Thread: Wyoming lake trout limits and in possession has gone up.

Default Wyoming lake trout limits and in possession has gone up.

Wyoming has raised lake trout daily limit to 12 per day, possession limit is 24. I think koke fisherman should take advantage of this. They say the pups are chowing down on young kokes. I had several days last year I was limited out on kokes by 10 and then went after pups. With this increase of limit, I think if we target them hard after a limit of kokes we might be able to thin them out a bit. Also the pups are good eating and makes it worth the trip for people traveling hundreds of miles. Not a big change of tactics to go from kokes to LT. I'm going to try to thin as many as I can. Don't know what Utah's limit on LT is.
    Last edited by rufus60; 03-17-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Default Utah limits

From the 2019 Utah Guidebook. Pretty much the same as Wyoming.
    Possession limit changes at Strawberry and Flaming Gorge reservoirs: Starting in 2019, you may have up to two daily limits in your possession when fishing for multiple consecutive days at Strawberry Reservoir or Flaming Gorge Reservoir
    Flaming Gorge Reservoir, Daggett County
    • Limit 4 trout or kokanee salmon (a com-bined total), excluding lake trout, and no more than 3 may be kokanee salmon.
    • Limit 12 lake trout/mackinaw, only 1 may exceed 28 inche

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    From the 2019 Utah Guidebook. Pretty much the same as Wyoming.
    Thanks for info. So everybody who likes fishing for kokes should go for a limit of lake trout. Utah and Wyoming fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus60 View Post
    Thanks for info. So everybody who likes fishing for kokes should go for a limit of lake trout. Utah and Wyoming fishermen.
    I've been doing that for about 4 years now and plan to continue doing so. We enjoy eating them ALMOST as much as kokanee (but not quite ). They are excellent for canning, smoking, and baking.

Bob Hicks, from Utah - I’m 80 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.

How are you targeting your limit of lake trout? We usually catch 2 or 3 as bi catch to our Kokes but wouldn’t have a clue as to targeting them specifically.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    How are you targeting your limit of lake trout? We usually catch 2 or 3 as bi catch to our Kokes but wouldn’t have a clue as to targeting them specifically.
    I mostly troll for them, so basically just change lures and generally go a little deeper. Lake trout prefer a water temp about 3 to 5 degrees cooler than do kokanee and usually that will be a little deeper. Flatfish, spoons, and Rapalas are good choices. Troll speeds will HAVE to be reduced if running flatfish. I usually use spoons first and then try Rapalas and then flatfish. J-plugs will also work but require a slower speed as well.

Some folks prefer to jig for them right off the bottom. Try tube jigs & jigging spoons tipped with some sort of meat bait (sucker/carp meats work well).

I use my kokanee rods when trolling for lake trout, but you will need a rather stiff rod if you plan to jig for them. You'd be hard pressed to set the hook in a laker with a limber kokanee rod while jigging.
    Last edited by dubob; 04-03-2019 at 12:08 PM.

That's great advice Bob. Also a guy can go on youtube and type in trolling for lake trout at flaming gorge and you will see some very good how to videos. I hope koke fisherman take advantage of this. Not only will they get to catch lots of good eating LT, they will also be helping the koke fishing. Bob what speeds do you use for each of the lures you stated. I only use rapalas and troll at 1.2. Would like to try some of the lures you suggested.
    Last edited by rufus60; 04-03-2019 at 07:01 PM.

I think that raising the limit on small macs to 12 is the wrong way to go. Last year when is was eight,people would not keep a limit of eight,so what makes the Game and fish think people will keep twelve? I think that if the smaller macks are as a big of a problem as the g&f say they are.They should of put a do not return to the water alive order on the small macks. They do this with the burbot. This would do more good to thin out the small macks,more then raising the limit will do. If raising the limit does not do what the g&f hopes to accomplish then what ,a reg change to make it mandatory to keep any small mack caught? I don't like the taste of any size mack,and I don't keep any. If I did I would just bring them home and in the garbage they would go. If I do that the I break the law, that is wanton destruction of a game fish.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Exclamation

If there is any success with Mack population reduction it will be because of education about the problem. I will be a yard fertilizer whether it is legal or not.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Default One man's opinion

This is just a general comment and definitely NOT directed at any one individual. The fish & game departments of both Wyoming and Utah have highly educated and well trained professionals working in their respective fish departments. I 100% feel that they are making decisions on their fisheries that are in the best interests of the fisheries AND the users of said fisheries. I also don't believe that either state is making arbitrary decisions about how best to manage the Flaming Gorge lake trout population. I firmly believe that there are lines of communications open state to state and are actually being used to come up with a good, scientifically based management plan.

While some of us like to eat lake trout and others don't, there isn't any reason that we can't all get along with regard to the use of the resource. Neither state has mandated that if you fish Flaming Gorge, you HAVE to target lake trout. If you like/want to eat them, go for it. You can now increase that enjoyment with the increased limit. If you don't like/want to eat them, then don't fish for them. There are plenty of folks that will take advantage of the increased limits. You don't have to catch them just because you can. I'm absolutely, 100% certain that both states are fully aware that not everybody thinks lake trout are edible. They didn't increase the limit to try to entice anglers that don't like to eat them to catch them. But if the folks that do like to eat them can keep 4 more per day, then maybe that will help keep the numbers in check.

The goal here is to effectively manage the resource, not destroy it. The states already know that not everybody will want to harvest lake trout and that is always factored into the management planing. I plan to catch as many as I can, legally, and eat all I catch. Life is good.

Fishermen who don't like eating lakers should try smoking them. They turn out really nice. My family loves them and I have never gave any to friends that didn't like them.

Default Lake trout

I also pressure can a lot of it and then mix it with mayo and finely chopped celery & onions. Makes great sandwiches and goes very well with your favorite crackers.

I can a lot also. Will try this recipe for sure.

Default An amazing fishery

Quote Originally Posted by dubob View Post
    This is just a general comment and definitely NOT directed at any one individual. The fish & game departments of both Wyoming and Utah have highly educated and well trained professionals working in their respective fish departments. I 100% feel that they are making decisions on their fisheries that are in the best interests of the fisheries AND the users of said fisheries. I also don't believe that either state is making arbitrary decisions about how best to manage the Flaming Gorge lake trout population. I firmly believe that there are lines of communications open state to state and are actually being used to come up with a good, scientifically based management plan.

While some of us like to eat lake trout and others don't, there isn't any reason that we can't all get along with regard to the use of the resource. Neither state has mandated that if you fish Flaming Gorge, you HAVE to target lake trout. If you like/want to eat them, go for it. You can now increase that enjoyment with the increased limit. If you don't like/want to eat them, then don't fish for them. There are plenty of folks that will take advantage of the increased limits. You don't have to catch them just because you can. I'm absolutely, 100% certain that both states are fully aware that not everybody thinks lake trout are edible. They didn't increase the limit to try to entice anglers that don't like to eat them to catch them. But if the folks that do like to eat them can keep 4 more per day, then maybe that will help keep the numbers in check.

The goal here is to effectively manage the resource, not destroy it. The states already know that not everybody will want to harvest lake trout and that is always factored into the management planing. I plan to catch as many as I can, legally, and eat all I catch. Life is good.
    Bob. I couldn't agree with you more. I am a native Oregonian youngster ( only 71) and i got to fish Flaming Gorge for the first time last year. I have 3 trips planned to come back this year. We do not have that quality of freshwater fishing anywhere in Oregon. I think your fish and game people are doing an amazing job. I am driving 1400 miles round trip to catch your Kokanee and love catching and eating the rainbows and mac pups as well. You folks are lucky to have such an amazing fishery so close to home. Life is good-keep your rods bent!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    I think that raising the limit on small macs to 12 is the wrong way to go. Last year when is was eight,people would not keep a limit of eight,so what makes the Game and fish think people will keep twelve? I think that if the smaller macks are as a big of a problem as the g&f say they are.They should of put a do not return to the water alive order on the small macks. They do this with the burbot. This would do more good to thin out the small macks,more then raising the limit will do. If raising the limit does not do what the g&f hopes to accomplish then what ,a reg change to make it mandatory to keep any small mack caught? I don't like the taste of any size mack,and I don't keep any. If I did I would just bring them home and in the garbage they would go. If I do that the I break the law, that is wanton destruction of a game fish.

I agree and disagree at the same time.
    I feel this is Plan A to try and help get them in check without wasting any (keeping PEtA people and what not happy first, like others have said another some people don’t like them, there are others who would regular catch there limit of 8 and be done, So I believe DNR is doing right by allowing them to catch more, and Lee 2 days limit.
    If that don’t work or show a decline in numbers I think they would move to Plan B which would be tested something like the burbot, but also has a greater chance of kissing people off and causing a stir.

Just my Uneducated two cents

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I’m the same way, I catch a few “bonus lakers” fishing for Kokanee but never had much luck just specifically going for laker pups.
    I’m gonna have to check out them YouTube videos and see if they will help

You will learn a lot on the youtube videos. Last year when we would get within a couple of our limit on kokes, I would stack and put one lake trout lure down deep and run a koke rig at their depth. Then when we got our limit of kokes it was all LT fishing

Default Lake Trout Lures

While you will probably catch the occasional laker on kokanee tackle, it is not their preferred lure and very hit and miss. Do the research and determine what the best laker lures are and start using them once the kokanee limit is boated. I've found that they will take spoons and needlefish lures trolled with and without dodgers. I'm told the preferred jigging lures are tube jigs tipped with a meat of some sort. Kokanee tackle is not going to be a good choice for lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus60 View Post
    You will learn a lot on the youtube videos. Last year when we would get within a couple of our limit on kokes, I would stack and put one lake trout lure down deep and run a koke rig at their depth. Then when we got our limit of kokes it was all LT fishing
    I looked today and really didn’t see much that looked like it would give much info. Just the one video from the Ksl outdoors and even that didn’t go much into tips.

there is tons of videos. I learned how to koke fish and LT fish on you tube. Im internet challenged also but don't give up, it's all there. If you can't find the videos let me know, will be glad to help. My 12 year old helped me. lol

Type in trolling for lake trout at flaming gorge.

Catching laker pups is not to hard but like any fish you need to find the right lure keep changing till you find what they like
    your fishfinder will show you where there at, if you cant see them you cant catch them

I change my speed all the time say I have a J plug on one down rigger and a spoon on the other changing from 1.5 to 2.3 mph both will be working good at some point

spoons size 1 1/2" to 3" colors I like are blue, rainbow green some time. sometimes glow helps I think they are over 100 types of spoons I like the ones made out of willowleaf spinner blades. but most will work at some point. if you have the right color. it is hard to believe a 1 1/2" spoon will catch a 28" laker but it will,
    J plugs catch me bigger lakers
    sometimes Rapala lures
    Brad's Super Bait Cut Plug they need to be riged right
    pro troll has some that work

a spinner with beads lot of white beads with a glow spinner will put some kind of meat on the hook. like worm
    I don't use flat fish for the pups but I do use them for big lakers will pull them up to 2.3 mph and they work

sometime Berkley Gulp! Alive Minnow and the list goes on

but catching Kokanee is a lot more fun

Quote Originally Posted by liketrolling View Post
    Catching laker pups is not to hard but like any fish you need to find the right lure keep changing till you find what they like
    your fishfinder will show you where there at, if you cant see them you cant catch them

I change my speed all the time say I have a J plug on one down rigger and a spoon on the other changing from 1.5 to 2.3 mph both will be working good at some point

spoons size 1 1/2" to 3" colors I like are blue, rainbow green some time. sometimes glow helps I think they are over 100 types of spoons I like the ones made out of willowleaf spinner blades. but most will work at some point. if you have the right color. it is hard to believe a 1 1/2" spoon will catch a 28" laker but it will,
    J plugs catch me bigger lakers
    sometimes Rapala lures
    Brad's Super Bait Cut Plug they need to be riged right
    pro troll has some that work

a spinner with beads lot of white beads with a glow spinner will put some kind of meat on the hook. like worm
    I don't use flat fish for the pups but I do use them for big lakers will pull them up to 2.3 mph and they work

sometime Berkley Gulp! Alive Minnow and the list goes on

but catching Kokanee is a lot more fun
    Agreed, I like kokes the most, But would like to targer the pups after the limit of kokes are on the boat now to help thin them out. I just swear I am cursed when when it comes to lakers