Mesa in late summer. By July my downrigger lines catch lots of green slime, particularly in the Iola Basin, which is shallower and warmer than the other basins. I think oxygen levels may be part of this problem as well. This is not something I know much about. Once the algae changes from "some green stuff suspended in the water" to something that looks like science fiction, we are out of there. I've seen blooms only a few times in 20 years. Algae on downrigger lines happens every year. Slimy, but not a big deal.

Your questions about Blue Mesa made me curious and I gathered a little background info. I had planned to do a regular Blue Mesa fishing report for 2019 and the info I pulled together will make a good intro for that thread, so I hope you mind if I use it there. Good luck and safe fishing to all those on Blue Mesa this summer. Kokanee64

Here's a link to water levels.

http://bluemesa.water-data.com/