Thread: Thoughts on a fish finder?

Hybrid View

Default Thoughts on a fish finder?

My project boat is outfitted with an old Eagle fishfinder. Since I am going to be doing some rewiring, thought I might replace the fishfinder with one that would be excellent for trolling for Kokanee. I used to run Lowrances on my boats, but that was 15 years ago. Not at all up to date on fishing electronics. Any suggestions?

Budget plays the biggest factor in selecting electronics so knowing what you'd like to spend would be my first question. My second and third question would be whether you have interest in down imaging or side imaging?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Like Dave says find out what features are important to you and get the best you can afford. One thing I will add is screan size is something to look at. The older I get the bigger screan need.

...... and going from what you have, anything you upgrade to will seem great.
    Last edited by SuperD; 03-11-2019 at 12:19 PM.

I am also interested in what your suggestions would be. I have an older first gen hds that gave me a few problems last season, so I've been considering an upgrade. To those of you who have side and down scan, is it worth the price of admission and do you utilize it for kokanee in any way? Secondly, what functions do you guys find most critical for kokanee fishing? I hope I didn't hi-jack this thread, I'm pretty green to these forums as well. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksdad View Post
    I am also interested in what your suggestions would be. I have an older first gen hds that gave me a few problems last season, so I've been considering an upgrade. To those of you who have side and down scan, is it worth the price of admission and do you utilize it for kokanee in any way? Secondly, what functions do you guys find most critical for kokanee fishing? I hope I didn't hi-jack this thread, I'm pretty green to these forums as well. Thanks
    side and down scan are a waste of money in my opinion . i ran a hds 10 with the side scan module . happy with the just the hds

Thanks for the inputs.

From a budget perspective, hadn’t really thought about it. Best answer would be hopefully under $1,000.

From a use perspective...trolling for Kokanee across the Western States, maybe some trout in smaller lakes. Not sure about down, side, CHIRP, looking for advice.

Screen size, not a lot of room on the boat, so maybe 7”. Unit in the boat now is maybe 3.5”

Would like to stay with a well known manufacturer like Garmin, Lowrance, Hummingbird, etc.

Last fresh water boat was in 1997, so way out of date!

Last Spring, I paid $799 for a Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp. I’m not a bells & whistle user like some and found it to be great for Kokes and trout at a price that didn’t break the bank. Humminbird has just recently released the new Gen3 Helix and I’ve heard the upgrades were marginal and a significant jump in price. The Gen2 are still available and I think worth you taking a look at.

Spent a few hours looking at specs and reviews on Lowrance, Garmin and Bottomline. Think I agree that I want the Hummingbird Helix in either 7 or 9 inch screen. They make a version with chirp, SI and DI. Haven’t found a good source for the Gen2 but Gen3 might be on sale...will start watching for it. Thanks!