Thread: Fish Finders

Hybrid View

Default Fish Finders

Looking to upgrade my fish finder and am completely ignorant on the subject. The one we have now is an old Lowrance 520-C so I have a list of questions to bug you experts with.

-Do I need water speed and land speed or just one or the other?
    -Do I need side view and down view?
    -What angle cone should I be looking at?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

On this note we took our boat on its maiden voyage yesterday and even with working all the bug out, managed two nice trout in the boat. Only looking forward to getting better.

Thanks again,
    Clint

Clint,

If you only fish lakes, you'll likely want land speed. Water speed comes into play if you fish current, i.e. rivers or other moving water.

What species do you fish? I fish primarily for suspended fish and haven't found a need for finding structure. If you fish for species that like structure, you'll want to learn DI & SI.

A multi frequency finder will allow you the best of all worlds regarding cone angle as you aren't stuck with just one.

P.S. - Welcome to the group.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I will only be fishing lakes, so non moving water. I will primarily be targeting kokanee and trout trolling and perch and crappie some of the time. I have been doing some research and based on what you stated, I am looking at a Lowrance Hook2 7X with the triple shot. Any issues with this model you've heard of?

P.S. Thanks for the welcome. I am very excited to start catching some kokanee on my own!

The Hook series is a simple entry level system. Have you gone to any stores with display models to play with one? The processors in these units tend to be on the slow side so map regeneration on the GPS side can be rather slow. If you were committed to a Lowrance, I'd try to steer you towards the Elite series.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

That is my next step to go to the store and try demo modes.
    Thank you again for the advice! I really appreciate the help!

If the lakes you typically fish are found on the maps that typically come with the depth finder/gps combos the lowrance is a pretty reasonably priced option. If you want side view and the ability to map the lakes you fish yourself, take a look and the garmin echomaps and the hummin'bird helix series'